Help on cooking thick pork chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought a couple of rather thick pork chops at the supermarket.
I usually by the thin ones.

With the thick ones, I used shake n bake and oven cooked them.

They were (like the OP posted) awfull tasting. Very gamey.

I'm staying with the thinner sliced pork chops, they taste delicious every time. I think there's something about the thicker chops that make them
taste kinda bad, not sure. I noticed they were a lot more red in color (uncooked).

I bought a couple of rather thick pork chops at the supermarket.
I usually by the thin ones.

With the thick ones, I used shake n bake and oven cooked them.

They were (like the OP posted) awfull tasting. Very gamey.

I'm staying with the thinner sliced pork chops, they taste delicious every time. I think there's something about the thicker chops that make them
taste kinda bad, not sure. I noticed they were a lot more red in color (uncooked).

The red color in cooked pork does not necessarily indicate that it's undercooked. I have a thermometer probe that came with my new oven; I put the probe into the meat and plug the other end into a socket inside the oven. Then I set the oven to beep when the meat reaches the desired temp. I made a pork roast this way, and, while it was still a bit red inside, it was perfectly cooked. Pork isn't like it used to be :)

I would stuff chops that thick. Cornbread stuffing, or bread stuffing with apples, raisins and walnuts.

I have some pork chops that are 1-1/2 - 2" thick - I grilled them and they did not taste very good. I put them in a bad with a little evoo and some spices for about an hour. I seared them 4 minutes a side then lowered the heat to medium-low-medium (chops being on the "low" section) and cooked them for 6 minutes a side - temp was about 165 inside when I took them off- they seemed flavorless and dry to me - any suggestions - I have eight more chops in the freezer. They look beautiful but taste ehhhh. I appreciate your help, thanks!

Whoa... 165... no wonder they were dry. Pork is done at 145F. If you want it a little more well done, pull it off at 150 and let them set for a bit. They will still be moist but not dried out. When I cook for groups, they don't want ANY pink pork so I go to the 150 mark.. hasn't failed me yet.

An hour with pork isn't very long for the marinade to work. Pork is pretty dense. It takes a while to get the flavor into the meat. I would have used water instead of oil for the marinade.. or better yet perhaps a little wine with water or possibly beer. It should have set for at least 4 hours in the marinade.

I don't brine or marinade my pork. I heavily season the outside and cook them that way. You get that great flavored crusty outside and the juicy flavor inside.

I like to brine the chops overnight. Brown real butter over med-high heat. If it reduces too much, erm, add more butter haha! (I like to have drippings with brown bits to spoon on chops before baking) Then liberally sprinkle garlic, onion powder, and chili powder INTO the butter in the pan until "toasted". Still on med-high heat, sear chops until a nice brown crust forms, maybe 5 minutes per side, then throw in the oven at 350 15-20 minutes, or until juices run clear- not too much poking though!!! :chef: I let them rest for 5 minutes or so before serving too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom