Corned Beef with Cabbage and Vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
I cooked corned beef and cabbage for our Dutch Oven Monday Night meal tonight. It was a recipe that I found in Dale Smith's Great Meals Dutch Oven Style. It includes potatoes and carrots.

It's a good recipe, but I think the cooking time should be lengthened if you want the corned beef really tender. I followed the recipe, and after 2 hours, put the cabbage, carrots, and potatoes into the DO. It cooked for another hour when the vegetables were tender but firm. But I think that at least another hour, or possibly even 2, for a total of 4 - 5 hours would have made the corned beef "fork tender".

I'd definitely give this recipe an A. But make sure to allow enough time to get the corned beef tender.

Corned Beef with Cabbage and Vegetables

Use 12 inch dutch oven
Use 8 coals on bottom in checkerboard pattern
Use 16 coals on lid in a ring
Trivet

1 4-pound corned beef brisket
3 pounds potatoes cut into quarters
1 12 oz. package baby carrots
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon beef paste or 2 bullion cubes
4 cups of water
1 small head of cabbage cut into quarters
10 small pearl onions
½ large yellow onion quartered
Salt and pepper to taste

Use a trivet in bottom of dutch oven. Place brisket, with fat side up on trivet. Season with salt and pepper. Add water, bay leaf, beef paste and yellow onion. Cover and simmer slowly for about 2 hours. Add potatoes, carrots, cabbage and pearl onions. Add enough water to cover and replace lid and continue to simmer slowly until vegetables are tender, but firm.

Attachments

• Corned Beef5.JPG
    Corned Beef5.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Corned Beef1.JPG
    Corned Beef1.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 222
  • Corned Beef7.JPG
    Corned Beef7.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 212
You should cook the corned beef until it's fork tender and ensure you slice it across the grain to ensure tenderness.

Andy M. said:
You should cook the corned beef until it's fork tender and ensure you slice it across the grain to ensure tenderness.

Clearly the recipe should allow more time so that the beef is more tender. I didn't realize that how it's sliced will help with the tenderness.

Good tips. Thanks! :)

Mixed pickling spice contains black peppercorns, yellow mustard seed, hot red pepper flakes, allspice berries, dill seed, mace, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, whole cloves and ground ginger.

Spice Mix Chart - Home Cooking

I just use the little packet of spices that comes with the vacuum packed corned beef. I guess that's not available everywhere, though.

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]
[/FONT]

Hi Chop!
Pickling salt is any salt that has no additives.
Pure sodium chloride, no iodine, no sea salts.

Thanks Grillingfool! But if I can't find Sodium Chloride here, can't I just use sea salt for pickling the beef? The meat would have to be pickled in the fridge for about 6 days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom