Banana Dump Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
I tried this recipe for the first time and found it to be very good. Because I was using my 12" DO for the main dish, I used a 10" DO for the cobbler. This recipe is definitely for a 12". :-p As the cobbler baked, the top kept touching the underside of the DO lid, so it did not have a nice finished look to it. But it tasted great! How could it not with a pound of butter and a pound of brown sugar in it? ;)

It was a fun recipe, and a delicious dessert. Now I have an excuse to get a 12" deep DO! :rolleyes:

Banana Dump Cobbler

Ingredients

1 package yellow cake mix
1 pound brown sugar
½ pound margarine
5 pounds bananas
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Procedure

Heat Dutch oven and cover with coals for 15 minutes. Slice bananas lengthwise and set aside. Prepare cake mix, and set aside. Remove preheated oven from coals
and melt butter in the bottom. Add brown sugar and mix well with butter. Add bananas and sauté for three minutes over fire. Pour cake mixture over bananas.
Fold banana-sugar mixture up over cake mixture a few times. Sprinkle with cinnamon and white sugar. Bake 35 minutes. For the first 10 minutes use coals on the bottom only. Then add coals to oven top and continue baking until done.

Attachments

• Dutch3.JPG
    Dutch3.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Dutch4.JPG
    Dutch4.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Dutch6.JPG
    Dutch6.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 207
Hey Garry,

We've done the banana cobbler before also. It's good stuff. Yeah for finding an excuse to get a deep 12 — we probably use that size more than any of the others. It looks like you're having a lot of fun with your ovens. Keep it up!

banana_cobbler1.jpg

banana_cobbler.jpg

Dutchess said:
Hey Garry,

We've done the banana cobbler before also. It's good stuff. Yeah for finding an excuse to get a deep 12 — we probably use that size more than any of the others. It looks like you're having a lot of fun with your ovens. Keep it up!

View attachment 2769

View attachment 2770

I'm having a great time with these ovens. And what's fun is when strangers walk by and have to stop and see what we're doing. It's very surprising how many people have never even heard of dutch oven cooking.

Yeah, I definitely think the next purchase will have to be a 12" deep. From what I'm seeing here on DC, and other research I've been doing, the deep DO's are really very versatile. And it'll be nice to not have to try to "adjust" the recipe to fit a smaller DO.

Dutch Oven

Where do you buy your dutch ovens? Aren't they cast iron? I have one my MIL gave me but really showing wear.

Good recipe to use your bananas when they are starting to get too ripe.

Thanks

Yes, all of my dutch ovens and skillets are cast iron, although you can get aluminum DO's. I've bought all my cast iron cookware at different Big 5 Sporting Goods stores.

However, there are lots of stores that you can find them in. Stores such as Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops are good examples. These stores seem to be a bit pricey. You can also buy them on line from the manufacturer's. Just do a search on the internet for cast iron cookware and you'll find lots of possibilities.

Regarding your MIL's worn DO, they really don't wear out. You might need to do a little restoration and seasoning, and if you do, you'll probably have a dandy DO.

Right

Thanks for suggestion! You are probably right about the seasoning. Just that I seem to have so much going keep forgetting to maintain things. Now if I could just find the post on here that has exact instructions. I know I printed them. Only if I can find them again.

Thanks again

In the Kitchen said:
Where do you buy your dutch ovens? Aren't they cast iron? I have one my MIL gave me but really showing wear.

Good recipe to use your bananas when they are starting to get too ripe.

Thanks

I agree. Thank god for recipes like this or I'd be throwing away tons of bananas.

In the Kitchen said:
Thanks for suggestion! You are probably right about the seasoning. Just that I seem to have so much going keep forgetting to maintain things. Now if I could just find the post on here that has exact instructions. I know I printed them. Only if I can find them again.

Thanks again

Here's a link to a post that discusses seasoning new and old dutch ovens. Maybe this is the one you were thinking of.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f37/seasoning-care-and-use-of-the-dutch-oven-9712.html

If not, another simple search on the internet will provide the needed information.

When my kids were little, I used to go to a lot of rummage sales, and that's where I bought most of my cast iron. We used to do a lot of camping back then, and it really came in handy.

Appreciation

Golfgar4 said:
Here's a link to a post that discusses seasoning new and old dutch ovens. Maybe this is the one you were thinking of.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f37/seasoning-care-and-use-of-the-dutch-oven-9712.html

If not, another simple search on the internet will provide the needed information.

Wow, and thank you so much. I am surely going to SAVE this now. I seem to want to do it when I read it but if the phone rings or food burning, I forget about it. I sure do thank you for your time and hope I can return the favor. Hope this cobbler turns out as good as it looks. Just have to leave the calories out.

Oh man, that looks good! Filed, credit given, and put onto the "Must Make List".

I just got a 10" Calphalon enamelled DO. It's not something I'd really want to use in a campfire. You mentioned that you did this in a 10" DO, but the top kept touching the lid. Do you think I can successfully do this without a lid, in my oven at home?

Dump?

Garry,
Why is it called a dump cake?, Do you dump it out when you're finished?

Greg

Golfgar4 said:
I tried this recipe for the first time and found it to be very good. Because I was using my 12" DO for the main dish, I used a 10" DO for the cobbler. This recipe is definitely for a 12". :-p As the cobbler baked, the top kept touching the underside of the DO lid, so it did not have a nice finished look to it. But it tasted great! How could it not with a pound of butter and a pound of brown sugar in it? ;)

It was a fun recipe, and a delicious dessert. Now I have an excuse to get a 12" deep DO! :rolleyes:

Banana Dump Cobbler

Ingredients

1 package yellow cake mix
1 pound brown sugar
½ pound margarine
5 pounds bananas
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Procedure

Heat Dutch oven and cover with coals for 15 minutes. Slice bananas lengthwise and set aside. Prepare cake mix, and set aside. Remove preheated oven from coals
and melt butter in the bottom. Add brown sugar and mix well with butter. Add bananas and sauté for three minutes over fire. Pour cake mixture over bananas.
Fold banana-sugar mixture up over cake mixture a few times. Sprinkle with cinnamon and white sugar. Bake 35 minutes. For the first 10 minutes use coals on the bottom only. Then add coals to oven top and continue baking until done.

AllenOK said:
Oh man, that looks good! Filed, credit given, and put onto the "Must Make List".

I just got a 10" Calphalon enamelled DO. It's not something I'd really want to use in a campfire. You mentioned that you did this in a 10" DO, but the top kept touching the lid. Do you think I can successfully do this without a lid, in my oven at home?

Absolutely. Since you're baking in a conventional oven anyway, you wouldn't need the top. You don't usually have a top on a cake that you bake in the oven normally, do you?

But I would suggest only putting about 2/3rds of the cake batter in. Since the recipe is designed to be made in a 12", you need to reduce something so that it fits the 10". I held back some batter when I did mine, but clearly I didn't hold back enough. It won't be as critical for you though, since you're not going to have a lid on the DO anyway.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it. :)

nightjar said:
Garry,
Why is it called a dump cake?, Do you dump it out when you're finished?

Greg

Simply put, Greg, it's called a dump cake because you "dump" the ingredients into the dutch. I think that most dump cakes don't even have the ingredients folded like this one does. With those, you just dump everything in and let them start to bake. It doesn't get much easier than that! ;)

I made it a couple of days ago. It was good, but obviously needed to be reduced in quantity.

I might make it again, only use a from-scratch cake batter, so I can better adjust my quantity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom