Dutch Oven sizes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Could any of fellow dutch oven owners help me out please?

My self and my mom went to Dunham sports to look at the dutch ovens, I've picked one out and I think it was a size 12, She said what your trying to cook for the army? And she goes on to say that a size 2 to size 4 will work good for me, but if I need a big one to get the size 7.

The size 7 quart will allow me to cook for 5-6 people at lest, And my mom said that the size 2 quart will cook for 2-4 people.

So what size do I want to get?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you want it for? How many people will you routinely be cooking for? Do you plan on making lots of leftovers? Cooking roasts etc in it?

On my stove, top a 12" diameter / 7 quart is about the biggest I can use. I have two four quart ci do's as well. Bear in mind that the need to stir some dishes (like chili) prevents filling the pot to the stated capacity. We like to use the 7 quart + a 4 quart to make enough chili to have some for the freezer.

What do you want it for? How many people will you routinely be cooking for? Do you plan on making lots of leftovers? Cooking roasts etc in it?
Roughly 4-7 depending on camping, I will be making some left overs to store in the freezer, and I will be using the Do a lot.

.......Also are you looking for a "Kitchen" oven, or a "Camp" (with three legs) oven??
Actually I want one that can do both, because I'm still going to use it this winter on top of my stove when I Can't camp.

On my stove, top a 12" diameter / 7 quart is about the biggest I can use. I have two four quart ci do's as well. Bear in mind that the need to stir some dishes (like chili) prevents filling the pot to the stated capacity. We like to use the 7 quart + a 4 quart to make enough chili to have some for the freezer.
Well the one we saw was a 12 quart? I think It had 12' on the lid

Twelve quarts = three gallons
Three gallons = approximately 693 cubic inches (@ 231 cu inch per gallon or 57.75 cu inches per quart)
Using the volume formula for a cylinder (area of the base x height):
Pi x R squared x height =
A 12inch diameter x 6.13inch tall cylindrical vessel has a 3gallon internal volume.

measurements are to the top of the pot. So a three qt pot really cooks 2 qts of food. etc.

Standard useful sizes are 3 & 5 for daily cooking and a biggie 9 to 12 qt for party cooking. (I got a great bargain on a 13 qt and thought well I'll never use it. Wroing...chili for cookouts, red sauce for spaghetti suppers at church etc. I use it all the time!)

Are you talking raw cast iron or enameled or some other material? "But you'll never use it" well, they last forever. Your family grows etc. The investment in good cookware pays off.

Chili chef said:
Actually I want one that can do both, because I'm still going to use it this winter on top of my stove when I Can't camp.

For camping you will need/want a "Camp" oven. The one with three legs.
It hangs over the fire for stews, braises etc. Also it can be used as a Dutch Oven to bake breads, biscuits, cake, pies, cobblers etc...This oven used in the house can be precarious to use on the stove due to the legs sometimes not matching up with the grates, but it can be done. You must make sure it is stable before you begin cooking...You will need a Gas stove as it will not work on an Electric one. A good choice here is the 8 Qt. 12 in. diameter, 5 in. deep Camp oven by Lodge. L12DC03 (I think) is the model number. It will meet and/or exceed all of your needs.

If your stove is Electric then your choices would be...The flat bottom ovens from Lodge. I would recommend the Original finish, traditional wire bail models in either the 7 Qt. 12 in. diameter, 4 3/4 in deep (10DO2A) or the larger 9 Qt. 13 3/4" diameter 4 3/4" deep (12DO2A) ...With the wire bail the oven can be hung over camp fires etc when camping.

If two ovens are in your future then consider the "Camp" oven described above for camping, and one of the flat bottom ovens with loop handles available in 4, 5 and 7 Qt. sizes for inside the house. The loop handles make it easier to handle going in and out of the stove's oven for braises etc. The wire bail is not needed inside the house.

HTH...

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

I SAY BUY ONE IN EAC SIZE, THEN YOU (oops) know for sure you'll have what you need. My 8 quart dutch oven is enoough to feed at least 15 people. ususall you will have some other things alone side that stew for peopple to eat so figure a cup or two per person.

Back
Top Bottom