Do you use your grill in the winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I should have stated I was interested in what people that live in the snowy part of the US do about grilling. I have posted a few grilling recipes and I was just wondering if I should wait till warmer weather to post any more.

You do make it sound really relaxing and enjoyable. ;)
Can Canadians join this conversation? Come on up and help me find my grill..

cookieee, as you know we only have two seasons in south Florida, Summer and Tourist.:ROFLMAO: I have several pieces of outdoor cooking equipment and use them year round. Some pieces I have attachments/add ons that make them more versatile. During Summer, we cook outside quite a bit to avoid using the stove top and oven.

Yes, and the wife stays inside in the nice AC kitchen making the sides. DH has gotten wise to that:LOL:

cookieee, as you know we only have two seasons in south Florida, Summer and Tourist.
According to the book, "New England Weather, New England Climate", by Zielinski and Keim, we have four seasons in New England: Ski Season, Mud Season, Beach and Lake Season, and Foliage Season.

How? :ermm:

My grill is under the pointy mound of snow on the right.

My patio table is under the mound on the left.

Attachments

• Backyard snow 20190220_165417.jpg
    Backyard snow 20190220_165417.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 163
Well, I'm not exactly a 'newbie' here at DC,
but I grill year round …

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

the two places that we've lived here on
the Mainland
the lower 48
the continental United States,
we've had inclement weather from
time to time

DSC00944.jpg

I really don't mind it at all :chef:
ya gotta eat and why not eat what you want
no matter the time of year

sometimes in the winter, i have a screened in porch attached to my house so most weather conditions don't bother me except low teens or lower.

I grill outdoors in all weather except high winds, drenching rain, or wet, blowing snow.

Besides a normal charcoal grill, I have a Cobb Cooker, an outdoor charcoal oven, that works a treat year-round.

s9E2lJD.jpg

It takes 12-14 briquets to roast a whole chicken. I usually spatchcock the bird as it cooks more quickly and evenly.

410rKYL.jpg

It is a bugger to clean, alas! But worth the extra effort.

When I was younger (throughout my 40's, and mid-wat into my 50's),I lived in Upper Peninsula Michigan. By the end of Jan.. we had about 4 foot of snow on the ground. I dug a path from my front door, about 3 foot wide, 20 foot or so into the front yard. for my 22 inch Webber Kettle, with about a 2 foot space all the way around it. I took all of the shoveled snow and piled it at least 6 foot high, by 2 foot deep, by 8 foot long to make a wind break on the West side of the circle, as a wind break. Then, it didn't matter what the weather was like. If it was 25', to sub-zero, if I felt like grilling, I'd be out there. Sometimes it'd be snowing so hard that the snowflakes would catch in my beard, and mustache, melt, and then freeze, When i went back ibto the house, I looked like the abominable snowman. :ohmy::ROFLMAO: I have pictures. Never let weather get in the way of a charcoal grilled chunk of meat.

o sad. Evidently, I lost a bunch of good pictures when I destroyed my last hard drive. Oh well, life goes on.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the orth

Attachments

• Bob Flowers 107.jpg
    Bob Flowers 107.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Bob Flowers 113.jpg
    Bob Flowers 113.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 50
We had about 4 foot of snow on the ground. I dug a path from my front door, about 3 foot wide, 20 foot or so into the front yard. for my 22 inch Weber Kettle, with about a 2 foot space all the way around it. I took all of the shoveled snow and piled it at least 6 foot high, by 2 foot deep, by 8 foot long to make a wind break on the West side of the circle, as a wind break. Then, it didn't matter what the weather was like. . . Never let weather get in the way of a charcoal grilled chunk of meat.

True grit!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom