Chinese Pork Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Gary!

Let me tell you, you’re my inspiration! I’ve got a cheap-o digital camera with no flash somewhere around here (picked it up on a whim at a flea market….really cheap), I might be able to take pics. I’ll look into that and see if I can find it.

I’ve definitely discovered the SWAG method! :LOL:

I’m working on a Goulash right now (yeah, I couldn’t wait till the weekend to try the DO again!!) and it has rained here tonight. No wind, but the humidity is high and my bricks that I set my DO on are soaked, so I think it has retarded the coals a bit. So, using the SWAG method, I’ve adjusted and have the Goulash going.

I’m watching it this time and am trying to suppress my childhood giddiness over this method of cooking (dang it is fun!), so I think this will turn out. I have to say, it smells soooooooo good right now.

Once it is done, I’ll serve the goulash over buttered egg noodles with crusty garlic bread. Wish me luck, and if it turns out, I’ll post the recipe tomorrow. It’s my interpretation of goulash, but I think it’s going to be good. What I’ve seen is, outside of the hardcore classic Hungarian Goulash where they use 1 cup (yes 1 cup) of paprika, goulash in the US is a lot like beef stew with a twist.

And you’re right……..I’m gonna need more DOs!!!!!! ;)

And lastly, keep it up Gary! I look forward to your Monday DO posts every week! Very inspiring! Your posts and pics are what got me off my duff and headed down this path, so don’t stop!

Last edited:
Boy, that Goulash and noodles sounds like it'll be great! I hope it turns out for you so that you can post that recipe!

I haven't figured a real good solution to solving that rain problem. I suppose a nice shelter with open sides to it, but I don't think I have the storage space in my motorhome! :LOL: I actually have tried to erect an umbrella over my DO table to keep it dry,but that hasn't been too successful. I guess sometimes you just have to suck it up and use that old kitchen oven. :w00t2:

Thanks for the nice words. I'm having a ball doing the cooking, and just as much fun posting the info and pics and then getting the chance to chat with good folks like you. I'm going to have to think real hard on how to continue doing the Monday cooking once we're finished here in about 1 month. I hope I won't just be cooking for Jenny and I, because there'll be so much food that I'll gain a ton of weight! :shock:

Well, you’ll never be cooking for just you and Jenny as long as you post it here! And if you include your address, I’ll drive out and help you eat it! :LOL:

I’m only cooking for me and Lisa, so I have to adjust all our recipes for two, or at least for two with left-overs that will be eaten soon or frozen easily. So again, keep it up, you are a true inspiration!

Hi Gary,
The Chinese Pork Ribs look really delicious! I've only cooked a few things in our Dutch Oven so far (mainly camping in Yellowstone). How ofen do you rotate the DO? I've read that you should rotate a quarter turn every 15 minutes.

Thanks

Hi Gary,
The Chinese Pork Ribs look really delicious! I've only cooked a few things in our Dutch Oven so far (mainly camping in Yellowstone). How ofen do you rotate the DO? I've read that you should rotate a quarter turn every 15 minutes.

Thanks

Depending on your DO and the weather conditions (wind and temp being big factors), you can actually get away without ever turning your DO. I’ve cooked many, many dished in mine an never turned it. Mileage may vary.

Turning is a good idea for un-even fires/coals, windy conditions, etc, but being lazy and using briquettes, I’ve never done it (turned the lid or the DO) and have never seen a difference.

Keltin's correct that many times you do not need to turn the DO. Turning every 10 or 15 minutes is one of those personal preference things. I myself do turn the DO every so often, especially with meals that are being cooked with top heat. I think it is especially important in instances where what you're cooking is very close to the under side of the lid, or when you're cooking something with a crust on top, like a pot pie.

Like I said, turning is a personal preference. Knock on wood, I've never burned anything yet, so I happen to think one reason is because I do turn the DO and the lid every 10 - 15 minutes. I guess I've reached the point where I'm afraid not to turn them! :rolleyes:

Garry,
I've had 2 reactions to cooking in cast iron. The first was in high school when we tried to make apple sauce in a DO. It turned green. Years later I made pork and souerkrat in a DO. I noticed my dinner companion's teeth had a blueish cast to them. A third person came alongover an hour later. We watched as her teeth turned blue before we laughed out loud. Jon

Garry,
I've had 2 reactions to cooking in cast iron. The first was in high school when we tried to make apple sauce in a DO. It turned green. Years later I made pork and souerkrat in a DO. I noticed my dinner companion's teeth had a blueish cast to them. A third person came alongover an hour later. We watched as her teeth turned blue before we laughed out loud. Jon

YIKES!! :shock:

I have heard of some reactions with ingredients like tomatoes. And luckily I've never experienced any - yet. :rolleyes:

But having the apple sauce turn GREEN and teeth turning BLUE?? WOW. Do you know if there was somethging wrong with the dutch ovens that those foods were cooked in? Maybe the DO's hadn't been prperly seasoned, or maybe not properly cleaned?

I'd love to hear if anyone else has experienced those extreme reactions, and how to avoid them.

Back
Top Bottom