Apple-Dijon Pork Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
We had a wonderful meal tonight for some friends that are visiting. Since they arrived late last Monday, we postponed our regular Dutch Oven Monday and had a Dutch Oven Wednesday instead.

We'd been planning a pork dish for some time, so this was the night. Along with the pork roast, we had mashed potatoes, and buttered carrots. For dessert, we had Black Forest Torte with Cherry Brandy (which has been posted here before).

The recipe for the pork was actually from a slow cooker cookbook, so it was my first real conversion. The slow cooker recipe called for the roast to cook for 4 - 4 1/2 hours, so I figured about 3 hours would be about right. It turned out to be just perfect. The apple juice - dijon mustard sauce turned into a wonderful gravy for the potatoes. Surprisingly, the gravy had a nice little tang to it, but it wasn't sharp like you'd think it would be with the dijon mustard in it.

This is great recipe that results in a different tasting pork roast that is a real treat.

Apple-Dijon Pork Roast

12 inch dutch oven

Ingredients

1 boneless whole pork loin roast ( 2 – 3 pounds)
1 can (14 ½ oz.) chicken broth
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
½ cup Dijon mustard
6 tablespoons cornstarch
6 tablespoons cold water

Cut roast in half and place on a trivet in the 12” dutch oven. Combine the broth, apple juice and mustard and pour over roast. Cover and use 16 coals on top of the dutch oven and 8 coals under the dutch oven and cook for 3 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

Remove roast when cooked and keep warm. For gravy, strain cooking juices and skim fat. Pour juices into a saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth, gradually stirring into the juices. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice.

Servings - 8

Attachments

• Wednesday1.JPG
    Wednesday1.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 250
  • Wednesday9.JPG
    Wednesday9.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Wednesday14.JPG
    Wednesday14.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 224
It blew us all away. As the meal was cooking, I think everybody commented at least once about what the gravy would be like.

After the meal, everybody commented at least once about how great the gravy was! :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I made this a week or so ago. It’s wonderful! The gravy is great and has a “vinegary” taste that is wonderful. DW is a vinegar nut (both of us are actually), and she loves a gravy I make with a my pressure cooker pork roast that is heavy on the vinegar. This gravy reminded us of that, and was an instant hit. The meat is incredibly tender, and everything tasted great. Thanks for the recipe!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom