Short ribs--First time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Here's my spin on Ask a Butcher's short ribs. This is the first time I have ever cooked short ribs.

The short ribs. After giving them a short soak in some Pacanis sauce, I decided on a mild version of Fred's Rub for the seasoning. Then onto the grill they went. Indirect at about 240F for 2-1/2 hours.
I also put some mesquite chips in a pouch above one of the burners, but while I did taste something that might have been considered "smoke".... I think the foil pouch was more for ornamentation.

short ribs start.jpg

After 2-1/2 hours

short ribs 2.5 hours.jpg

I pulled them off and got a foil pouch ready for them. No apple juice on hand, so in went some Dr Pepper pop (or "soda" for you folks by Pittsburgh). Then they got wrapped up and placed back on the grill for another 2-1/2 hours. Still indirect at 240F.
Here they are waiting to be placed in their Dr Pepper moisture bath. I had a hard time not grabbing one between these steps.

short ribs ready to foil.jpg

After 5 hours. waiting in their Dr Pepper bath for the next phase. You can see the little guy decided he didn't need his bone anymore.
I had a hard time not grabbing one here, too.....

short ribs 5 hours.jpg

Finally, the last cooking phase! Onto the grill again and brushed with some mild Pacanis Barbeque Sauce. I also chunked up some potatoes, seasoned them well, added some EVOO and placed them in a foil packet above one of the burners. These are not "Herb's" roasted potatoes. They are Fred's roasted potatoes ;)

short ribs and sauce.jpg

Finally..... dinner time!
Along with some cooked carrots and homemade bread toasted with some EVOO and rubbed with fresh garlic.

short ribs finish.jpg

A big thanks to Ask a Butcher for giving me the time frames of the different phases and cooking ideas. I just need to work on that smoking thing :rolleyes:

No apple juice on hand, so in went some Dr Pepper pop (or "soda" for you folks by Pittsburgh).

Short ribs look great! Very trendy dish these days.

FYI in the Burgh we say "pop." As a matter of fact, I would have guessed that you said "Soda" up there. After working in a hotel bar for 7 years, though, I got used to saying "soda" after getting a lot of puzzled looks! Now I switch it up depending on my audience.

The only person up here I heard call it soda was a guy I know from Pgh :huh:
Who can keep track with everybody relocating these days ;)

Thanks for the comp. I didn't know they were considered trendy, but I do know that next time I get some beef I'm going to ask the butcher for all the short ribs he can cut out of it.

Growing up in Vt we used to call soda "soda" ;)

Short Ribs look great
thumbsup.gif

Remember, most of the time, unless stated, the cooking times are just a guideline....sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.

Remember, most of the time, unless stated, the cooking times are just a guideline....sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.

Like I said, I had a real hard time not knocking about 3 hours off of that cooking time :LOL:

I didn't know they were considered trendy, but I do know that next time I get some beef I'm going to ask the butcher for all the short ribs he can cut out of it.

Well, this most recent article on the Short-Rib craze at top restaurants is all the way from early 2007. I once heard someone say, "If the world ever ends, I want to be in Pittsburgh. They'll be the last to find out!" So, maybe the short-rib fad is passing, but I would say for our region, we're WAY ahead of everyone else! You trend-setter, you.;)

LOL.... If Pgh is the last to find out, I guess that means Erie goes on its merry way never having known in the first place!

Looking good Pacanis.

The problem I have is, my supermarket carries short ribs but not the whole rack. AND, they cut beef ribs right down the middle so one half is bone and the other is meat. :huh: Like there's a ton of meat on a rib that you need to cut it in half. :bangin:

Thanks Jeekinz,
I remember those ribs when I was a kid. The kind with hardly any meat and a lot of bone.
I got these when I bought a front quarter, or "chuck" they called it. I told the butcher I didn't want a lot of "oddball" cuts, that I would rather have more made into hamburger, but I wanted some of those cuts to play around with..... Looking back.... what an IDIOT I was :wacko: But last time I got some beef I remember throwing these things out. I didn't know what to do with them and I wasn't as .... "adventurous" I guess :)

Love this forum!

i make short ribs in the crock-pot. sometimes i put bbq sauce on them. sometimes i do with carrot, potato, onions .
these are so yummy.

babe

It was suggested to me before to cook them like a roast, but I had barbeque sauce on my mind and held off cooking any until now.
When you do them in a crockpot with sauce, did you ever put them in frozen? I'm wondering how that would come out if I wanted to do some, but didn't take them out of the freezer.

Thanks Maverick. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can duplicate them.

I had some incredible Short Ribs at Soba (trendy Pan-Asian in Pgh) this week and thought of you, Pacanis. They might be my favorite food, too. Sooooo good braised with Massaman curry, which I had never tasted before.

Massaman according to wikipedia:

Massaman curry (Thai: แกงมัสมั่น; kaeng matsaman or gaeng masaman. IPA: [kɛːŋ matsaman]) is a Thai dish that is Muslim in origin. It can be made with duck, beef, and chicken. It usually contains coconut milk, roasted peanuts, potatoes, bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon, palm sugar, fish sauce, and tamarind sauce. Muslim, and later Portuguese, traders brought spices such as turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, cloves and nutmeg from the Middle East and India to the south coast of Thailand.

Seriously one of the most incredible dishes I've ever experienced. Dissolve in your mouth meat with this outrageously rich, complex, silky sauce. Can't wait to try it at home!

You just made my tummy growl, Jill......
Get it figured out and post the recipe! Sounds really good.

I am from Iowa, we mostly said pop, some said soda. My wife is from Chicago, she says soda and didn't even know what pop was. For awhile, when I was very very young, I thought pop and soda were too different products...

Back
Top Bottom