48 hrs. Marinaded Tri-Tip O Yea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It takes a little muscle power to drive those blades into the meat. But you're right, I think it needs at least 2 passes throughout, both sides, to really make a difference.

Next week I'll try this tool on a piece of flat iron steak, one of my favorite cuts.

The way I do it is to make a complete pass in one direction, rotate 90 degrees and go across again, then do the same on the opposite side.

My tool looks like this. I can apply a fair amount of downward force with it. I just pound away covering the surface several times then turn the meat over and repeat. I use it mostly on flank steak.

Attachments

• meat_tenderizer__87151.1326295036.1280.1280.jpg
    meat_tenderizer__87151.1326295036.1280.1280.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 254
It takes a little muscle power to drive those blades into the meat. But you're right, I think it needs at least 2 passes throughout, both sides, to really make a difference.

Next week I'll try this tool on a piece of flat iron steak, one of my favorite cuts.

I'm glad to hear that about flat iron steak RF as I've never done one. I wanted a flank steak but were told this Von's doesn't even stock them.
In the old days, they were quite inexpensive but even in Costco the price of them now is mind boggling. :ohmy:

I buy flank steak at Costco as that's the best price. It comes in a two-pack. I cut one up for pepper steaks and freeze them. I either grill or stuff the other.

My tool looks like this. I can apply a fair amount of downward force with it. I just pound away covering the surface several times then turn the meat over and repeat. I use it mostly on flank steak.

The Jaccard type has 48 flat blades, rather than round needles, with a sharpened, angled tip, so they cut like 48 small knives. I find it does a better job of cutting through tough connective tissue, which is after all what the tool is designed to do. You can see the blades in this photo:

img_1441883_0_66b26adbc9d4cea086fecb952536f3ef.jpg

The Jaccard type has 48 flat blades, rather than round needles, with a sharpened, angled tip, so they cut like 48 small knives. I find it does a better job of cutting through tough connective tissue, which is after all what the tool is designed to do. You can see the blades in this photo:

img_1441897_0_66b26adbc9d4cea086fecb952536f3ef.jpg

You could be tight, Rick. However, my cheapo tenderizer seems to do the job the few times a year I use it.

Since I do much more open grilling than smoking, I'd like to one day install a Santa Maria style grill. I've looked at a few over the past several years from self-installed drop-in kits to fully assembled stand alone units. Lot of them are good, but I've also seen some junk out there too.

Last edited:
Hi Ross, it's right check the internal temperature of the meat, but it is very important that cooking is not too violen, because the meat tends to become hard, loses all its fluids. I usually a roast or any other type of beef, do blanch in grill a few minutes to form the crust and then step in the oven at temperature from 90 to 120 °, and the meat remains tender rich in its juices. Mario

You could be tight, Rick. However, my cheapo tenderizer seems to do the job the few times a year I use it.
I have the same kind Andy. I used it once and haven't bothered again, since it didn't seem to make the meat more tender. If you say that it seems to do the job for you, I'll give it another try before putting in the box of stuff to donate. I'll give the meat a more thorough going over next time.

I have the same kind Andy. I used it once and haven't bothered again, since it didn't seem to make the meat more tender. If you say that it seems to do the job for you, I'll give it another try before putting in the box of stuff to donate. I'll give the meat a more thorough going over next time.

TL, don't be afraid to make a LOT of holes. I stab all over repeatedly, not just once around and done.

Back
Top Bottom