How to make steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm located in Toronto, Ontario (Canada).
And now that I've educated myself on what the different types of bees are -- these are definitely yellow jackets.
This is going to make things extremely interesting as on a typical afternoon there are easily 4 or 5 of them hanging out on the deck.
If I'm unable to address this issue by the dinner day then I unfortunately will have to grill the steaks alone outside (risking my life -- I might be a tad bit dramatic here) and then serve the dinner indoors; which would obviously be disappointing.

- MJ
Check how much it would cost to get an exterminator. Be really careful when you look for the nest.

mj88 said:
And now that I've educated myself on what the different types of bees are -- these are definitely yellow jackets.
This is going to make things extremely interesting as on a typical afternoon there are easily 4 or 5 of them hanging out on the deck.
If I'm unable to address this issue by the dinner day then I unfortunately will have to grill the steaks alone outside (risking my life -- I might be a tad bit dramatic here) and then serve the dinner indoors; which would obviously be disappointing.

- MJ

Yes! The honeybees are vindicated!

Find the hornet nest, squirt it at dusk, you should be fine. Or grill and eat at dusk, by then they should be dormant.

Take out a flyswatter, only if you have a good aim. 4 or 5 are smackable. Just don't miss, they get really annoyed, and the rest of the family might attack.

There's probably a nest, either under or around your deck. Follow it if you can when the hornets are entering.

Yellowjackets/hornets are different from wasps, which are usually pretty docile and often solitary. Wasps don't attack unless provoked, yellowjackets/hornets don't care.

Last edited:

AFAIK Toronto is still pretty protected from Africanized bees. It seem the farther north they go they cross-breed with more hardy cold weather bees who are also less aggressive.

Hornets and yellow jackets seem to be carnivores AFAIK. They are more interested in your steaks than you. The Afro-bees are interested in protecting their hives. I think you'll fare better against the meat eaters than against the hive protectors.

Its a 1" thick rib eye grilled for two mins on either side then rested and sliced for the sarnie.:)
Hi Bolas, I seldom manage to get nice-flavoured rib-eye. It never seems to be in the premium section of the meat counter/butcher yet common-sense tells us that if they sell premium rump, sirloin and fillet then there must be premium carcasses and premium less-prime cuts. Where do you get yours from?

Hi Bolas, I seldom manage to get nice-flavoured rib-eye. It never seems to be in the premium section of the meat counter/butcher yet common-sense tells us that if they sell premium rump, sirloin and fillet then there must be premium carcasses and premium less-prime cuts. Where do you get yours from?
hi lemain,nice to see you again.small world 'innit?! checked on "the dark side",looks like it's degenerated into a knitting circle since........
anyway,back to steaks.not sure where my big brother gets his but,in my local tesco they have a finest section on the butchery.rump,sirloin,fillet and joy of joys T bone!.all can be cut to size & usually have a choice of welsh,scotch & english beef.all nice and dark so looks like its been well aged & no more expensive than the prepack finest equivalent.
got a ribeye there last week,really was good
harry

Hi Harry, Small world :) Good to see you. Yes, clickety-click....I reckon a forum needs a minimum of one hundred new posts per day on average to remain in business. And that's for a small forum with only a few sections max. If people drop in and there is nothing new, or their posts remain unanswered they lose interest and drift away, usually for ever. If you can keep the fresh posts and threads rising to well above one hundred then organic growth can happen.

My nearest Tescos is an uneconomical drive away, so I only call in rarely...though might be going in that direction later so will keep my eyes open.

Hi Harry, Small world :) Good to see you. Yes, clickety-click....I reckon a forum needs a minimum of one hundred new posts per day on average to remain in business. And that's for a small forum with only a few sections max. If people drop in and there is nothing new, or their posts remain unanswered they lose interest and drift away, usually for ever. If you can keep the fresh posts and threads rising to well above one hundred then organic growth can happen.

My nearest Tescos is an uneconomical drive away, so I only call in rarely...though might be going in that direction later so will keep my eyes open.
may be worth calling them first.the two tesco's i have nearby are both the size of a small continent & it may only be the bigger ones that carry the range.
new posts?,last one i saw on "the dark side" was pin ups,they were all bangin' on about james dean,david essex,christopher bl**dy lee & michael landon from bonanza:wacko::LOL:!! can't bring myself to look again....tena's at the ready ladies..................

A Tescos the size of a continent? I reckon ours is a bit smaller. Incontinent? But crikey, Harry, that's sad news from the DS. Not Tenas? Poor folk. My granddad had a pipe. I'll try to pop over and offer my sympathies if my VPN permits.

A Tescos the size of a continent? I reckon ours is a bit smaller. Incontinent? But crikey, Harry, that's sad news from the DS. Not Tenas? Poor folk. My granddad had a pipe. I'll try to pop over and offer my sympathies if my VPN permits.
hmmmmm,worth a go but watch out for the guards & wire,oh yeah & christopher bl**dy lee..............

Once you put the meat on the grill, shut the lid and leave it alone! Opening and closing the lid multiple times will hurt the cooking process.

Quick question,
Should I be washing the meat before seasoning it or no?
I see some blood on the meat...should I just pat it dry and let the grill take care of it OR should I wash it?

- MJ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom