Best veggies for grilling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I keep reading about the yummy vegis that you guys keep grilling. I have never grilled vegis. I would like to give it a try this summer. What are your favourite vegis to grill?

I keep reading about the yummy vegis that you guys keep grilling. I have never grilled vegis. I would like to give it a try this summer. What are your favourite vegis to grill?

Zucchini, protobello mushrooms, peppers, sweet onions, asparagus. These you can grill whole on the grate. You can also use a grill basket to grill a combination of cut up veggies.

Either way, toss with oil and season as you like then grill.

What Andy said. Potatoes are nice too. And while not a veggie, I just LOVE grilled pineapple. Corn on the cob too.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Yep, I'm doing another basket tonight with all the mentioned veggies cut up, except potatoes. I'll try them next time.

I like to use both olive oil and vinegar with spices for the marinade, but actually Wishbone Italian salad dressing right out of the bottle is good too.

We like to make veggie shishkabobs with everything mentioned up there. Yummm!

My grill basket is one of the best things I own. Here's dinner tonight with marinated veggies and Lil Smokies. Spanish rice on the side.

img_1372262_0_ffa5518a9286777513bc2cc3db9d70ff.jpg

Balsamic & rosemary marinated Cippolini onions, Asparagus with a little lemon and sea salt, sweet potato finished with a little sugar, cardamom and nutmeg, green tomatoes with vinegar and queso fresco, almost any mushroom (sans enoki, unless you have a grill basket), brussel sprouts with balsamic and bacon, zucchini/squash with olive oil and fresh herbs, my favorite is crazy corn: Grilled corn on the cob, smeared with a little mayo then rolled in queso fresco or even parm, grilled a little more and hit it with some hot sauce.

While I grill a lot of veggies, I find the best ones for grilling, where grilling enhances them, are the ones that caramelize. Things like bell peppers, onions (sliced and laid flat), corn if you can reach that point where some of the kernels are just starting to turn brown/black, definitely zucchini, which needs all the help/flavor it can get, lol... moist veggies that pick up grill marks I think are best. Other veggies like potatoes and portobellos come out just as well in the oven if I let them get dark enough. I grill them just because the grill is going.
I think the combination of a black grill mark and a moist veggie is bliss.

Carrots are nice, but you need a glaze (IMO) and they take a while, even sliced.

All sort of good ones. I like zucchini or yellow squash, halved or quartered the long way, then brush with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, or garlic salt and pepper, or salt and lemon pepper, or salt with dill weed, or.... well you get the idea. Be careful not to overcook, they go from perfect with a slight crunch to mushy very quickly, but they are great when cooked hot and fast.

Grilled bell peppers and fennel is a nice combination. Onions and mushrooms always grill nicely too. Another one is cabbage steaks. Slice a head of green cabbage into about 1" thick steaks, brush with oil and season, then grill on medium on both sides until just tender with a bit of light char.

Put veggies straight on the grill if the pieces are large enough. If not get a grill pan with holes in it to get the same grilled flavor with smaller pieces.

Last edited:
Eggplant would be wonderful, and something I've not tried. Thanks PF!
I love my grill baskets.
They would absorb the marinade like mushrooms do, and mushrooms are my favorite in a basket. Just ask Steve as he slaps my hand trying to sneak them out.

try laying the slices right on the grill for the grill marks and the char flavor. Wonderful! I cut it in rounds, slather in favorite oily dressing (have a pomegranate one I am loving right now) and grill till tender.

Oh gosh! I have mango vinegar...need to make Italian dressing out of that and do some grilling.

Asparagus! Even grilled lettuce. My daughter will take a head of lettuce, cut it in half and grill it. You can grill almost any veggie. If not right on the grill, then a basket for them. Grilled cukes. She peels then cuts them in half, scoops out the seeds, and grills them. Then places them in an EVOO and Italian red vinegar.

Almost all fruits can go on the grill also. You know how we say, "it is your kitchen, blah, blah blah." Well, it is your grill and your food. Make your own rules as to what you would like to grill. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom