Dutch Oven Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
Since it was Sunday, that meant I was cooking something in the dutch oven. I've always wanted to try a pizza, so I planned on that. In all honesty, this recipe did not turn out the way I'd hoped. It was edible, and we certainly didn't gag or anything when we ate it. But it sure didn't impress us. I'm not saying it was a failure, because it turned out the way it was supposed to. But it sure wasn't that good.

The recipe calls for 1 1/2 lbs. of hamburger mixed with Italian seasoning and garlic powder, which is way too much meat. I'll be revising the recipe to use only a 1/2 pound of meat. And I'll change the hamburger to Italian sausage, so I probably won't need the seasonings. That's a personal choice, so maybe you would leave in the hamburger. Even though the recipe calls for crescent roll dough, I used regular refridgerated pizza dough. I like the taste better for "crusts" than what the crescent rolls dough provides. The last thing that I did wrong was that I didn't use enough of the cheeses. I think it was because the mound of hamburger was so big that the whole thing looked way too big, so I ended up on skimping on the cheeses. You definitely should use all 8 ounces of both cheeses. I was very careful to turn the dutch frequently (about every 10 minutes) so that the bottom would not burn. But it still came out darker than I expected. I believe this is because the number of coals under the dutch the recipe calls for are too many. I'll reduce the number by 3 coals the next time I make this.

I've included the original recipe in case someone would like to try it. But if you do, you must promise to let me know how yours turned out!

Campfire Dutch Oven Pizza
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
2 tsp. italian seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt & black pepper to taste
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 can crescent rolls
1 jar pizza sauce 8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
8 oz. shredded Mozzarella cheese
Optional Toppings
3 Tbs. diced red bell pepper
1 (8 oz.) can mushroom stems & pieces;drained
12 black olives; sliced
½ medium red onion; diced
3 Tbs. diced greeen bell pepper
1 Pkg. Pepperoni

Heat a 12" Dutch oven using 18-20 briquettes bottom until hot. In a medium bowl add ground beef, italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper; mix together with your hands. Drop ground beef by small pieces into the hot Dutch oven and fry until brown. Remove browned beef from Dutch oven and wipe oven down with a paper towel.
Pour olive oil into Dutch oven and spread evenly over bottom of oven. Unroll the can of crescent rolls and line the bottom of the oven with a layer of flattened rolls. Spoon pizza sauce evenly over crescent rolls. Sprinkle evenly with seasoned ground beef, any of the optional toppings of choice, and top with Cheddar and Mozarella cheeses.
Cover and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 16-18 briquettes top for 20-30 minutes until crust is browned on edges and cheese is bubbly.
Serves: 6-8

Attachments

• Dutch Pizza2a.jpg
    Dutch Pizza2a.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 405
  • Dutch Pizza3a.jpg
    Dutch Pizza3a.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
do pizza

Since it was Sunday, that meant I was cooking something in the dutch oven. I've always wanted to try a pizza, so I planned on that. In all honesty, this recipe did not turn out the way I'd hoped. It was edible, and we certainly didn't gag or anything when we ate it. But it sure didn't impress us. I'm not saying it was a failure, because it turned out the way it was supposed to. But it sure wasn't that good.

The recipe calls for 1 1/2 lbs. of hamburger mixed with Italian seasoning and garlic powder, which is way too much meat. I'll be revising the recipe to use only a 1/2 pound of meat. And I'll change the hamburger to Italian sausage, so I probably won't need the seasonings. That's a personal choice, so maybe you would leave in the hamburger. Even though the recipe calls for crescent roll dough, I used regular refridgerated pizza dough. I like the taste better for "crusts" than what the crescent rolls dough provides. The last thing that I did wrong was that I didn't use enough of the cheeses. I think it was because the mound of hamburger was so big that the whole thing looked way too big, so I ended up on skimping on the cheeses. You definitely should use all 8 ounces of both cheeses. I was very careful to turn the dutch frequently (about every 10 minutes) so that the bottom would not burn. But it still came out darker than I expected. I believe this is because the number of coals under the dutch the recipe calls for are too many. I'll reduce the number by 3 coals the next time I make this.

I've included the original recipe in case someone would like to try it. But if you do, you must promise to let me know how yours turned out!

Campfire Dutch Oven Pizza
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
2 tsp. italian seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt & black pepper to taste
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 can crescent rolls
1 jar pizza sauce 8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
8 oz. shredded Mozzarella cheese
Optional Toppings
3 Tbs. diced red bell pepper
1 (8 oz.) can mushroom stems & pieces;drained
12 black olives; sliced
½ medium red onion; diced
3 Tbs. diced greeen bell pepper
1 Pkg. Pepperoni

Heat a 12" Dutch oven using 18-20 briquettes bottom until hot. In a medium bowl add ground beef, italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper; mix together with your hands. Drop ground beef by small pieces into the hot Dutch oven and fry until brown. Remove browned beef from Dutch oven and wipe oven down with a paper towel.
Pour olive oil into Dutch oven and spread evenly over bottom of oven. Unroll the can of crescent rolls and line the bottom of the oven with a layer of flattened rolls. Spoon pizza sauce evenly over crescent rolls. Sprinkle evenly with seasoned ground beef, any of the optional toppings of choice, and top with Cheddar and Mozarella cheeses.
Cover and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 16-18 briquettes top for 20-30 minutes until crust is browned on edges and cheese is bubbly.

Serves: 6-8
I would cook the meat, clean the dutch oven and line it with foil and add the other ingredients to keep the ottom from burning...just a thought.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom