Dutch oven pulled pork sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doweboy17

Assistant Cook
I just recieved a dutch oven for X-Mas and I've been looking for a recipe for

pulled pork sandwiches. I am going to Michigan for the NASCAR race and I

would like to cook something rather simple and different.:pig:

Check out http://forums.idos.org Do a search and pick and choose among recipes.

My only concern is the fat. A pork should puts out a lot of fat and juice. The juice is delicious, but the fat is too much.

I always do this in a smoker, but if I were to use DO for this I think this is how I would do it.

So, give the shoulder a good rub with a barbecue seasoning of your choice. A lot of people would add barbecue sauce or even Dr. Pepper to the pot. I might go wiith some barbecue sauce thinned way out with beer. Only about an inch of liquid up the sides of the shoulder though.

Put it on the coals for a temp of 225-250 and let it go. You'll have to replenish coals every 45 minutes or so.

Turn the shoulder every time you add coals. When the roast reaches 190 or so, take it out and let it rest well wrapped for an hour. Meanwhile defat the juice from the pot. Reserve the juice.

Shred up the pork. Two forks or by hand is traditional. Shortcuts include chunks in the stand mixer and use the dough hook on low. Or smaller chunks in a food processor with the PLASTIC blade (NO STEEL) for a few pulses. This tends to produce a fine shred though.

Now, add a little rub to the shreds, mix. Add some of the juice and a bit of cider vinegar. Maybe some hot sauce too. Taste. Keep adding this combo of flavors until the result is as you like it.

Serve on buns with barbecue sauce and coleslaw.

thymeless

Unless I want to spend a lot of time and effort on my pulled pork, I chunk it [pretty large chunks] and remove all the fat I can. I then put it in a slow cooker after I've rubbed and seasoned it, cook on high until it comes to temp and then cook all day on low. I remove it from the slow cooker, let it cool and then remove as much fat and connective tissue as possible and then pull it apart.

Put it in a 250* oven for 8 hours uncovered. Use the Dutch oven to serve it.

Thanks for all the ideas. I am sure I will put one of them to use this weekend.:pig:

Back
Top Bottom