Why is grilling so much more fun?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's the beauty of corn. You buy it. You set it right on the grill. No prepping required.

You should carefully peel back the husks, dont remove them, and remove the silk. Then you can push the husks back into place. Soak them in some water before grilling to prevent burning. I add butter, salt, pepper and sometimes grated parm to my grilled corn.

Eggplant?! I better get used to zucchini first :LOL:
That's the beauty of corn. You buy it. You set it right on the grill. No prepping required. Hmmm, I wonder if you can grill carrots....

And; an inefficiently stacked dishwasher is nothing running it twice won't cure ;)

I like your reasoning......pssssst....don't tell engineer hubby......but I do the same thing......and do try the eggplant......it's delish........:ROFLMAO:

As far as carrots go I would consider the baby, baby ones---they are very tender and sweet to begin with and shouldn't take any more time than your corn....a little bit of brown sugar, butter, and seasonings, and seal them in foil packets over the grill ought to be yummo--try adding a bit of orange juice, too!!! My kids loved the baby carrots in their lunches for school....now again for those coordinates to Astana, KZ..........:)

To Jeeks

I should? :LOL:
OK, that's one method. I might give it a try to see what it's all about. I've seen that method mentioned a few times. It might be worth the extra effort.

The kebob reference was just my way of saying I've never been a fan of any veggie I've grilled except for corn (ok, and obviously potatoes), but I've really only cooked several of the veggies you mentioned as kebobs, not by themselves.
And I do eat roasted asparagus, but I prefer it steamed, so I only grill that a couple times a year. Too pricey nowadays anyway. To eat it like corn anyway. A couple ears bought two at a time cost me a buck. Asparagus is up around $4/bunch.... and I always eat the whole bunch.

I'm going to give that marinated zuchini a try though. This week. I'll let you know. How thick do I cut it?

In half, lengthwise, so you have two long pieces. Then marinate cut side down. I'm not a big fan of zucchini by itself, but I love it like this.

To Jeeks

I should? :LOL:
OK, that's one method. I might give it a try to see what it's all about. I've seen that method mentioned a few times. It might be worth the extra effort.

How do you deal with the silks? You clean the corn after it's cooked?

Here's a shortcut - First boil the corn then quickly sear the cobs on the grill for color and flavor. Twice cooked corn. lol There's a few other thing's I'm going to try two different cooking methods on. Got the idea from a Mark Bittman episode. The chef made braised pork which was fall apart done, then flattened the pieces out and pan roasted them. How cool is that?!

My grilled foods, in general, don't taste so good but what makes it fun for me is the ritual of firing up the grill and mingling over the flame with a bottle of beer. It doesn't matter what I'm cooking.
I have a perfectly good gas grill but am also looking for a new toy........ large charcoal grill to play with.

GotGarlic said:
You've got to try zucchini this way: cut in half lengthwise, whisk together EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and S&P and marinate zucchini, cut side down, for 1 hour. Grill cut side down about 10-12 minutes.

Switch out the lime for lemon, cilantro for oregano, add some cumin - that's just another way.

One of my favorites to grill is romaine!!!

expat - it actually picks up some grill marks - maybe a minute or two on the cut side and briefly on the uncut side. I drizzle olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper to the cut side before grilling.

You guys are making that grilled zucchini sound mighty good....

Jeeks, like GB said in Suzi's corn thread, the silk pretty much comes all off when you husk it. You peel the husk down after it's cooked and there might only be a strand or two to clean up. Much easier (I think) than getting the silk off before it's cooked. Beforehand the silk always seem to want to stick to the kernels. And I also rip that little ball of silk off before I throw it on the grill.
And I love twice baked potatoes.... but there is no way I am going to take the time to cook my corn twice :LOL: I'm all about little to no prep time. That's why I love this 2 hour creamy slaw recipe I found. Sure, it tastes better the next day, but it's good to go after 2 hours. My kind of coleslaw :)

Ok, now that I am over the envy of all the food pacanis posts on here... kinda like Old Blue... you start to wonder exactly how much yummy food can one turn out?

I dare someone to start a thread that depicts your worst cooking disasters!

Anyhow, I don't know that grilling is more fun, at least in Texas... it so hot that I have been avoiding it til this last weekend. I prefer to grill in the winter! But like you said pacanis... I think food just tastes so much better being cooked on a grill (wood briquettes, not gas, no lighter fluid) than being whipped up on my electric cheap-o stove!

I didn't know they grilled in TX, sattie. I thought they "barbequed"...... you know, with half a steer rotating on a spit.... ;)

So OK. I just picked up a couple zucchinis.
How long should they be on for? What kind of color am I looking for?

don't let them go too long, they get mushy fast....
see now I can't tell you a time..... I go by feel on that!

BTW, the corn was a little overdone the other day..... fire too hot and cook too drunk...
oops.
:)

oops, I just saw 10-12 minutes when I was writing down GG's marinade. What am I looking for in color? Just grill marks, starting to turn goldish brown.....?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom