Looking for good marinades for shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdmc

Assistant Cook
We will be having a bbq soon and I would like to cook steak and shrimp. I need a good marinade for the shrimp. Please share your favorite ones.:cool: Thanks

Thanks. I am pretty new here and not always sure where I should post. Can someone direct me there?

Last edited:
mdmc, let me know if you're interested in grilled shrimp on sugar cane. If so, I'll post the recipe. You'll need to steam the skewers first and then finish them off on your grill.

These are called barbecued, but they're not! :-p

What they are is absolutely delicious!!!

Louisiana BBQ Shrimp

1 – 1 1/2 lbs. large shrimp
1 stick butter, melted
3 tablespoons Worcestershire
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon olive oil

DEHEAD shrimp if necessary, but don't peel. Place in a shallow dish (I use a pie pan). Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over shrimp. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 2-3 hours.

BAKE in preheated 350 degree oven uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Serve with French bread to sop up all the wonderful juice.

98034295.jpg

htc thanks that would be great

Han Art Looks wonderful. I'll give it a try!

We don't actually marinate our shrimp, we just skewer them and brush them with garlic butter while they grill. Mmmmmmmmmm!!

Alix said:
We don't actually marinate our shrimp, we just skewer them and brush them with garlic butter while they grill. Mmmmmmmmmm!!

That's what I was going to suggest. Garlic salt, and brush with butter, maybe a little fresh ground white pepper (I have two pepper mills).

IMHO there is no sense messing with something that is darned near Nirvana. Garlic, pepper and salt are all you need. Mmmmmmm!

I like to marinate p&d'd green shrimp in a lime/tequila viniagrette and grill them on skewers. Serve with a little melted butter, if desired.

this is one of my favorites for shrimp. i've never made it on the grill, but i'll bet it would work well that way too, just as a marinade. when it is made on the stove, make sure to serve it with bread so you can sop up all of the good garlic oil.

spanish garlic shrimp

ingredients_hed.gif

3/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup coarsely chopped white onion
5 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
16 uncooked jumbo shrimp, shells intact, deveined (about 1 pound)

preperation_hed.gif

Puree 1/2 cup oil, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in blender until almost smooth. Place shrimp in small bowl. Stir in oil mixture. Let shrimp marinate at least 1 hour. Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add shrimp with marinade and sauté just until shrimp are opaque in center, about 4 minutes. Divide shrimp and marinade from skillet among 4 plates and serve.

Makes 4 servings.

here's another one, from my "stuff that looks good" pile. my mint is exploding in the garden, so i'll probably be making this one soon.

grilled sweet and spicy shrimp with mint sauce

ingredients_hed.gif

1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pounds large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined

2 cups (packed) fresh mint leaves Metal skewers

preperation_hed.gif

Mix brown sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons oil, lemon peel, cayenne pepper, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Add shrimp and stir to coat. Let marinate 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.

Meanwhile, place mint, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, and remaining 1/2 cup oil in processor. Blend until mint is finely chopped and mixture is smooth, scraping down sides occasionally. Season mint dipping sauce with salt. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Thread shrimp onto skewers. Grill shrimp until just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Serve with mint dipping sauce.

Makes 12 first-course or 6 main-course servings

try this for the ultimate in grilled shrimp

3 tbls paprika
6 tbls dark brown sugar
2 tbls garlic powder
2 tbls onion powder
1 tbls thyme
1 tbls basil
1 tbs white pepper
1 tbls black pepper
1 tsp marjoram
Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Mix 1/4 cup of evoo, 1/4 cup white wine and 1/4 cup rub mix and combine then add shrimp and mix well. Let sit for 10 minutes before grilling on a hot grill. I do this at he café on a smoking hot cast iron ridged grill, but there I have a very good vent - it tends to get smoky.

Grilled Shrimp on Sugarcane

Ingredients:
1 (2oz) piece of pork fat or 1 egg white
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 c. chopped yellow onion (excess water drained)
3 shallots, minced
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, pat dry
2 scallions, chopped
1 (20oz) can 4 inch long sugarcane, drained

1. If using port fat, bring a small pan of water to a boil. add pork fat and cook until edges turn translucent, 2-3 minutes. remove pan from heat and drain pork on papertowel. Coarsely chop fat and set aside. if using egg whites, start with step 2.

2. heat oil in small pan over moderate heat. add onion and shallots. saute until slightly wilted, about one minute. transfer onion mixture (not juice) to a bowl and add fish sauce, sugar, garlic, white pepper, cornstarch, baking powder and pork fat (or egg white). add shrimp and toss well.

3. transfer shrimp mixture to food processor and process until almost smooth, but still lumpy. Transfer paste to bowl, scraping bowl clean. stir in scallions

4. quarter sugarcane pieces lengthwise or halve them if they're small. wet your hands with cold water. place 2 tablespoons of shrimp paste in the middle of your palm. place piece of sugarcane on top and mold paste around it. (paste should be about 1/4 in. thick and about 2 1/2 inches long). gently press paste against stick so edges are sealed. set shrimp stick aside on oiled plate. repeat w/ remaining sugarcane and paste.
5. oil a steamer basket and place sugarcane sticks in a single layer. you may have to steam several batches. steam shrimp 2-3 min. until it turns pink. finish off by grilling or broiling the shrimp sticks until paste is hot on inside.

==========
From Mai Pham's Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table

I made hanart's shrimp last evening. We liked it a lot. I'm going to try some of the others posted here, also. Can't get sugarcane around here, though. (sigh)

lyndalou, try some local ethnic markets near you, especially a Cuban place. I've found sugarcane in the produce section of a local supermarket up here in MI. You're done in sugarcane country, so it shouldn't be that hard to find.

Talking about sugarcane brings back good memories from the time I lived in Plaquemine Parish, La. When they cut the sugarcane, they'd haul it in "cane trucks" which had big wide basket-type beds that were heaped to over-flowing. If you got behind one of them, it was impossible to see to pass on those narrow winding roads.
The little kids would suck on stalks of sugar-cane, and I tried it myself one day. It is incredibally sweet!

believe it or not, you can also find cane in bird/pet stores. parrots love 'em. they'll be much more expensive than a hispanic/caribbean market, tho.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom