Chimney tree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jammero

Assistant Cook
I'm just learning how to use a DO and have heard about "Chimney tree's" for starting new coals. Would someone explain to me what one is and possibly show a photo?

A second question......I have a deep 12" cast iron with legs but also have a deep 10" aluminum without legs or a lid we got at a yard sale. We have used the 10" for years in the oven to cook roast and such using a regular pot lid.
The question is : Is the 10" used in the kitchen alone or can it be useds with coals in camp. If so, do you use the same amount of coals as with a cast iron, and can I use a round cast iron griddle that, I already have, for a lid. (It has a lip around it that would contain the coals and ashes.

Jammero, I think this is what you are referring to.

Just do a Google search for "charcoal chimney" and you will find sources for these items. Although, most home centers that sell grills, etc. should have them, too.

Oh, Uncle Bob, we need you for the rest of Jammero's questions.

Thank's Katie E, that link showed me what I need to know about the "Chimney". I think I can fabricate something that will work fairly well. Hopefully Uncle Bob can help me with the rest.

I would continue to use the 10 in aluminum pot as you have been. A round griddle would not give you a tight enough seal to use it with charcoal/wood coals to create a true Dutch Oven effect.

Jammero, as the others have said the 10” without legs and lids is more suited to the oven.

However, if you wanted to jury-rig it, you can place the 10” on an empty tuna fish can and place coals under…..but you would not have the ability to use “top heat” since you don’t have a lid. You could cover the top with foil, and rely strictly on bottom heat. This would be good for recipes that require boiling, sautéing, and simmering. The timing will change, so it will be hit and miss to do this, and only small portions should be done due to slow heat conductivity on bottom only heating, but it could be done.

The chimney is great. You can fake a chimney with an old coffee can as long as you have some air flow underneath such as putting the can on a grill grate so that it is raises the can and coal off a flat surface to allow air flow. Pyramiding your charcoals also achieves the same effect…..both of these shortcuts require lighter fluids (which you don’t care about in DO cooking).

Jammero,

You've received excellent information, so I'll add just a little more.

One thing to remember when using aluminum versus cast iron is that aluminum heats up MUCH faster that cast iron, and conversley, it cools down much faster. This can dramatically affect cooking times if you're using both at the same time. Another caution with aluminum is that they very easily get hot spots, which will cause the substance at that spot to burn faster. For this reason, aluminum dutch ovens, when used over coals, must be rotated even more frequently than the cast iron DO's to avoid burning.

I like Keltin's idea of using a tuna can to raise the DO so that you can get coals under it. I've seen bricks used for the same purpose. In either case, for the sake of stability for the DO, you should use 3 cans or bricks (or whatever you might come up with) under the dutch.

Thank's Keltin and Golfgar4. From what you guys have told me I think I'll use the 10" mainly at the house but take it on the road to use for heating up liquids and such. It has cast loops on it's sides for a wire handle that I will make for it so does anyone know where I might be able to get a replacement top for it?

Thank's Uncle Bob. After alot of looking with a magnifying glass we found where has a star and says Hamilton. Below that inside what looks like a ribbon it says Eternity ware. Below that is says Chicago, Ill. Above the star and Hamilton I believe it says Hamilton again in smaller letters but all I can make out is Ham....the rest has been scrubbed away over the years.
I'll check on the web and see what I can find.
Thank's again.

If you can't find anything from the manufacturer, find a restauarant supply store. Since it's aluminum and you'll be using it for heating liquids or soups and stews, it won't be as critical to get a really good fit. Just take an accurate measurement of the diameter, and then get the closest fitting aluminum lid you can find at the supply store. That should work just fine.

Thank's Garry. I checked on the net and couldn't find anything but for now I have a tin pot top that work's pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom