Alligator Tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Alligator Tail

4 Alligator tail steaks, about 3/4" thick
Milk for marinade
1/2 ts Fresh ground black pepper
1/4 ts Cayenne pepper
1 tb Rosemary
Red pepper flakes

Place milk in a deep bowl, add pepper flakes and rosemary. Season meat with black and cayenne peppers. Place meat in the bowl, add milk as needed to cover. Let marinate 3-4 hours.

Remove meat from marinade, discard marinade. Pat the meat dry. Re-season the meat, if desired, with black and red peppers. Add salt to taste, if desired.

Brush meat with olive oil to reduce sticking, and grill over hot coals, or over medium heat in a gas grill for about 10 minutes each side, brushing with oil again when turning.

What's alligator meat like? I'd love to try some but there isn't much of a demand for gators in Ohio. I'd order some if it's pretty good!

Hi DC, lived in Orlando for many years.

Would routinely take guests to try alligator, tail and ribs.

For us it was one of those, "Do we have to do this again?" experiences.

IMHO the stuff is not very good.

If you are in a place where you can taste it, sure, give it a shot.

Then you can say you have tried it.

But I would not spend a lot of money ordering it on the web.

It is bland and not very interesting.

Just my opinion, but you do not see many articles or TV shows devoted to gator meat.

Thanks, auntdot! I guess there's a reason that I've never heard of 'gator mignon,' huh? :LOL: Bang, thanks for the website. I might just take a shot at the sausage! 6 bucks a pound isn't too bad! :cool:

DampCharcoal said:
Thanks, auntdot! I guess there's a reason that I've never heard of 'gator mignon,' huh? :LOL: Bang, thanks for the website. I might just take a shot at the sausage! 6 bucks a pound isn't too bad! :cool:

I am thinkin about getin some too at that price.

As usual, I have two pretty good stories on this subject..but not on this thread. Every subject that comes up it takes me down memory lane..LOL

Back
Top Bottom