Lava rocks + charcoal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyMcDougal

Assistant Cook
Is it OK to use lava rocks together with charcoal in a charcoal grill, for heat distribution? Or should this be avoided?

Lava rocks are meant to be used with gas grills so you can have the same heat distribution as you would with charcoal. No need for both.

if you need heat retention, use fire bricks to line the kettle with. i know its not distributing the heat but it helps retain it. Wish there was a way to mold some ceramic around a weber kettle to make it a BGE type

if you need heat retention, use fire bricks to line the kettle with. i know its not distributing the heat but it helps retain it. Wish there was a way to mold some ceramic around a weber kettle to make it a BGE type
Not sure if it's food safe, but there is a Concrete Cloth. There might be other ways to retain the heat: mebby spackle some crete on the sides of the webber; ceramic brickettes & use hardware cloth to hold them in place.

I looked into it abit more, the Concrete Cloth has a PVC backing, so no go for cookery/grill/bbq. I think it would be easiest to use 1/4" hardware cloth & quickcrete or concrete patch. Form fit the HW cloth for a tight fit, and apply the crete to the cloth.

Hmm, to bad i cant use the kettle to cast a mold. haha

thanx for the above info. That cloth is pretty cool stuff

Back
Top Bottom