Alcohol Stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherylfletcher

Assistant Cook
Hey Everybody! My family and I like to go camping atleast once or twice a month. We love to teach our kids about nature and the earth while we are out. We've usually used a large stove to cook with, but the children are getting old enough now to where they could both cook on their own. I've been looking at small stoves that the children could handle and didn't have an open flame. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this? Has anyone ever used this trangia stove either? Thanks for the help it would be greatly appreciated! Have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a number of years, but I recall we used a backpack-style propane burner that had wide legs and was low so it would be stable in case of a stiff wind or an accidental bump. I know it's not alcohol, but you might keep in mind something more stable.

Those small alcohol stoves are fine for weight conscious backpacker but they are somewhat slow to cook with as they don't really put out that much heat. Plus, I don't know how old your children are but alcohol flames are virtually invisible during the day so there might be some danger there.

I switched to a butane (camping gaz) stove for backpacking about twenty years ago. They actually burn really hot, weigh nothing, and work well at altitude. I think the brand is MSR, but I'm sure there are lots of them out there.

Back
Top Bottom