What are you smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want to try pecan, buy some nuts and save the shells after removing the nut meats. (Or crunch up the nuts and use the meat and shells together.) I put them into a little cast iron container, or into a folded up piece of aluminum foil.

I do that with hickory, too--I have a tree in the back yard, and lots of times I will pick up nuts and hulls rather than cut a branch off. When I do use the wood, I pick a slender, green branch and cut it into short lengths with a pair of loppers.

Probably sacrilegious, huh?

If you want to try pecan, buy some nuts and save the shells after removing the nut meats. (Or crunch up the nuts and use the meat and shells together.) I put them into a little cast iron container, or into a folded up piece of aluminum foil.

I do that with hickory, too--I have a tree in the back yard, and lots of times I will pick up nuts and hulls rather than cut a branch off. When I do use the wood, I pick a slender, green branch and cut it into short lengths with a pair of loppers.

Probably sacrilegious, huh?

It was growing there just for you to use it that way. More of a celebration.

That's a great idea, sparrowgrass. I never see pecan chips/wood around me and didn't want to online it. Thanks.

Two Sundays ago I preped some pork loin for Tasso. I let it cure in the fridge with a spice rub for 7 full days. Last Sunday I hot smoked (350) it using pecan logs in my stick burner. Usually we do Andouille at the same time, but I didn't have a chance to pick up some natural casings.

We had been jonesing for some "Mac and Cheese My Way", a recipe from Jan Birnbaum, that we saw on one of Michael Chiarello's episodes.;)

Craig

Two Sundays ago I preped some pork loin for Tasso. I let it cure in the fridge with a spice rub for 7 full days. Last Sunday I hot smoked (350) it using pecan logs in my stick burner. Usually we do Andouille at the same time, but I didn't have a chance to pick up some natural casings.

We had been jonesing for some "Mac and Cheese My Way", a recipe from Jan Birnbaum, that we saw on one of Michael Chiarello's episodes.;)

Craig

Do you have a link?:chef:

Do you have a link?:chef:

How about this.

Macaroni and Cheese My Way Recipe courtesy Jan Birnbaum
Show: Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello
Episode: Pot luck Challenge

18 pieces extra-large shell pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup tasso ham or bacon
5 large shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, mined
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup white wine
2 cups cream
1 cup grated fontina
1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
18 medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups gently packed spinach
Kosher salt and ground white pepper
Hot pepper sauce, to taste (recommended: Tabasco)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves
Preheat broiler.
Bring a large post of water to a rolling boil, add pasta shells and cook al dente, according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add the olive oil and tasso or bacon, cook until just crisp,
then add shallots and garlic. Cook and stir over moderate heat just until shallots are translucent. Add the flour, cook stirring constantly to blend and toast the flour, about 5 minutes. Add the white wine, reduce until almost dry. Add the cream, bring to a simmer until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses, shrimp and spinach. Gently stir until cheese is melted, spinach is wilted and shrimp is beginning to turn pink. Season with salt and white pepper, to taste. Season with hot sauce, to taste.
Drain the pasta, making sure to shake all of the water off and out of the shells.
In a large ovenproof baking dish, place drained shells. Add the cheese and shrimp mixture and gently fold into the pasta. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and chopped parsley. Place under the broiler until the breadcrumbs are toasted about 2 to 3 minutes.

You owe me a sack of crawfish!;) J/K

Craig

This is a normal load for the cooker when we do Andouille and Tasso. The butts are just fillers.:LOL:

75850-s-0.jpg

Craig

Well, the weather is warm and lovely for today, so I'm going to smoke a salmon. Anyone else smoking today?

Wow! Almost a year to the day, we did a load of Tasso and Andouille over the "New Years" weekend.;)

Craig

I'm smoking a chicken this weekend. It'll be my first smoke ever on the electric UDS I got for Christmas. I want to replicate these smoked whole chickens we used to buy from the church growing up. They were so moist and melt-in-your mouth tender. If I remember right, they cut out the backbone so it lays flat.

I'm smoking a chicken this weekend. It'll be my first smoke ever on the electric UDS I got for Christmas. I want to replicate these smoked whole chickens we used to buy from the church growing up. They were so moist and melt-in-your mouth tender. If I remember right, they cut out the backbone so it lays flat.

Good eatings to you with your new purchase. I just received a portable gas grill on Ebay for $29 + $8 shipping. Very hard to find. I'm giving it a go this weekend. Just like you, I used to bbq game hens on this type lava rock gas grill. I adapted "Son of Hibachi's" D battery operated Rotisserie ($29) to work with this unit. I had this setup working years ago, but lost touch with it.

I replaced the lava rocks with ceramic briquettes for less flare ups. This is the basic model bbq that's hard to find now.
I'll post pics showing the rotisserie and explain how it was adapted to fit.

Attachments

• P-170bbq1.jpg
    P-170bbq1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 176
  • P-170bbq2.jpg
    P-170bbq2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Congratulations on your new UDS! You'll definitely enjoy your new cooker. :D
As for smoking chicken, go light with the smoke wood as poultry sucks up lots of smoke like sponge.

Congratulations on your new UDS! You'll definitely enjoy your new cooker. :D
As for smoking chicken, go light with the smoke wood as poultry sucks up lots of smoke like sponge.

I've smoked turkey and chicken with cherry wood and really like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom