Wild Pig Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paymaster

Sous Chef
My son shot a pigs last hunting season and he brought the two hind quarters to me to smoke this weekend. I put them on the Akorn and smoked the at 250*. I put rub on only one. My daughter in law wanted one with no rub. I did a couple fatties for some friends while I was at it.

img_1280878_0_0a3882d4a06177acf7220d67ecc07d2b.jpg

img_1280878_1_c404a8ef814d2e5d0a458b96524465ff.jpg

img_1280878_2_0b2b10e20581a41132e49790c2cfea65.jpg

img_1280878_3_1183bc719d4b1a43bea1aca59cf5aacb.jpg

img_1280878_4_7680cecff231dc7dbc27aba1fae52e5b.jpg

img_1280878_5_801dd63f3772a5cff08546e11bc18689.jpg

How did it taste? Wild hog can be very dry and stringy. From your pics, that meat looks very dry.

How did it taste? Wild hog can be very dry and stringy. From your pics, that meat looks very dry.
Was not dry at all. Certainly not a moist as fattened pigs but was very tasty and plenty moist.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Those look great! Now I'm hungry for pork! ?

You mean that there is ever a time when you're not hungry for pork!:ohmy:

I'll eat pork at any time, day or night. Why, I'd eat pork in the middle of a Yooper blizzard, in a bathing suit, if that was the only way I could get it.:LOL:

Well, maybe not. But then again, I am known for doing really crazy things sometimes. I've gone snowmobiling in blue jeans and a tea-shirt before. So, maybe.;)

And paymaaster, your cooking could really tempt me. So I'm asking, begging, please, don't go cooking up any of your fantastic fatties, or Q, in the middle of a Yooper Blizzard. And if you do, make sure that I get to be the first in line. At my age, I'm slightly less bullet proof than I once was.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'll eat pork at any time, day or night. Why, I'd eat pork in the middle of a Yooper blizzard, in a bathing suit, if that was the only way I could get it.:LOL:

Well, maybe not. But then again, I am known for doing really crazy things sometimes. I've gone snowmobiling in blue jeans and a tea-shirt before. So, maybe.;)

And paymaaster, your cooking could really tempt me. So I'm asking, begging, please, don't go cooking up any of your fantastic fatties, or Q, in the middle of a Yooper Blizzard. And if you do, make sure that I get to be the first in line. At my age, I'm slightly less bullet proof than I once was.;)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Ok, most of the time...you are right! I have a pork shoulder in the crock pot today for pulled pork tonight. It smells Wonderful!

Lol I have somehow become addicted to the art of the Q now that I've figured how to control my smoker. Alas we live in Ohio (but vacation near the UP in Michigan ;-)) and my husband has informed me that he doesn't care if we have a garage I will not be freezing myself in the cold to make BBQ. Ah well I ca

Lol I have somehow become addicted to the art of the Q now that I've figured how to control my smoker. Alas we live in Ohio (but vacation near the UP in Michigan ;-)) and my husband has informed me that he doesn't care if we have a garage I will not be freezing myself in the cold to make BBQ. Ah well I ca

Tell you husband that I (Chief Longwind) dig a hole in the snow, about 8 foot in diameter, all the way to the ground, and a pathway out to it, through 3 to 4 foot of snow, and bank the snow into a 6 foot high windbreak on the west side. I'm attaching a couple of pictures, from early in the snow season. Believe me, it gets deeper, enough to make you :wacko:. I've been known to smoke a turkey, or grill steaks during very cold snowstorms.:LOL:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• DSCF0195.jpg
    DSCF0195.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCF0197.jpg
    DSCF0197.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 289
Tell you husband that I (Chief Longwind) dig a hole in the snow, about 8 foot in diameter, all the way to the ground, and a pathway out to it, through 3 to 4 foot of snow, and bank the snow into a 6 foot high windbreak on the west side. I'm attaching a couple of pictures, from early in the snow season. Believe me, it gets deeper, enough to make you :wacko:. I've been known to smoke a turkey, or grill steaks during very cold snowstorms.:LOL:

Ahhh, Chief Longwind, how I admire you!

Chief, that last photo looks like it could be Mrs. Longwind doing the "crazy" thing with her finger. Probably not, since she loves ya! To me you aren't crazy, you're my hero! :flowers:

Wow, that is a lot of snow...it looks quite piled up out front of your house :ohmy:

Wow, that is a lot of snow...it looks quite piled up out front of your house :ohmy:

That ain't nothin'. The county saw fit to push back the snow banks on either side of my driveway, with a front-end loader, and dump a 10 foot high mountain of snow on my blueberry plants. I feared the worst. Fortunately, blueberry is tough. I had only a few branches break. As the song says, "Sad but true". The plants bounced back with a vengeance this summer, and have more than doubled the branches it had last year, with the older branches producing more blue berries than ever.

And yeh, it was a very snowy year.

Back
Top Bottom