"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
fulljeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Idaho Falls
Posts: 19
Question Dry White Wine Substitute?

I have been doing research to find out what will be the best substitute for dry white wine in this amazing Dutch oven recipe. I am a Boy Scout leader and don't want to be bringing wine on scout outings (plus I don't drink). I want to try to replicate the wine as close as possible without throwing off the taste of the dish as I realize it is a key ingredient.

I know that substitutions depend on the recipe so here are the ingredients.

Salmon River Chicken Cordon Bleu In Wine Sauce
4 Chicken breasts
Ham
Swiss Cheese
Flour
Sour Cream
cheese/galic dry salad dressing
parmesan cheese
1/2 c. dry white wine (what can I substitute???)
eggs
butter
bread crumbs
cream of chicken soup


fulljeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,515
Would chicken stock work??
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Chicken stock would be what I would have suggested as well for this particular recipe.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Dry White Wine Substitue?

This comes up fairly often. I'm guilty of never finding an answer because I always use "the real deal". I see where you can't!!!!

I would try subbing with white grape juice, apple cider, apple juice, mixed with a bit of water so it's not so sweet. My first sub choice would probably be diluted white grape juice...probably equal parts.
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,041
This isn't exactly a delicate little dish. With all the heavy ingredients (Swiss and Parmesan cheese, cream of chicken soup, garlic & cheese salad dressing mix, sour cream, eggs, butter, and ham), cup of wine would add insignificant flavor. I doubt your scouts, or just about anyone for that matter, would be able to tell the difference if you omitted it entirely and simply added cup of water.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,515
Something else I thought of....Ginger Ale!

As the father of an Eagle Scout let me personally thank you for the work you do for Scouting!! ---- Thank you!!!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
This isn't exactly a delicate little dish. With all the heavy ingredients (Swiss and Parmesan cheese, cream of chicken soup, garlic & cheese salad dressing mix, sour cream, eggs, butter, and ham), cup of wine would add insignificant flavor. I doubt your scouts, or just about anyone for that matter, would be able to tell the difference if you omitted it entirely and simply added cup of water.
Yea, I know what you mean about the rest of the ingredients being heavy. I have used white wine with cream of mushroom soup and it gave it a certain sweetness. That's why I truly think some watered down white grape juice would work...still lending that bit of sweetness that cuts through the creaminess of the other ingredients.

I also don't think anyone would notice. If it were me I'd use the watered down grape juice because I think it would work the best in subbing that flavor.
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I would not use anything sweet as a sub. either chicken stock or water would be fine. You might even want to dilute the chicken stock half and half with water, to replicate the texture of the wine.

Sounds like a tasty recipe!
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Cook
 
LaurenG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Posts: 53
Thank you for asking this question!! So many of the recipes I would love to make call for white wine, but since I'm not 21 yet I guess I'll just have to be patient and try some of these substitutes.
LaurenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Yea, I know what you mean about the rest of the ingredients being heavy. I have used white wine with cream of mushroom soup and it gave it a certain sweetness. That's why I truly think some watered down white grape juice would work...still lending that bit of sweetness that cuts through the creaminess of the other ingredients.

I also don't think anyone would notice. If it were me I'd use the watered down grape juice because I think it would work the best in subbing that flavor.
By definition DRY white wine -- or any dry wine, for that matter -- is extremely low in residual sugar, generally less than 1/2 percent by weight and often much lower, frequently in the range of 1/10 to 3/10 of a percent.

Granted, alcohol itself has a somewhat sweet note, but it all quickly evaporates when it's heated.

Consequently, adding anything sweet as a substitute for the dry wine could alter the taste of the dish. I wouldn't do it.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Sous Chef
 
gadzooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 889
Hmmmmm...most common substitute for dry white wine here in southern California is probably Valium, but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for. I'd go with the chicken broth.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post

Granted, alcohol itself has a somewhat sweet note, but it all quickly evaporates when it's heated.
This is a common misconception. See this chart.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,041
The amount of alcohol remaining in the recipe cited would be insignificant. A half-cup of wine contains roughly a tablespoon of alcohol; assuming the dish is baked for about an hour, only 25 percent of that tablespoon would remain, or roughly a teaspoon in the entire dish. Assuming it serves four, that would be a quarter of a teaspoon per serving. Robert Parker himself wouldn't be able to detect it, especially in that thick, heavily flavor sauce.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I am not denying the amount would be negligible. I am saying that your quote about it evaporating quickly when heated is wrong.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
We're not wine drinkers, so I generally substitute chicken broth, water or more of some other liquid in the recipe (like another can of diced tomatoes).

(I don't have any valium.)
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
We're not here to argue the point Scotch. When wine is added to a dish there is still a sweet note. Even a DRY white wine can be fruit forward...and I'm not talking residual sugar, merely fruit. Wine is NOT an option for the OP anyway. A SUBSTITUTE is what he's looking for. So really, alcohol left, residual sugar, is a moot point. Troken can still lend itself to fruit forward notes.
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 453
Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I think this has pretty much been settled. I agree that in this case, chicken stock or merely water will do pretty well as a substitution.

However, a thought occurred to me - for situations like this, cooking wine (the stuff with salt added to make it pretty much non-drinkable) might be worth playing with. It is also an option for LaurenG, as it is legal for minors to buy and use.
__________________
Russ
Russellkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
We're not here to argue the point Scotch. When wine is added to a dish there is still a sweet note. Even a DRY white wine can be fruit forward...and I'm not talking residual sugar, merely fruit. Wine is NOT an option for the OP anyway. A SUBSTITUTE is what he's looking for. So really, alcohol left, residual sugar, is a moot point. Troken can still lend itself to fruit forward notes.
"We're not here to argue the point"? What does that mean? Obviously you are here to argue the point because that's what you always do, so I can only assume that you mean "I'm right because I'm the moderator." Nonsense!

Fruit flavor in wine does not equal sweetness; residual sugar in wine does equal sweetness. Dry white wine doesn't taste anything like watered-down grape juice, and the suggestion to substitute one for the other makes no sense to me.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:40 AM   #19
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
I think this has pretty much been settled. I agree that in this case, chicken stock or merely water will do pretty well as a substitution.

However, a thought occurred to me - for situations like this, cooking wine (the stuff with salt added to make it pretty much non-drinkable) might be worth playing with. It is also an option for LaurenG, as it is legal for minors to buy and use.
IMHO, so called "cooking wine" should not be an option for anyone, as it is the lowest quality wine with lots of salt added, and for what you are buying is VERY expensive. for Lauren G, I cooked with wine long before I was old enough to drink. My mother bought it for her own cooking use. My parents were not wine drinkers until I educated them, but my mother purchased and used wine for cooking.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I would not use anything sweet as a sub. either chicken stock or water would be fine. You might even want to dilute the chicken stock half and half with water, to replicate the texture of the wine.

Sounds like a tasty recipe!
I agree. It's not meant to be sweet. If an acidic note is warranted, hit the chicken broth with a little rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
substitute, wine

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.