Your favorite recipe to fix on the grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a butcher-smokehouse meat shop in town and he makes the best brats and hot italian sausage. One of my favorites. Oh great now I'm hungry.

Beer can chicken, except, brine the bird in lime, cilantro, cumin, garlic and onion, salt and white pepper. Then, instead of a beer can, any ol can, filled with margarita mix, tequillia, redonion, and jalapeno. Then while cooking, take some good bar b q sauce, water it down with some pale ail, add chipoltle powder, strain, and put in a squirt bottle and mist through out the cooking process, rendering potato chip crisp skin, and a moist, juicy, cut with a spoon tender, bird.

TATTRAT said:
Beer can chicken, except, brine the bird in lime, cilantro, cumin, garlic and onion, salt and white pepper. Then, instead of a beer can, any ol can, filled with margarita mix, tequillia, redonion, and jalapeno. Then while cooking, take some good bar b q sauce, water it down with some pale ail, add chipoltle powder, strain, and put in a squirt bottle and mist through out the cooking process, rendering potato chip crisp skin, and a moist, juicy, cut with a spoon tender, bird.

This sounds excellent. I seem to remember you talking about it awhile fairly recently.:) I will try this soon!

It is SO hot here in Puerto Vallarta that even considering cooking anything inside on the stove is out of the question. The heat index today makes the temperature106 degrees. Sooo..I made a marinade of lime juice, olive oil, chopped garlic, Mexican "pollo" seasoning, a little bit of honey and some ground red chiles. I pounded (worked up a sweat!) some boneless skinless chicken breasts and will grill them on the gas grill very quickly after they have marinated for about an hour. I plan to serve that on a BIG bed of romaine lettuce with slices of ripe avocado, cherry tomatoes, spring onions and sweet red pepper. I've made a dressing that approximates a cool ranch dressing. I'll serve with buttered tortillas. My son and his family (who live and teach school in China) are visiting, so there wil be six of us. It is hard to come up with palatable meals when the weather is so warm...I'll serve some sliced mango, papaya and pineapple alongside. That might be all the 7 and 9 year-olds eat, but it is good for them! Has there been a thread on hot weather cooking? Probably - I just haven't searched enough...hope you all enjoy your Monday evening dinners. After, we are going to a movie with cooool air conditioning. Karen

Last edited:
Yummy! You guys/gals have some amazing favorites. Thanks for sharing as you've given me more ideas of things to try out.

MexicoKaren said:
It is SO hot here in Puerto Vallarta that even considering cooking anything inside on the stove is out of the question. The heat index today makes the temperature106 degrees. Sooo..I made a marinade of lime juice, olive oil, chopped garlic, Mexican "pollo" seasoning, a little bit of honey and some ground red chiles. I pounded (worked up a sweat!) some boneless skinless chicken breasts and will grill them on the gas grill very quickly after they have marinated for about an hour. I plan to serve that on a BIG bed of romaine lettuce with slices of ripe avocado, cherry tomatoes, spring onions and sweet red pepper. I've made a dressing that approximates a cool ranch dressing. I'll serve with buttered tortillas. My son and his family (who live and teach school in China) are visiting, so there wil be six of us. It is hard to come up with palatable meals when the weather is so warm...I'll serve some sliced mango, papaya and pineapple alongside. That might be all the 7 and 9 year-olds eat, but it is good for them! Has there been a thread on hot weather cooking? Probably - I just haven't searched enough...hope you all enjoy your Monday evening dinners. After, we are going to a movie with cooool air conditioning. Karen
Senora,
I hope you stay with us and continue share your experiences. I love Mexican food but I'm limited to what I've had in Southern California and Texas.

A lot of what I cook is a combination of Southern US combined with Chicano or Tex-Mex.

Clearly from your first few posts, you are comfortable with a variety of culinary styles. I look forward to your posts. Please be patient if I ask an occasional dumb question.

MexicoKaren said:

I wonder what we have here that would compare to that seasoning?

Do you have a fajiata recipe you would care to share? Or a marinated shirmp?

Thanks so much for your kind responses...the chicken turned out great and everyone loved it. The label on the "Sazanador para pollo" says that it contains salt, paprika, dehydrated garlic and onion, and "herbias finas", which (according to my Google search) is probably thyme, savory. marjoram, sage. basil and lemon peel. That creates a nice, complex assortment of flavors. Good chicken is abundant here - "pollo asaderos" or whole chickens roasted on a huge rotisserie arrangement that roasts dozens of chickens at once can be found on numerous street corners. Underneath the cooking chicken you will find big chunks of potato, which absorb the falling juices and seasonings. Heavenly. The raw chicken is a rather startling shade of yellow on the outside, as Mexican chickens are fed marigolds. I am not an expert on Mexican cooking by any means - just struggling along here, learning new ways of cooking. I do love the availability of fresh fruits and vegetables. We also love the small, thin corn tortillas that I have never seen north of the border. I don't have a definitive fajita recipe, but have had some wonderful fajitas in restaurants here, made with beef, shrimp, fish, pork, etc. They always include lots of peppers and onions and soft warm tortillas. But it is the seasoning that is the variable, so I will continue to conduct my research (yum). The two surprises I've had are (1) the complete absence of cheddar or jack cheese. In the US, Mexican food is often smothered in cheese, as you know. Not here. Maybe a little crumbled "cojita" that is like feta. For quesadillas, they use a Oaxacan or Chihuahua cheese that is a little like mozzarella. And (2) the ubiquitous rice served here is nothing like so-called Spanish rice. Usually just a soft rice pilaf with a few jalapenos, onions, maybe a few carrots - no tomatoes. It's very very good.

Since it is the time of year to start grilling more, found the thread ! My favorites are Chicken, pork tenderloin, ribs, steak, burgers, hot dogs, etc.etc ------ lol, I cook almost every meal on the grill if I can !

I Love just about anything that is cooked on the grill. Cooking on my Egg is what I enjoy doing the most. I do it for a stress reliever.
My favorite to cook (due ti the ease) and eat (the flavor is out of this world) is "BOBB". It is Beer, Onion, Butter and Brats. Place the beer, butter, and sliced onion in a grill friendly pot place on heated grill either using a lid or foil,cover. Place brats on grill also. cook 10 minutes, flip brats, cook another 10 then place the brats into the pot cover and cook apprx 20-30 minutes more. I basically rely on my sense of smell for when its done. When it smells like it does at a state fair , then it's done

Having given this a bit of contemplation, I think fajitas are my fav dinner because everything is grilled. I love the grilled meat, the grilled tortillas, the grilled veggies....mmmmmmmmmm.:cool:

As a very new member I am just beginning to explore the forum and one of the first to catch my eye was the grillin’ thread. I see it started last year but was revived. I am pleased that I am not the silly new guy bringing back threads from the past.

I prefer a charcoal grill for flavor but now have a gas grill for convenience. I like many things from the grill but would have to make NY strip or Porterhouse my top choice.

I hope to pick up a few recipes from DC like some of the grilled veggies I read about on this topic thread. I do need more vegetable in my diet.

I do have a favorite recipe for grilling that is a marinated flank steak. It has beer, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, orange marmalade and some additional herbs. The orange marmalade usually throws people into a quizzical expression but it is subtle and a very tasty. This marinade also works well with a London broil which seems to be a little easier to find at the meat counter.

Welcome Mirandgl...go post on the Introduction thread so we all can say, "Hey!". :)

I have too many to name just one, I love cooking on the grill, no matter what it is, what the weather is doing, or what time it is.

Banana wrapped, kaluha style pork shoulders are AWESOME, and worth the long cook time.

I get great feed back on my version of beer can chicken. marinate the bird for a day or two in Lime juice, chopped cilantro, ground ginger, red chili flakes, canola oil, cumin, and some turmeric. Stand on grill over a can of singha, or Kirin Ichiban with lemongrass in it, and I like to keep a squirt bottle with chili oil, lemon and lime juice, a little apple juice, tequila, and chicken stock to mist the bird down periodically. Let the bird get nice and crispy, and I serve it with steamed Basmati rice, yogurt mint sauce, grilled pineapple, mango, peppers and onions. Makes great roll ups with tortillas the next day too.

Back
Top Bottom