Is it hard to replace a starter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
We bought a new gas grill last spring--it's nothing fancy at all, but it serves its purpose. When DH pulled it onto the porch and cleaned it up this weekend, we couldn't get it to start. You can smell the propane, and hear it, so we're pretty sure it's coming through the line and up to the cooking element. We just can't get it lit.

We looked on the manufacturer website and it seems that we could buy a new starter/ignitor kit. Has anyone done this before? Does it sound to you that this is our problem?

I'm itching to grill and want to find a way to get it fixed!:chef:

I have never used a gas grill!

That is another piece of equipment I don't have Mud!

You've got me with two on one day.

hi mommy, :)

it is very easy to replace an ignitor in a gass grill. but before you do that, try to look at the ignitor in the dark (with the gas having not been turned on for a good while, and the supply line removed from the tank.:idea: ) to see if it is producing a little spark. if it is sparking, the problem is usually a bad gas/air mix, often due to spider webs and other clogs in the venturi tubes (the gas "spigots" that go to the burners), or if one of the tubes has shifted. if there's no spark, then you can remove and either clean or replace the ignitor. the are usually held in by some kind of retaing clip or nut, sometimes within another removeable assembly. the ignitor will look like a small whitish tube with a wire coming out one end, and a small metal tip on the other end, where the spark jumps from. using a small file, contact burnish, or sand paper, clean the small tip and re-install to check for a spark. if it's dead, buy the replacement kit. try to get one specifically for your grill. the "universal" kits don't always fit that well. hope this helps...

btw, i gotta agree with the 'bug and choc. buy a kettle grill and a bag of lump hardwood charcoal (not briquettes). the difference in flavor is really worth the bit of extra effort (and you get to play with fire).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom