Do you use your grill in the winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
OK this question is more for our friends in the North and areas where it gets VERY cold in the winter. Are you the type of person who needs to grill year round? Do you shovel a path to the grill in 4 feet of snow?

What about in the rain for those who live in nicer climates? Do you stand outside with an umbrella (or even without) and use your grill?

I am definitely one of those people. The is very little weather that will keep me from my grill. I just love using it so much.

I grill year round except if it gets below 0. And that all depends if there is a football game on. I always grill out for a football game.:cool:

Here is one of our rain solutions. We have a dozen or so tents, canopies, umbrella's we use.

umbrlacook.jpg

Depends on the wind chill factor! If I lose feeling in my fingers within a couple minutes it's a No Go! I've grilled in zero degree temps and no wind with no problem! Also, I have a covered porch so shoveling snow is usually not a factor.

count another grill addict! i grill all year long, so long as it's not torrential rain or snow at the time. i have dug out a path in the snow many times, so long as it has stopped. my weber kettle is under a big apple tree in the backyard, but if it's precipitatin' too much, it ends up being too difficult to keep lit and control the temp.

Being in So. Cal. there is no problem grilling the year around.

In rainey weather, I found that I can wheel my grill up to the patio door and it will be under the eve of the house. I stand in the house and grill away:cool: The odors that drifts in the house, with the smoke is a problem at times. Just whets the appitite:-p

Charlie

This year has not had much grilling going on, but we used to use it pretty much year round. It was always the hubby's job. I haven't a clue how to even turn the thing on! I need to learn. My girls love bbq'd chicken and ribs and veggies. Chicken is the favorite for the girls. :)

I live in a condo and we are asked to shovel off our decks after it snows so the moisture won't damage the wood structure of the deck.

Truth is, I've always been shoveling a path to the grill. We use it year-round. Even when, as GB can attest, we have the 3rd or 4th snowiest winter in our history!

The Barby's available 365 days a year. Haven't had to shovel snow yet, but neither rain, nor sleet nor snow would keep this fella from his barby duties. :)

This is one dear to my heart - I live in the UK and if we waited for reliably fine weather - we'd never cook at all - in fact I'm buying some salmon steaks this week - hopefully it will be dry enough to cook outside this weekend - if not, then I'll grill or bake them :chef:

Liz

http://find-a-seafood-recipe.com

We didn't use our grill at all this winter, but it had more to do with the grill being packed WAY into the back of the garage then it had to do with the weather...

We did fire up the smoker once or twice, though.

John

GB said:
OK this question is more for our friends in the North and areas where it gets VERY cold in the winter. Are you the type of person who needs to grill year round? Do you shovel a path to the grill in 4 feet of snow?

What about in the rain for those who live in nicer climates? Do you stand outside with an umbrella (or even without) and use your grill?

I am definitely one of those people. The is very little weather that will keep me from my grill. I just love using it so much.

Absolutely! :rolleyes:
I can't envision cooking a steak in a fry pan.. well on my boat I've cooked them in a cast iron grill pan... but that's called "any port in a storm".. However, I have a nifty little charcoal grill unit that mounts on a rail of my boat... so unless I'm taking water over the side or drenched in rain, I'll fire that up.

It's the only way to fly! Jude 2:5

I was using my smoker/grill to make my drunken smoked ham one winter day. It was on the cement floored front porch because of the weather and partially blocked from the street by a brick planter box.

Apparently somebody saw smoke, and the next thing I knew firetrucks were all over the place!!!!!!!

choclatechef said:
... and the next thing I knew firetrucks were all over the place!!!!!!!

Yeah.. that happened to me once. I use that Weber chimney thing to start my charcoal... where you stuff newspapers in the bottom (charcoal in the top) and light the newspaper...

That puts out a LOT of smoke when it first starts.. all that newspaper burning.. So once my neighbors figured out that's what I was doing, they stopped calling the fire department on me :rolleyes:

we keep our grill in the garage (cause one year bees built a hive in it) but anyway... we grill in the rain sure... but in the winter no way. you can't pay me enough to go ut there and shovel a path to the garage lol

We have a carport and a garage. Can't get in the garage for the corvette. Sometimes we move under the carport.

Also have a variety of umbrellas, tents, etc. Here is one we did when we were expecting a little rain.
umbrlacook.jpg

Back
Top Bottom