Adding smoke on a gas grill.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It must be heck having to pick out those pecan chips when it's time to eat! :LOL:

Sowwy....anyway - where did you buy your pecan?

Jeff, good for you. It really kicks up gas grilling, doesn't it? And like someone else mentioned, there is no need to soak wood chunks or chips. If you get a chance to buy chunks do that. Try some Hickory but only use a chunk or two. REALLY smoky and wonderful! Do you indirect cook at all?

Actually, the pork loin was indirectly heated. My grill has 3 independent burners front to back. When I turned the head down, I left only the rear burner on(the chips were back there). The loin was not directly over the flame source, but well in front of it. It's a definite improvement on flavor!!!

It must be heck having to pick out those pecan chips when it's time to eat! :LOL:

Sowwy....anyway - where did you buy your pecan?

You mean I was supposed to pick out the pecan chips before eating the chicken???? :rolleyes: Now you tell me.
When I re-read my post, it sure looked like I added them to the chicken instead of the charcoal.

Seriously, I buy my pecan chips at Home Depot. They don't always have them so I buy a couple of bags when they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's a very good point you have there.
But I don't even know where to get chunks around here..... And they could always be broken down to fit if I ever find them :)

I'll cut up some firewood logs sometimes. I have oak, cherry, birch and apple on hand all the time. I use a chainsaw or my bandsaw.

I do have access to cherry and apple trees. And my black walnut is always losing branches in a windstorm..... hmmm. I've been wasting good smoking wood all this time?

I do have access to cherry and apple trees. And my black walnut is always losing branches in a windstorm..... hmmm. I've been wasting good smoking wood all this time?

Apple chips are terrific on pork and trout. I've never used cherry but would imagine that would be good with salmon and chicken also, since there are so many recipes for cherry sauce on those two foods. From what I read, black walnut wood gives off a very bitter smoke flavor.

I'm not a fan of walnut from using it in my woodshop. I love the wood but dislike the smell it gives off while cutting it. I guess I could burn a small piece to see if the scent changes.

So basically what we're saying here is; if it smells good when it smokes, it's OK to smoke food with..... as long as it is a tree that also produces a food, like nuts or fruits..... right?

So basically what we're saying here is; if it smells good when it smokes, it's OK to smoke food with..... as long as it is a tree that also produces a food, like nuts or fruits..... right?

Not necessarily. Oak is a great wood for long, slow smoking and it produces no food except for the squirrels. :)

Not necessarily. Oak is a great wood for long, slow smoking and it produces no food except for the squirrels. :)

Actually, properly prepared acorns used to be made into flour for cooking by Native Americans. The process involved a lot of soaking in running water then drying.

I don't think Mesquite has a fruit you eat and it is great for smoking.
Then there is cedar.... While you want to use is sparingly, it is used in cooking. Spanish cedar has a very nice aroma.

Actually, properly prepared acorns used to be made into flour for cooking by Native Americans. The process involved a lot of soaking in running water then drying.

I don't think Mesquite has a fruit you eat and it is great for smoking.
Then there is cedar.... While you want to use is sparingly, it is used in cooking. Spanish cedar has a very nice aroma.

I have a couple of mesquite trees in my yard in Vegas and they produce no fruit or nuts. They just stand there and do nothing but look good. :LOL: The wood is famous for smoking steaks and chops.

As for the acorns, well, now you're stretching it. LOL.

My actual useage was "....a food, like nuts or fruit"

I was trying to separate the nut bearing trees from the pine cone bearing ones because I don't think pine wood make good smoking wood..... but then I can't see myself eating cedar flavored food either :huh:

I was trying to separate the nut bearing trees from the pine cone bearing ones because I don't think pine wood make good smoking wood..... but then I can't see myself eating cedar flavored food either :huh:

Ohhhh you're missing one of life's pleasures. Google "cedar planked salmon" and you'll change your mind. This is one of the best ways to eat salmon. The salmon is cooked on the grill directly on the cedar plank and it gives off a delicate wood flavor and it is delicious. You ain't heard the last of this yet. :LOL:

Pine wood is definitely not recommended for cooking since it's a soft wood and would burn easily. It also gives off a toxic resin so stay away from pine.

Back
Top Bottom