Two At A Time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
Sorry For the technical difficulties on my part!

Anyway, Two 8 lb. Pork butts BBQed on Saturday! One is gone, and I am starting on the second one! ;)

Last edited:
"Come to Papa!"
img_489931_0_eb454ddc5b0dce88f760b4d07c8fd957.gif

Thanks everyone! Obviously, I left out a few details in my frustration of posting the pictures! :ohmy:

So, The fat caps of both butts were removed and a rub was liberally applied 24 hours in advance consisting of Onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, ground celery seed, ground allspice, chili powder, ground bay leaf, dry mustard, salt, and a homemade creole/cajun seasoning.

They were cooked at 210*-235* to an internal temperature of 190* in the thickest part. During cooking they were basted with a basting sauce consisting of Defatted chicken stock, vinegar, water, lee & Perrins, 4 cloves of garlic, thyme, cumin, 1 medium onion, 1 rib of celery, 2 bay leaves, green onion, bell pepper, and 4 or 5 tablespoons of the rub , some salt, and black pepper all brought to a good simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Fuel was approx. 20-25 lbs lump and 5 lbs briquettes charcoal.
Flavoring wood, was 1 egg size chunk of hickory, and 1 egg size chunk of cherry. Total cook time approx. 14 hours!

Enjoy!!

bob ... looks great .. where did you get those
thermometers that sit in the smoker ?

bob ... looks great .. where did you get those
thermometers that sit in the smoker ?

A Hotel & Restaurant Supply! They are oven thermometers. When I "Q" I don't go by the clock, but rather temperature. At least two inside, 1 on the cooker, and also a probe type.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom