This recipe should work well in your dutch oven, especially with a cooking fire.Dutch Babies
Fill with fresh fruit slices and serve with whipped cream or syrup, or even a fruity sauce.
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
* 1 pinch ground nutmeg
* 1 pinch salt
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting
1. Place a dutch oven over the fire, and heat the lid and pot until butter melts and begins to sizzle. Swirl the butter until the bottom and sides are coated. Pour excess butter into a mixing bowl.
2. In a the same mixing bowl, beat eggs with a whisk until light. Add milk and stir. Gradually whisk in flour, nutmeg and salt.
3. Remove the dutch oven from the fire and let cool for a minute. Pour all the batter into the dutch oven and return to the fire. Make sure to put 8 to ten hot coals on the lid.
4. Bake until puffed and lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Remove promptly and place on a wire rack to let the steam escape (keeps the pancake from getting soggy). sprinkle with powdered sugar, and top with freshly sliced fruit, and a dollop or two of whipped cream. Cut into wedges and serve.
Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…
Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.