Grilled Beets!! Tried 'em tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PHILSFAULT

Assistant Cook
I'm always trying to add new veggies and color to our dinners. With a picky wife this isn't always easy.

Anyways, I had some raw beets in the fridge that I was going to roast and peel for salads, but I got this bug up my ( backside ) and decided to peel and cut 'em in half.

I drizzled some olive oil and tossed 'em on the grill. My wife even liked 'em this way.

It's nice to have another method of cooking beets.

The cool thing is that they are pretty hard to overcook. I burnt a couple, but once you slice 'em you don't even notice. Plus you still get that crunch inside.

Beets

They sound delicious.
I sometimes bake them, in their skins or boil them, in their skins. Then i peel them, and put a sour cream or yoghurt dressing on them.
I am lucky to have a partner who will eat anything. It is great, because i like to experiment, with my cooking.
That is a cute baby, in your photo. Mine is now almost 6 years old. Your picture reminds me, of how she used to be.

Mel

I am on a bit of a crusade about "roasted beets" and have converted others on other boards to this way. First I'll say, I love the idea of grilling them and will do this almost immediately.
However, my "crusade" has to do with roasting. If you roast beets in the oven IN their peels and then peel them, you might as well have just boiled them. The "roasting" is only cooking the interior--really just steaming using the water in the beet. The caramelization of the surface sugars that gives roasted veggies their "good" just doesn't happen if the skin is on.
I peel and then roast--they are absolutely sublime. The skins get a bit of char and the beets are so concentrated in flavor.
As to "bleeding"--I find they bleed even less than when they are cooked and then peeled.
Try it--I honestly think you will like it.
And it is the way I shall grill mine. Thanks for the idea.
I have a salad that we had in Paris that absolutely lives in my memory--small diced roast beets on a bed of green green mached and drizzled with a walnut vinaigrette. Majorly good.

So, from someone who's always cooked beets first & peeled later, how do you peel them without turning everything (including yourself) Pepto Bismol pink?

PHILSFAULT said:
I'm always trying to add new veggies and color to our dinners. With a picky wife this isn't always easy.

Anyways, I had some raw beets in the fridge that I was going to roast and peel for salads, but I got this bug up my ( backside ) and decided to peel and cut 'em in half.

I drizzled some olive oil and tossed 'em on the grill. My wife even liked 'em this way.

It's nice to have another method of cooking beets.

The cool thing is that they are pretty hard to overcook. I burnt a couple, but once you slice 'em you don't even notice. Plus you still get that crunch inside.

At least your wife likes something.
My girlfriend hates all vegetables, and all fruits besides berries.
Along with other things, this makes her very very picky.

Those sound good.
I've had pickled beats which I liked.
Sounds like something I'd like to try if I could get my dad to let go of the pickled beats.

BreezyCooking said:
So, from someone who's always cooked beets first & peeled later, how do you peel them without turning everything (including yourself) Pepto Bismol pink?

That was sort of my point. They bleed much less in my experience than when peeling after cooking.
I roast them whole, turned in some olive oil.

For some reason, I never see fresh beets in the grocery stores around here. Perhaps I can get my son-in-law to plant some next year. I'd love to try them roasted.

Constance - they're really easy to grow. In fact, you can even grow them in containers. I love home-grown beets, as I can try so many different varieties/colors. Plus, my cockatoo just adores the greens!!

In ours they are usually up with the "specialty" vegetables for some reason. Containers!! Now that is an interesting idea. Will toss that one to DH! Thanks.

BreezyCooking said:
Constance - they're really easy to grow. In fact, you can even grow them in containers. I love home-grown beets, as I can try so many different varieties/colors. Plus, my cockatoo just adores the greens!!

Breezy, do you ever eat the greens?

The greens are delicious as well. It takes a lot of beets to make a "mess" however.

Phil I have never tried Grilled Beets before but after looking at your post I have decided to try it.

Thanks and have a very happy day.

I solemnly declare I am a Gretchen Roasted Peeled Beet Convert. Not to mention, a Fanatic.:chef:

I finally got round to roasting some beetroot last week, following Gretchen's suggestion. All I can say is:

" If you don't try this, you're missing out on a HUGE treat"!

Wow!

I'm so glad everyone got something out of this thread. It's a really nice welcome to this forum.

I normally roast beets with the skin on and wrapped in foil .. I will deffinately try the skin 'em first method.

Last edited:
BreezyCooking said:

I adore the greens. Does the cockatoo leave any?

Hey, Cliveb. Cool. So glad you liked them. It is an entirely different dish, I think. Thanks for posting.

I love beets every way I have had them. I am going to try Gretchens way next. I also eat beet greens. They make a great salad.

Thanks guys. I love beets and am on a roasted vegetable kick. Can't seem to get enough of them! I never thought about roasting beets with the rest of the veggies. I'm off to the store for beets!

silentmeow said:
Thanks guys. I love beets and am on a roasted vegetable kick. Can't seem to get enough of them! I never thought about roasting beets with the rest of the veggies. I'm off to the store for beets!

You might want to separate the beets from other veggies in a mixed roast. What was really pretty last Christmas was roasted beets with roasted carrot chunks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom