"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for the nice words RB. I season the lamb chops with Herbs de Provence, garlic powder and S&P. I use a screaming hot CI skillet and since the chops are 2" thick, I cook them on the five sides (bone, both sides, top and bottom) to rare/med rare.
Sounds great. I saw how thick they were last time I was in Costco. Even had a package in my hand. But I put it back.

I figured you for rare to medium rare. Thanks for the post and picture.
I actually am certain now, lamb chops are in my near future.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #22
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Cat, you probably know that traditionally people have thought of food in terms of four flavors: sweet, sour, salty and bitter. In the early 1900s, a Japanese scientist identified a fifth flavor: umami. It means savory and makes your mouth water Think about the flavor in a long-cooked beef stew or a crispy piece of roasted chicken skin.

Umami flavor can be heightened by using certain ingredients that contain a large amount of the chemicals that give foods this savory flavor. These ingredients include Parmesan cheese, mushrooms, red wine and anchovies, among others.

So a small amount of anchovy paste spread on pork chops that will then be grilled will increase the savory, umami flavor but you won't taste the anchovy itself.

This is a pretty new idea in cooking. I've been reading "Cooks Illustrated," a magazine written by the staff of America's Test Kitchen, for over a decade and for the past couple of years, many of their recipes have included techniques like this to enhance flavor.
Oh I didn't know of this! Then I must try this! I didn't know these flavors would be so different.

Now this sounds very good. I'll try this, and thank you for correcting me!

With love,
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Oh I didn't know of this! Then I must try this! I didn't know these flavors would be so different.

Now this sounds very good. I'll try this, and thank you for correcting me!

With love,
~Cat
GG is very good at explaining things Cat. I bet you will enjoy this new adventure in cooking. It was not heard of when I was your age, and new to cooking.
Wait a minute, I read it was discovered in 1900. I'm not really that old, but I never heard of it at your age. lol
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #24
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
GG is very good at explaining things Cat. I bet you will enjoy this new adventure in cooking. It was not heard of when I was your age, and new to cooking.
Wait a minute, I read it was discovered in 1900. I'm not really that old, but I never heard of it at your age. lol
I have the fortunate advantage of being younger and learning all these new and different things now in my life. And it's best to learn now, before I start a family and start poisoning people. That looks very bad upon a resume.

And you aren't old! GG is indeed very good at explaining things.

With love,
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I posted this at tonight's dinner thread but thought I'd better put it here too, lest I get in trouble.

I have a couple of beautiful big thick loin pork chops in brine and I'll be doing them outside on the hot grill as instructed by America's Test Kitchen. You mix together
1 1/2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. anchovy paste
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs. oil
brush mixture on chops and grill with spectacular results. They always have beautiful grill marks without over cooking them. They should test with an instant read thermometer at 145 degrees, and rest covered for 5-10 minutes.

I bet boneless skinless chicken breasts (so hard to grill to perfection) would do equally well, although they should test at 165 degrees.
Hey Kay, are you just brushing onto the chops once, while raw? No marinating, no additional brushing as they cook?
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Hey Kay, are you just brushing onto the chops once, while raw? No marinating, no additional brushing as they cook?
Yep, just brush it on once on each side just before putting them on the grill. Remember it's important to have brined, rinsed and dried them first.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yep, just brush it on once on each side just before putting them on the grill. Remember it's important to have brined, rinsed and dried them first.
Brine?
Oh yeah... you did say brine...
OK, give me a quick brine recipe and time for one chop
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #28
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Brine?
Oh yeah... you did say brine...
OK, give me a quick brine recipe and time for one chop
One I have used is 4 cups water and 1/4 cup salt. Leave the chop in the brine for 1.5 to 2 hours. Rinse off thoroughly and dry dry dry.
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Thanks, RJ.
That'll be my brine then.
And I'm glad you didn't say to brine for six hours, or I wouldn't be having pork chops tonight, lol.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #30
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks, RJ.
That'll be my brine then.
And I'm glad you didn't say to brine for six hours, or I wouldn't be having pork chops tonight, lol.
You're welcome pac. Let us know how it turns out. It definitely keeps the chop juicy and tender, but I find that it seems to change the texture of the meat which I wasn't that fond of. Could be just me.
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
You're welcome pac. Let us know how it turns out. It definitely keeps the chop juicy and tender, but I find that it seems to change the texture of the meat which I wasn't that fond of. Could be just me.
I'll let you know... Monday now.
I decided to go with something else for dinner tonight, but that beautiful 1-1/2" chop will be awaiting me in a couple nights
It will be the first time I've brined anything, not counting dry brining a steak now and then. I just never felt a need to brine for juiciness. I do recall grilling extra thick pork chops years ago and having them a wee bit dry though... which is the reason I started favoring chops 1/2" or thinner.
We shall see.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'll let you know... Monday now.
I decided to go with something else for dinner tonight, but that beautiful 1-1/2" chop will be awaiting me in a couple nights
It will be the first time I've brined anything, not counting dry brining a steak now and then. I just never felt a need to brine for juiciness. I do recall grilling extra thick pork chops years ago and having them a wee bit dry though... which is the reason I started favoring chops 1/2" or thinner.
We shall see.
Hope I'm stating the obvious Pac, but you need to rinse the brine off of that gorgeous chop before you store it for Monday's dinner.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hope I'm stating the obvious Pac, but you need to rinse the brine off of that gorgeous chop before you store it for Monday's dinner.
Not obvious at all. Repetitive
You said to rinse and pat dry earlier. I'm on it, Kay... Monday
I made up the anchovy paste a week ago, so I've got all I need.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
You're welcome pac. Let us know how it turns out. It definitely keeps the chop juicy and tender, but I find that it seems to change the texture of the meat which I wasn't that fond of. Could be just me.
Your brine worked out perfectly, RJ.
And it did change the texture, but in a good way (for me). Almost like a filet mingnon. Not just juicy, but also tender. In spite of me liking thick pork cooked to 165F or so.

Good glaze, too. Very subtle. Had a little *something*, which I'll assume is this umami I've read about
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
So glad to read your report this morning Pac! I've been nervous about you liking the recipe/method as much as I do. All kidding aside, I always value your honest opinions.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #36
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Your brine worked out perfectly, RJ.
And it did change the texture, but in a good way (for me). Almost like a filet mingnon. Not just juicy, but also tender. In spite of me liking thick pork cooked to 165F or so.

Good glaze, too. Very subtle. Had a little *something*, which I'll assume is this umami I've read about
Glad it worked out to your liking Pac.
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:02 AM   #37
Head Chef
 
Rob Babcock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,311
Brining works well; I would recommend at least 8 hours for a really thick chop. However just doing a dry brine ie coat the item heavily with salt works about as well. Salt the crap out of it and leave it in the fridge for around 8 hours/overnight, then brush off any salt that hasn't been wicked into the meat.
__________________
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grill, pork

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.