Angus beef is superior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve A said:
As a chef, a griller and a former meat cutter I'll weigh in on this discussion.

The breed of animal is less important than other items. Diet and exercise are HUGE indicators of the muscle's flavor and texture. Want to experiment? Put a Holstein, Angus and, perhaps, a Charlais, in same the conditions and on the same feed. IF you can tell the difference, I'd be grately surprised.

Ciao,

From personal experience, I concure with Steve. Better flavor is the result of good feed, be it high quality grass, or good corn finishing. Add to this a reasonable amount of exersice to "beef-up" the beef, bbut not so much as to make the muscles tough and too lean. In addition, the extra blood flow to the muscles gives them more flavor.

I have heard the benefits of Black Angus ever since I lived in San Diego where they had Black Angus restaurants. The breed produces a very meaty animal. But so does a Charlais. And as for the Kobe, it is exclusivity that drives the price to such an exhorbitant sum. For the beef to be Kobe, it must come from the Kobe valley at the base of Mount Fuji in Japan.

American Wagyu beef is of the same breed, but has been grown in the U.S. and therefore cannot be called Kobe. It's like calling a sparkling wine Campaigne when it was actually produced in Nappa Valley. It is against the commonly accepted rules of etiquette, and indeed, is protected against by various organizations. I have not personally had the opportunity to eat Wagyu, but would love to one day.

I guess this whole thing is like trying to say that speckled trout taste better than do rainbow trout. I do know my trout. And I can testify that both species, when taken from the same stream, and of equal size, once cooked, are equal in flavor, texture, and even flesh color. But the quality of the one speckled trout versus another can vary dramatically depending on the waters from which it is caught, and by how it came into the world. Wild trout are far superior in quality to their planted brothers and sisters.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

jpmcgrew said:
:) Ketchup?Ketchup? I love ketchup but only for certain things.Oh my goodness what better way to ruin a good piece of prime beef.,steak etc.Ketchup is pretty good on a burger but is much better on french fries.
Did you know that the germans like to eat their fries with mayonaise ?
Mayo is great on fries! Really it is.

Sad...

Mr. P said:
Agreed! Anyone that adds ketchup OR cooks/orders well done a beautiful piece of beef should be shot on site!:chef:
I'd be eating with a dead wife:( She is a texture freak and likes her beef almost burned. She could be just as happy, if not more so, with a ground angus beef patty as with the rib-eye. She hates the texture of mushrooms and will actually become sick if confronted with liver. However......
I have learned to appreciate the charcoal grill from a friend with trial and error. Gas grilling is easier and is more of a consistant heat source, but the Webber grill has produced some of the finest char-broiled beef I've ever eaten. The Webbers' design, and the fact you can produce a very hot bed of coals, (and wood), at 500 +, allows me to cook an inch thick steak, with a hot pick center and, the most important, no blood in the plate. I care not about the scientific principles involved in the process, just the fact that I can predict the outcome of a steak using this method. It's heaven on earth when this happens.

Phil said:
I've grilled too many steaks not to be totally convinced that angus beef is superior. At least here in Texas. I simply couldn't be more pleased with the last four rib-eyes I've grilled, unless they were free. Every bite is, wow! They have more flavor and are far more tender than anything else I've bought. They are higher priced, but I don't care. On sale in the Dallas area, they are $7 a pound. And if you're new to grillin' steaks, buy your steaks at least an inch thick. If you marinade, you needn't do so longer than one hour. Get your grill 425, or upwards and sear, covered, each side one minute, then continue cooking. Turn with tongs, don't pierce the steak. A medium rare steak, at one inch thick, should take about 7-8 minutes. I can cook a steak with a red center with no blood on the plate. And the real secret? Let the steaks rest for five minutes before serving. Salt 'n pepper 'n eat. It doesn't get better for me. Happy grillin'
Phil

Yes, angus beef IS much more superior and it tastes better too and is much more tender as well.

Some supermarkets call it BLACK angus beef too.

Katie E said:
Not really. The only difference, genetically, is that brown eggs come from a different kind of chicken.

By differnet kind...You do mean breed I think.

Then, can I safely assume that meat that comes from a black steer taste no different than meat from a red one? Or a brown one? Or a white one?

Uncle Bob said:

Then, can I safely assume that meat that comes from a black steer taste no different than meat from a red one? Or a brown one? Or a white one?

Yes, you are correct. Chickens that are white and who have white lobes, produce white eggs. Brown chickens with brown lobes produce brown eggs.

Katie E said:
Yes, you are correct. Chickens that are white and who have white lobes, produce white eggs. Brown chickens with brown lobes produce brown eggs.

Chicken lobes? My question was pertaining to beef cattle.

Uncle Bob said:

Black Angus is a breed, not a color. The best IMO.

MJ said:
Black Angus is a breed, not a color. The best IMO.

So then you are saying that the Angus Breed is superior. In you opinion then what makes the Angus a superior breed to say..a Herford, or Herford Angus Cross, or Charolais, or Short horn etc.etc. etc.

Uncle Bob said:
So then you are saying that the Angus Breed is superior. In you opinion then what makes the Angus a superior breed to say..a Herford, or Herford Angus Cross, or Charolais, or Short horn etc.etc. etc.
I'm not sure Bob. It just tastes better to me. I think there is a Red Angus breed too. Angus cattle are beef cattle and not used for milk (but there is a mixed angus breed out there for milk if I remember right).

Angus Advantages

Phil said:
I'd be eating with a dead wife:( She is a texture freak and likes her beef almost burned. She could be just as happy, if not more so, with a ground angus beef patty as with the rib-eye. She hates the texture of mushrooms and will actually become sick if confronted with liver. However......
I have learned to appreciate the charcoal grill from a friend with trial and error. Gas grilling is easier and is more of a consistant heat source, but the Webber grill has produced some of the finest char-broiled beef I've ever eaten. The Webbers' design, and the fact you can produce a very hot bed of coals, (and wood), at 500 +, allows me to cook an inch thick steak, with a hot pick center and, the most important, no blood in the plate. I care not about the scientific principles involved in the process, just the fact that I can predict the outcome of a steak using this method. It's heaven on earth when this happens.
Yeah well, I can top that, Phil:)my wife won't TOUCH chicken, nor eat it (honest) and she uses the smoke alarm as a timer!...so there!:LOL:

*I am so glad I love to cook!*:chef:

Edit: I know just what you mean about the ground patty, and toatally agree.

Last edited:
MJ said:
I'm not sure Bob. It just tastes better to me. I think there is a Red Angus breed too. Angus cattle are beef cattle and not used for milk (but there is a mixed angus breed out there for milk if I remember right).

Angus Advantages

MJ...
You are correct there is a Red Angus, along with the Black Angus. A white faced herford as well as a black herford. There are also Angus cattle crossed with Brahman cattle producing Brangus! Along with probably 50 other beef cattle breeds in the U.S. alone. My only point is, and IMHO that all things being equal in blind side by side taste test I seriously doubt anyones ability to distinguish one breed from another. I do believe in, and understand the power of advertising and marketing strategies on all of us. Together they are a powerful influence.

Now go get yourself another beer!!:LOL:

I think we're getting a little bit off topic here, but organically-grown or free-range eggs are supposed to be better than regular eggs.

And I think that angus beef is raised better then beef from an ordinary cow.

We're kin?

Mr. P said:
Yeah well, I can top that, Phil:)my wife won't TOUCH chicken, nor eat it (honest) and she uses the smoke alarm as a timer!...so there!:LOL:

*I am so glad I love to cook!*:chef:

Edit: I know just what you mean about the ground patty, and toatally agree.

So I married your wifes sister and we're brothers in law?
And to add more conroversey to the equation, I also think thickness of the steak makes a difference in the texture and flavor.
Ever grill Spam :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Personally I grew up eating tough cuts from free range cattle and there's a reason chefs are starting to favor this stuff. Most american beef is grain fed, under exercised and aged... usually tasting like butter. While some crave that I love the flavor of actual beef, actual meat.

lugaru! welcome back!

(is it me, or does it seem like lugaru walked out in mid-sentence, disappear for a year or so, and come back in finishing the same sentence? :cool: )

i often order steaks in restaurants, because the meat i buy to make at home just isn't as good. especially with certain cuts like prime rib and tenderloin. i have no idea what type of meat is sold to the restaurants that i frequent; i'll have to ask if i get the chance.

i agree with prodigal :) lugaru, that i prefer more flavorful albeit tougher cuts of meat to make at home.

Back
Top Bottom