How to make steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, make sure your guests are comfortable in your back yard, especially while dining. Your back yard / patio ambiance is just as important as the food you prepare.

I've got a deck and recently got a patio set...just one major issue: I think there's a beehive nearby because there are way too many bees.

I'm now googling methods to keep them away.
Ugh, what a pain.

- MJ

I've got a deck and recently got a patio set...just one major issue: I think there's a beehive nearby because there are way too many bees.

Ugh, what a pain.

- MJ

First you have to find the hive. It may be above or underground. If there is a risk of allergic reactions, you may want to consider an exterminator.

mj88 said:

Ugh, what a pain.

- MJ

Are they bees, or are they hornets? Bees shouldn't "bee" a problem, and if they're honeybees, please don't kill them. Keep flowers away from immediate eating and seating areas. Unless they're Africanized, they won't hurt you unless you step or sit on them. A beekeeper could help relocate the hive.

Hornets, on the other hand, are nasty beasties, very territorial, and with wicked stings. If you need to spray the hornets, locate the nest and spray in the evening after they've gone to bed and are dormant. There are good products that can hit them from a distance. Hornets can sting repeatedly, honeybees die once they sting. Hornets can also have above and below ground nests.

Last edited:
roadfix said:
Grill often. Bees don't like smoke.

Actually, smoke relaxes them! It's what beekeepers use to calm the hive while doing maintenance and removing honeycombs.

Still would work! Especially for the carnivorous steak-loving bees. :LOL:

Last edited:
Actually, smoke relaxes them! It's what beekeepers use to calm the hive while doing maintenance and removing honeycombs.

Still would work! Especially for the carnivorous steak-loving bees.

That's interesting to know.

I didn't realize there was an active beehive under the patio cover when I moved my smoker there. After using my smoker once the bees vacated and never returned.

roadfix said:
That's interesting to know.

I didn't realize there was an active beehive under the patio cover when I moved my smoker there. After using my smoker once the bees vacated and never returned.

They prefer marinated to rubbed...

Attachments

• death dust.jpg
    death dust.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Still would work! Especially for the carnivorous steak-loving bees. :LOL:

Not to promote thread drift but...

We were eating steamed crabs out back one day and this yellow jacket kept coming down and stealing bits of crab. Back and forth several times. Then it made the mistake of trying to steal bits of MY crab. Whacked it with me crab hammer.

Not to continue thread drift but...

Abnormal quantities of bees buzzing around could be indicative of a nearby (possibly new) beehive, and Africanized bees have been invading the more temperate (southern, southwestern, southeastern) parts of the US for a decade or two. If indeed they are Africanized a patio party could set them off, burned steaks or no.

I don't know where the OP is located but if in an area where these types of bees are a possibility the hazard should be addressed immediately. Do-it-yourself should only be attempted if it's certain they are not Africanized.

Hornets/yellowjackets. Trust me. People mistake them for bees all the time.

And yellowjackets do like meat, especially in the fall. And apparently seafood too!

Hokay, back on topic.

Last edited:
Hornets/yellowjackets. Trust me. People mistake them for bees all the time.

And yellowjackets do like meat, especially in the fall. And apparently seafood too!

Hokay, back on topic.
Not me. I had an incident. I got stung maybe 12-15 times. I puffed up. I am very aware of them now. Stirling sprayed them from ~15 feet away. This year I got a coupon from an exterminator to get rid of them for $10. I'm hanging on to that coupon and hoping we won't need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to promote thread drift but...

We were eating steamed crabs out back one day and this yellow jacket kept coming down and stealing bits of crab. Back and forth several times. Then it made the mistake of trying to steal bits of MY crab. Whacked it with me crab hammer.

Crabby when someone tries to take your food?

Not to continue thread drift but...

Abnormal quantities of bees buzzing around could be indicative of a nearby (possibly new) beehive, and Africanized bees have been invading the more temperate (southern, southwestern, southeastern) parts of the US for a decade or two. If indeed they are Africanized a patio party could set them off, burned steaks or no.

I don't know where the OP is located but if in an area where these types of bees are a possibility the hazard should be addressed immediately. Do-it-yourself should only be attempted if it's certain they are not Africanized.

I'm located in Toronto, Ontario (Canada).
And now that I've educated myself on what the different types of bees are -- these are definitely yellow jackets.
This is going to make things extremely interesting as on a typical afternoon there are easily 4 or 5 of them hanging out on the deck.
If I'm unable to address this issue by the dinner day then I unfortunately will have to grill the steaks alone outside (risking my life -- I might be a tad bit dramatic here) and then serve the dinner indoors; which would obviously be disappointing.

- MJ

I'm located in Toronto, Ontario (Canada).
And now that I've educated myself on what the different types of bees are -- these are definitely yellow jackets.
This is going to make things extremely interesting as on a typical afternoon there are easily 4 or 5 of them hanging out on the deck.
If I'm unable to address this issue by the dinner day then I unfortunately will have to grill the steaks alone outside (risking my life -- I might be a tad bit dramatic here) and then serve the dinner indoors; which would obviously be disappointing.

- MJ

How to Make a Wasp Trap with Step-by-Step Pictures - wikiHow

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom