Tips on cooking Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidefx

Assistant Cook
I just attempted cooking my first brisket on a Webber bbq, the round one where I can lift up part of the grill to put more coals in.

It tasted pretty good, but it was a lot less tender than I had hoped. Does anyone have any experience with this? I cooked it about 5 hours, I originally planned on cooking about 8 but apparently the heat was too high.

I've always like the grill idea, but like you, mine was tough also (due to undercooking before burning the outside). Then I began using an oven bag and roasting pan. I put in the brisket, pour in a bottle or two of BBQ sauce, shake to coat, seal the bag and bake at 225 for 12-14 hours. It never fails to produce brisket that simply falls apart tender!

brisket in the oven being braised is faster than open on a grill in a smoke pit. low and slow is the game plan, and most smokers for brisket I've seen have a good deal of space so the meat is not too close to the heat.

In your webber did you bank your coals on one side or both sides(with meat in middle)??

brisket in the oven being braised is faster than open on a grill in a smoke pit. low and slow is the game plan, and most smokers for brisket I've seen have a good deal of space so the meat is not too close to the heat.

In your webber did you bank your coals on one side or both sides(with meat in middle)??

I just did coals on one side, and then the brisket around the middle. Maybe I need to move it all the way to the far side of the coals...

In BBQ competitions I've seen on TV, they wrap the brisket in foil for part of the cooking time. Also, they cook for about 12 hours. The temp. in the smoker/grill should be around 225 F.

Also, if you don't slice it properly, perfect cooking techniques will be wasted. You have to slice brisket across the grain.

In BBQ competitions I've seen on TV, they wrap the brisket in foil for part of the cooking time. Also, they cook for about 12 hours. The temp. in the smoker/grill should be around 225 F.

Also, if you don't slice it properly, perfect cooking techniques will be wasted. You have to slice brisket across the grain.

Do you know if they wrap it in foil for the first half or second?

Do you know if they wrap it in foil for the first half or second?

I haven't done a brisket yet, though I think there will be one this summer. I can't imagine wrapping it too soon and not allowing the smoke to get to it right nice first.

I have seen some tips that suggest placing it in a foil pan so it smokes in its own juice.

I am not a huge fan of brisket, though it is nice to have on occasion.

Brisket has a lot of connective tissue in it an needs to be cooked/smoked low and slow (@ 225 as Andy suggested) or braised the same way.

I love Brisket. It is my favorite meat for smoking but it is not a speedy cook. I cook Brisket in the smoker at 225-250 until the internal temp is 180-190. Use the tooth pick test at the end. The tooth pick should slide into the meat as it would butter. I let cool for an hour and slice cross grain. Last one I did took 12 hours.

Attachments

• 2-1-09 9.jpg
    2-1-09 9.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 272
I love Brisket. It is my favorite meat for smoking but it is not a speedy cook. I cook Brisket in the smoker at 225-250 until the internal temp is 180-190. Use the tooth pick test at the end. The tooth pick should slide into the meat as it would butter. I let cool for an hour and slice cross grain. Last one I did took 12 hours.

How do you know what the temperature is outside the meat, is there a thermometer on the smoker? My BBQ is just a basic Webber so I've been just trying to estimate the temp..

I use a Maverick Redicheck dual probe thermometer. One probe for the meat, one for the box and a display next to the couch. :)

brisket on the grill is great, but because of the type the meat it is and need for a long slow cooking I like to marinade brisket ahead of time.

Wow, Paymaster, NICE smoke ring!

I think it is hard to maintain a good low temperature in a Weber for the amount of time that it takes to cook a brisket, so this is what I do:
Start the brisket over a low indirect fire on the Weber, with a pan in the middle underneath with some liquid in it, water or beer or apple juice. I soak some hickory or applewood chips in water for an hour or so and then place them in punctured aluminum foil on the coals for smoke. (If they don't smoke, take the chips out of the foil.) I spray the meat with applejuice. Try to keep the temp around 225F by adjusting vents.

After 3-4 hours (when the fire's pretty much out), rather than wrapping it in foil and fighting with the grill for the next 9 hours to keep the temp around 225, I wrap the brisket in foil and cook it in the oven at 235F, or I drop it (without foil) in a Crockpot on low for about 8 hours. In the oven, I'll unwrap it once the internal temp is about 185 and I'll crank the heat up and baste it with BBq sauce and leave it in another 15 minutes. If I'm using the crockpot I'll add half a cup or so of apple juice to the pot when I add the brisket.

My smoker has a thermometer in the lid as well. The difference from grate to the thermometer is about 50 degrees. I like to run my smoker around 225. If the hood thermometer is reading that I am too hot.

I just attempted cooking my first brisket on a Webber bbq, the round one where I can lift up part of the grill to put more coals in.

It tasted pretty good, but it was a lot less tender than I had hoped. Does anyone have any experience with this? I cooked it about 5 hours, I originally planned on cooking about 8 but apparently the heat was too high.

Wherever you cook brisket -- oven or smoker -- you have to cook it low and slow. Any other method will give unsatisfactory results, like tough meat, or undercooked meat, or both.

We like to cook it a day ahead of when we plan to serve it, chill it well and remove all the fat before slicing it and putting back in the sauce for reheating.

I have a 9 lb. brisket in my refrigerator, waiting to be cooked. Actually, it's been waiting in the freezer for about a year and a half, but it's time has finally come. DH loves to buy big pieces of meat, but he got carried away with this one. He says we'll lose about 1/3 when he trims it up, though.
I'm going to do it in the oven, low and slow, for at least 8 hours; will probably put it on at 225 before I go to bed tonight.
What about seasonings? I plan to make several different meals out of it, so I thought probably just salt, pepper and garlic, plus some kind of liquid. I've looked at several recipes, and some use vinegar, wine, beef broth, beer, or tomatoes. What do you all use?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom