Jamaican Jerk Burgers with Orange-Chipotle Mayonnaise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
I had thought that I got this recipe from this site but found I was wrong, so am posting it here in case anyone wants to try it out. I found the recipe at Bon Appétit site. I course ground chicken instead of beef and everybody raved about it. Surprisingly even though chicken was sloppy when going on the grill, as long as you waited long enough for it to cook on one side, they stayed together beautifully. I made half with habañero chilies and half without any chilies for us wimps. If you make the Orange-Chipotle Mayo, I really think it needs some work. Only 2 out of 7 people liked it and most didn't use it. I honestly don't know how to fix it up to make it better, so won't make next time. I also didn't have any allspice to add to the jerk sauce but nobody missed it either. :) I also added a pat of I Can't Believe Its Not Butter in center of each chicken patty to help keep it moist.

JAMAICAN JERK BURGERS WITH ORANGE-CHIPOTLE MAYONNAISE

ingredients_hed.gif

Orange-chipotle mayonnaise
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chilies*

Jerk sauce
1 bunch green onions, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 small habañero chili or 2 medium jalapeño chilies, seeded, chopped (I used 1 1/2 habanero)
1 garlic clove, peeled (I used 4 cloves)
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon ground allspice

2 pounds ground beef (15% fat) 6 sesame-seed hamburger buns, toasted (I used chicken)
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 tomatoes, sliced
6 romaine lettuce leaves

preperation_hed.gif

For orange-chipotle mayonnaise:
Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

For jerk sauce:
Finely chop first 4 ingredients in processor. Add sugar and next 3 ingredients; process until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Set aside 3/4 cup jerk sauce. Shape ground beef into six 1/2- to 3/4-inch-thick patties; place in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Pour 1/2 cup jerk sauce over patties and turn to coat; let stand 20 minutes.

Sprinkle patties with salt and pepper. Grill to desired doneness, brushing occasionally with remaining jerk sauce, about 4 minutes per side for medium.

Spread mayonnaise over cut surfaces of buns. Place burgers on bottom halves of buns. Top with onion slices, tomato slices, lettuce, and bun tops. Serve, passing reserved 3/4 cup jerk sauce separately.

* Chipotle chilies canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are available at Latin American markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets.

Makes 6 servings.
Bon Appétit

September 2002

Last edited:
That really sounds yummy!!!
So, icy, you ground your own, or you had your butcher do it?
(I need a meat grinder!)

I ground my own, I like to know exactly what is going into it AND I KNOW that the grinder is totally clean of any old chicken or other icky stuff. :)

If you try the recipe, you need to have it course ground and not fine ground as the burger won't hold together if it is fine ground. Or at least that is what I read.

They aren't expensive any more and you can get nice ones for under $100.00. I purchased one that is a heavy duty grinder and it was only $89.00. A few years ago, you couldn't even get a junky one for that price.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom