Angus beef is superior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr Tom....

Just some FYI. Make sure the beef you are buying in supermarkets is "Choice" grade beef. Many chain stores have moved down a notch to "Select" grade. A fancy sounding name that aludes to "Selected" just for you in advertising campaigns etc...What you order in the better restaurants is at least Choice or even Prime grade beef. With only 2 to 3 percent of cattle graded as Prime, most of it is going to the restaurant world especaillly the 'white table cloth" ones. Some goes to up scale butcher shops where it takes a Kings Ransom to buy it. Again seek out "Choice" grade cuts and you will surprise yourself at what you can do with them.

Enjoy.........

buckytom said:
lugaru! welcome back!

(is it me, or does it seem like lugaru walked out in mid-sentence, disappear for a year or so, and come back in finishing the same sentence? :cool: )

Thanks man. You know me, Im like a house cat. I disapear for a month, then show up again with a few scratches and a collar with a different name but otherwise the same.

Phil said:
because, on sale at $7.99 a lb., it's hard to beat. Last week we had a shoulder roast cooked as a pot roast and I told my wife that if we could have it this good everytime, I'd take this in place of turkey and dressing on Thanksgiving. That was the best roast I ever ate. I give my wife all the credit on that one. After my original post of "superior" beef, what I really meant to say is that the angus beef, in my neck of the woods, is superior to "supermarket" beef. From ground beef to rib-eyes, I really enjoy it. The real joy is I get to grill year round here in Texas.

I guess if you buy your beef at a supermarket you're stuck with Angus or pot luck. But when I buy it on the hoof, I can guarantee that my Hereford beef is better than your $7.99 supermarket Angus. And I pay around $2 a pound for all of it, from lean ground beef to the most succulent tenderloin you've ever tasted. We had a sirloin tip steak for dinner tonight (medium rare of course!) that was as tender and delicious as anything I've ever paid $50 for in a fine steak house.

I should think that in Texas you could find a source for real beef, instead of the commercially grown and processed supermarket product. :rolleyes:

You'd think?

RPCookin said:
I guess if you buy your beef at a supermarket you're stuck with Angus or pot luck. But when I buy it on the hoof, I can guarantee that my Hereford beef is better than your $7.99 supermarket Angus. And I pay around $2 a pound for all of it, from lean ground beef to the most succulent tenderloin you've ever tasted. We had a sirloin tip steak for dinner tonight (medium rare of course!) that was as tender and delicious as anything I've ever paid $50 for in a fine steak house.

I should think that in Texas you could find a source for real beef, instead of the commercially grown and processed supermarket product. :rolleyes:

I have thought about that before. I have a friend that raised Brahamas, but we only feed two at our house. I would have to buy a freezer and, of course, consider the utility cost. No way can you guesstimate the cost of that. Electricity goes up daily:mad: How many pounds of beef would that be, roughly?And, what if the beef is just average, or worse, well below average. You, then, are stuck with it, no?

I have also thought about buying a quarter of beef, but yeah, without a freezer or many to feed it just didn’t seem like the best way to go. The best solution I found was to buy a whole cryovac packed ribeye at the grocery, some $30-40. They will cut it to your thickness without charge. It was some of the best meat I ever had from a grocery. Honestly I think it was just luck.

Personally, I think the quest for ‘great’ meat is hit or miss even if you have a good eye for quality. Prime on the other hand might be a solution, but is not readily available to most and tends to be very expensive.

I’ve had grocery meat at <1/2 the price that was far better than from long time ‘quality’ butcher shops.

I guess the problem is packers that provide the grocery supply get their cattle from all over, so most of the time you really don’t know what you’re going to get. But, my research showed that these same packers supply most of the local butcher shops too. So, it seems in many cases your just paying more for the same, unless they age the beef when they recieve it.

I could be wrong, just my experience.

Mr. P said:
I have also thought about buying a quarter of beef, but yeah, without a freezer or many to feed it just didn’t seem like the best way to go. The best solution I found was to buy a whole cryovac packed ribeye at the grocery, some $30-40. They will cut it to your thickness without charge. It was some of the best meat I ever had from a grocery. Honestly I think it was just luck.

Personally, I think the quest for ‘great’ meat is hit or miss even if you have a good eye for quality. Prime on the other hand might be a solution, but is not readily available to most and tends to be very expensive.......

I agree with a lot of what you say. I have found a cryovac from time to time. We have an upscale market here in Dallas that sells any and everything. Their choice rib-eye is about $16-18 a lb. but their prime is about $40. I can't force myself to pay that. I just can't. We have several upscale steak houses that'll cost you $50-120 a meal. I'm a simple guy. A dollar is still a dollar to me. I doubt I'd pay that for my last meal. Hmmm, last meal. Chocolate cake and a keg of draft. :LOL:

Mr Phil

Those people that are charging $16.00 to $18.00 per pound for choice rib-eyes and $40.00 per lb for USDA prime...They are wearing a mask aren't they??? And also are armed with Colt 45's?? Laughing in their face would be the most polite thing I would do! :LOL:

Phil said:
...We have an upscale market here in Dallas that sells any and everything. Their choice rib-eye is about $16-18 a lb. but their prime is about $40...

What do you end up buying? Select grade? Those prices are outrageous. I buy choice grade meats from Costco regularly and have been quite pleased with it. A cryovac ribeye section is less than $10/Lb.

Andy M. said:
What do you end up buying? Select grade? Those prices are outrageous. I buy choice grade meats from Costco regularly and have been quite pleased with it. A cryovac ribeye section is less than $10/Lb.

Andy...

Thats more in the ball park...Here whole bonless rib-eyes can run 6.99 to 7.99 per lb. for USDA Choice beef as an advertised special. Indiviual packages (2 to 4 steaks) can run $1.00 to $2.00 more per lb. Non ad prices run higher of course. But not $18.00 Lb. That is "Highway Robbery"!
Where are the Texas Rangers???

Uncle Bob said:
Mr P...

Just curious....Where do you buy your beef. What's the name of the grocery etc.

Thanks...

Uncle Bob
I have no loyalty to any vender/grocery or shop. I buy what looks the best (only choice) at the time, if nothing looks good, marbling thickness etc, I don’t buy. But sometimes even what looks good, marbling etc isn’t good, regardless of where I buy.

I haven't tried Cosco meats yet, nor Sams club, I'm not a member of either. I hear some say they have great meat. Donno.

Uncle Bob said:
Mr Tom....

Just some FYI. Make sure the beef you are buying in supermarkets is "Choice" grade beef. Many chain stores have moved down a notch to "Select" grade. A fancy sounding name that aludes to "Selected" just for you in advertising campaigns etc...What you order in the better restaurants is at least Choice or even Prime grade beef. With only 2 to 3 percent of cattle graded as Prime, most of it is going to the restaurant world especaillly the 'white table cloth" ones. Some goes to up scale butcher shops where it takes a Kings Ransom to buy it. Again seek out "Choice" grade cuts and you will surprise yourself at what you can do with them.

Enjoy.........
Yup. Select is for dogs. I understand even choice has levels now days. Have you heard of that?

I was in the netherlands the last few weeks, and all I can say is the beef here is much better.

Mr. P said:
Yup. Select is for dogs. I understand even choice has levels now days. Have you heard of that?

USDA meat grades are based on national uniform standards of quality. These 'grades' are applied by trained, experienced USDA graders. These guys/gals are routinely checked by subervisors to make sure they are interpreting and applying the standards properly. A USDA whole Choice rib-eye must have met the same grading criteria/standards regardless of when or where you purchased it. There are 8 different, distinct grade levels. There are no "levels" of the USDA Choice grade for beef..

Andy...

Prime
Choice
Select
Standard
Commercial
Utility
Cutter
Canner.

"No Roll" is not a grade, but rather means beef that has not been graded.

Uncle Bob said:
USDA meat grades are based on national uniform standards of quality. These 'grades' are applied by trained, experienced USDA graders. These guys/gals are routinely checked by subervisors to make sure they are interpreting and applying the standards properly. A USDA whole Choice rib-eye must have met the same grading criteria/standards regardless of when or where you purchased it. There are 8 different, distinct grade levels. There are no "levels" of the USDA Choice grade for beef..
Technically true, however, there are ‘quality’ levels within each retail grade based on fat content. So, in my humble opinion there are ‘levels’ within a grade.

Percentage Intramuscular Fat
USDA Quality Grade
Degree of Marbling
11% and Above Prime+ Abundant 00-100
9.5% - 11% Prime° Moderately Abundant 00-100
8% - 9.5% Prime- Slightly Abundant 00-100

7% - 8% Choice+ Moderate 00-100
5% - 6% Choice° Modest 00-100
4% - 5% Choice- Small 00-100

3.5% - 4% Select+ Slight 50-100
3% - 3.5% Select- Slight 00-50
2.5% - 3% Standard+ Traces
2.5% and Below Standard- Practically Devoid

Mr. P said:
Technically true, however, there are ‘quality’ levels within each retail grade based on fat content. So, in my humble opinion there are ‘levels’ within a grade.

Percentage Intramuscular Fat
USDA Quality Grade
Degree of Marbling
11% and Above Prime+ Abundant 00-100
9.5% - 11% Prime° Moderately Abundant 00-100
8% - 9.5% Prime- Slightly Abundant 00-100

7% - 8% Choice+ Moderate 00-100
5% - 6% Choice° Modest 00-100
4% - 5% Choice- Small 00-100

3.5% - 4% Select+ Slight 50-100
3% - 3.5% Select- Slight 00-50
2.5% - 3% Standard+ Traces
2.5% and Below Standard- Practically Devoid

Very Technically true...However IMHO is of little or no use to the avg. consumer in this forum who is buyng meat for their table. These subtle differences are only visible to the most well trained, experienced eyes and equipment. Excellently prepared "choice" beef is excellent. Poorly prepared "Prime" is fair at best. For my money, I would prefer to discuss preparation methods and ideas rather than to discuss the intricate technicalities of the USDA beef grading System.

Do enjoy.....

Back
Top Bottom