Dutch Oven and Camp Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matts

Assistant Cook
Our Direct-TV powered Tivo picks up the show Dutch Oven and Camp Cooking with Cee Dub Butch Welch on RFD-TV for us. I don't know how or why it choose that show, but my wife and I watch it every week. So much so, that I bought an aluminum dutch oven from Campmor last year, and have cooked in it a few times, and need a few recipes.

Has anyone bought CW Welch's Book on camp cooking? He was a game officer in Idaho for a number of years, and cooked in a dutch oven by necessity.

You can Google CW here.

We also enjoy watching Cee Dub's show on RFD-TV and are looking forward to the new episodes that will start airing tomorrow. I have his book, Cee Dub's Dutch Oven and Other Camp Cookin', and can recommend it. It's full of both good recipes and good stories.

We have had both the aluminum and iron dutch ovens. For the way we cooked, the aluminum one burned too much. You can make just about any recipe you want that is a stew or even crockpot recipe. We have even made wild blueberry cobbler with berries we picked. Great memories.

OOPS Unexpected Guests

I thought I would share this Dutch Oven recipe I made when some unexpected but welcomed guests who showed up for dinner at our motor home recently. There was not enough of a main meal to share but I had plenty of time so here is what I did.
Sliced about six or seven Russet potatoes 1/8 to a 1/4 thick.
Sliced up two large Vidalia onions.
Sliced up four or five carrots.
Sliced several stalks of celery.
Coarsely sliced one bunch of cilantro.
Coated the bottom of Dutch Oven with olive oil
Layered with potatoes, onion, carrots, cilantro and celery. Poured over the top a can of Italian Seasoned Tomatoes. Before closing the lid I coated the top with oregano.
I placed the whole thing over the fire on the grill for about two hours and served it directly from the dutch oven.
I then took the two chicken breasts we were going to have that night and cut them into strips about 2" wide. I used the same Italian themed seasonings and grilled them over the fire. Along with a bagged lettuce salad we had more than enough food for the company and us. To bad there was no wine in the cabinet.

Gretchen said:
<snip> ... the aluminum one burned too much. ... </snip>

Yeah, I agree in my limited experience with my aluminum oven, I've burnt food more than I would have thought. I guess less heat is required with the aluminum dutch.

Hey Chaplain Kent!
I've printed off your recipe and hope to try it this weekend. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both his books and have sticky-noted far more recipes in the second book than the first.

aluminum is a much better conductor of heat than cast iron...but cast iron holds the heat much better once it gets hot.

Back
Top Bottom