"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Stove Top Smoker - Carbon Monoxide

I'm smoking some chicken thighs on the Stove Top. While relishing the aroma I started to think... smoke is smoke is carbon monoxide. Are these stove tops really safe?

I'm guessing it is all pretty relevant.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I'm smoking some chicken thighs on the Stove Top. While relishing the aroma I started to think... smoke is smoke is carbon monoxide. Are these stove tops really safe?

I'm guessing it is all pretty relevant.
Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. Smoke is a collection of airborne particulates and gases. As long as you have your vent fan on, it should not be a problem.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:16 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. Smoke is a collection of airborne particulates and gases. As long as you have your vent fan on, it should not be a problem.
...assuming your vent fan exhausts to the outdoors.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Somehow I don't think this is a real issue. We don't use our stovetop smoker more than a few times a year, so I am not concerned with this issue.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:05 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Thank You, I know Carbon monoxide is odorless but doesn't mean it can't be mixed with odors! LOL
Thanks, I did not actually think about the definition of smoke. So, I guess "Smokeless Stovetop Smoker" is a misnomer!

and yes, I did have my vent going. My 'Smoke Alarm' goes off with boiling water (which means it is not a "smoke" alarm but a particle alarm?)

FYI, we have a law here, our gas stoves cannot legally be connected unless there is a stove vent already installed.

And supper was delicious - Hickory smoked Thighs with Chinese 5-Spice. Sooo good. Think I will try the same marinade with a chunk of Salmon!

Tags
smoker, stove