Not BBQ Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
As many of you know, I live in a condo complex and have only a gas grill. I love BBQ and make pulled pork and ribs on a regular basis using a combination of the oven and the grill.

I'm jealous of all the great smoking and BBQ you guys do and the pictures of the food makes me drool.

Today I made some baby backs. I started them with a rub and baked them in the oven at 250 F until almost done then finished them on the gass grill.

They lack the great smoke taste of BBQ'd ribs but weren't bad. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• DSC01796-1.JPG
    DSC01796-1.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Bravo Andy!! They look great!

Remember Uncle Bob's rules for a successful BBQ...Relax! Have Fun & Enjoy!(Your friends and family)

If you did all of those, plus you got to eat some good food, Then your BBQ was a complete, and total success!!

Bravo!!!

Not bad, Katie. They didn't have the great smoke flavor you'd expect but the rub and sauce gave it a good flavor.

They look wonderful! Even on your gas grill you can infuse smoke. Just place your soaked wood chunks (not chips) in some foil and form into a ball. Poke some holes all over the top and put down on your flame source. Let those babies smoke away while they are on the other side of your heat source. You might not even have to use your oven at all. Occasionally rotate them so they evenly cook.

Is that an option? Even if they smoke for an hour and few or so you can finish in your oven and then crisp up again on the grill?

They still look wonderful - no matter what!

Katie, Steven was not around today and he's a little too young to eat BBQ. Maybe next year.

'elf, I've tried smoking on the gas grill and the problem is that I cannot keep the heat low enough. With olny one burner on the lowest setting and the lid cracked open, the temp is still over 300 F.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, ladies.

Andy,
those ribs look great..I like a little smoke flavor but not a lot so I'd have loved those emm
kadesma:)

Katie, Steven was not around today and he's a little too young to eat BBQ. Maybe next year.

'elf, I've tried smoking on the gas grill and the problem is that I cannot keep the heat low enough. With olny one burner on the lowest setting and the lid cracked open, the temp is still over 300 F.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, ladies.

I have had similar trouble keeping a low temp on a gas grill too. Esp the one I own, it's ruthlessly hot at all times.

those look great ...
when i was making ribs with a oven/grill combo ..
i found a smoker box .. its a small cast iron box that you can put wood chips
or pellets in and put on a gas grill .. really helped with the smokiness flavor
i felt was missing ...

Check into a Smokin Tex electric smoker. I equate them to the "crock pot" of smokers. My boss will go home at lunch to let her dog out and she place 1-2 chickens in the smoker, sets the temp and then comes back to work. When she gets home a 6:30-7:00 her dinners ready and delicious!

those look great ...
when i was making ribs with a oven/grill combo ..
i found a smoker box .. its a small cast iron box that you can put wood chips
or pellets in and put on a gas grill .. really helped with the smokiness flavor
i felt was missing ...

Thanks for the tip but I can't keep a low enough temperature in my grill to do this, even at the lowest setting on one burner.

Check into a Smokin Tex electric smoker. I equate them to the "crock pot" of smokers. My boss will go home at lunch to let her dog out and she place 1-2 chickens in the smoker, sets the temp and then comes back to work. When she gets home a 6:30-7:00 her dinners ready and delicious!

Thanks, Renee, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the tip but I can't keep a low enough temperature in my grill to do this, even at the lowest setting on one burner.

Throw some wood chips in there anyway - before my gas grill started collecting dust I used to do the same (little steel wood chip box) and it worked fine.

Andy, the grill will do all of the cooking, but throwing a wood pouch or one of those smoker boxes will add smoke flavor....without bothering your neighbors.;)

Soak some chips in beer or water for 30-60 minutes, drain and place in a foil pouch or smoke box. Place on top of a burner (off to the side), when you start to see smoke, then add the meat.

Have some chips in reserve when the smoke diminishes.

Before I bought my smoker, I picked up one of those boxes from Lowes for like $7 and a bag of chips for $4.

Last edited:
I like to cook my ribs at about 225-250F. My grill cannot maintain a temperature that low. With one burner on the lowest setting and the lid propped open a bit, the temp under the cover is over 300F. I realize I can cook ribs at that temperature but prefer not to.

You can cook them exactly how you did in the OP.

300 seems pretty high. Have you double checked the guage?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom