Two foods sharing the smoker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMJ

Senior Cook
If I was to smoke both baby back ribs and a salmon fillet at once, would the flavors migrate and mingle and probably ruin both, or would they be expected to more or less keep to themselves? This is a real question, don't laugh. :huh:

It's true that the flavors won't interfere with each other but ribs and salmon need different temperatures. Well, it's not totally necessary, but ribs should be done around 200-225 and salmon (you're obviously hot smoking it) should be no more than 180.

Salmon is best when you can keep the fats and juices inside the flesh and higher temperatures will cause more contraction and loss.

-Stooxie

It's true that the flavors won't interfere with each other but ribs and salmon need different temperatures. Well, it's not totally necessary, but ribs should be done around 200-225 and salmon (you're obviously hot smoking it) should be no more than 180.

Salmon is best when you can keep the fats and juices inside the flesh and higher temperatures will cause more contraction and loss.

-Stooxie

Thanks Stooxie,

Someday I'll have that sort of control over my smoker (needs better ventilation, especially a grate or something in the bottom to keep the coals off the intake holes)... Right now it's all I can do to keep the fire in an acceptable range for anything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom