Fried/Grilled and smoked Tempura Nori

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Fish

Senior Cook
Yes it does sound strange, but it's oh so good! And i know it isn't fully grilled, but i couldn't find the "Hybrid foods" section.:mrgreen:

Start by getting 2-3 sheets of nori and cut into strips about 1" wide by 3" long.

I make a tamari dipping sauce with:
1 cup shiitake soup stock
1/4 cup tamari
1 tbsp finely grated onion
Combine ingredients, bring to boil and let cool.

I have a pan of light sesame oil heating to 350F on the stove now as well.

Then make a tempura batter
(which there are different ways to make and i will list the one i use for this dish, with the alternates later)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
*APROX*1 to 1 1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. sea salt
Mix all dry ingredients. Then GRADUALLY add water but not to slow because you DO NOT want a thorough mix! And if you let the batter sit too long, it will become too thick!

Turn grill on low with a piece of hickory. (i have placed a ribbed cast iron griddle on my grill as well)

Dip nori strips in tempura batter, and one by one put into oil waiting for a golden brown color on both sides and remove onto a towelled plate.

By this time the grill should be smoking and ready so throw the stripes on and arrange. Close lid and let sit for about 5 minutes, or untill dry to touch, remove and serve.

This may seem like a lot for such a little thing, but the final payoff is really in taste!

******Alternate tempura batters******
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup corn flour
1-1 1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. sea salt

and

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tbsp. arrowroot
1-1 1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Peace

Back