Feeding a bachelor party out of a jumbo frying pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zorbin

Assistant Cook
I'm seeking suggestions for pub-style food that I can serve around the campfire to 15-20 guys. I have a wonderful old chuckwagon type frying pan that is big and deep enough to fry anything imaginable. Last time I tried to do dry ribs (braised in a dutch oven first) with ok results. The time before that I tried chicken wings - not recommended due to an interesting experience with flaming chicken fat.

I need bar food - not the usual campfire fare - that can be cooked over an open flame in my amazing frying pan. Thanks for your suggestions.

One other constraint: one of our guests has an allergy to seafood.

Welcome aboard, Zorbin.

Bad news.

You're asking for suggestions for finger food and want to prepare it in an inappropriate vessel. Ribs, wings, mozz. sticks, etc. are bar/pub food and none are prepared in a frying pan.

You could make chili, beef stew, shepherd's pie, stuff like that. You're trying to force foods into your pan. Your less than desirable results with the ribs and wings should make it clear the frying pan and your choice of foods aren't the best combination.

Sorry to be blunt but you might have more happy campers if you changed either the menu or the equipment.

I'd go for the chili or the stew idea if I were you. "Pub" style food would be hard unless your talking putting together some reubens or ham and cheese sandwiches and grilling them in the pan. With that many people you'd be cooking for awhile.

What about kielbasa or brats cooked in a vat of beer, onions, and butter? Get some brat mustard and sauerkraut. A couple bags of these specialty chips they make now - I just had the Kettle brand salt and black pepper and boy were they good. They were salt forward with a nice pepper finish. You could make potato salad or something else ahead of time and just have it ready to go. Even if you pre-made wings you could heat them back up on the grill itself.

Maybe this will give you a few ideas to get started with anyway. Sounds like a fun trip - maybe you should hire a few waitresses to cook for you guys!!!! :angel:

You could try a campfire pizza. Just get a couple of Pre-cooked crusts and some fixins then toss it into the pan. The smokey flavor is yummy, try with bbq sauce also instead of red sauce.

I agree with the bratwurst. Toss in some sliced green peppers and onions. Add some buns and mustard and it's a great meal.

Fry up some hot dogs, add some baked beans, heat and serve over buns.

Welcome Zorbin...

Some questions. Is it possible to post a picture of the fry-pan? If not what is the dia. and depth of the pan?? You also mentioned a dutch oven. What size (dia.) is it.? With this information we may be able to come up with other ideas in addtion to the great ones already given.

Zorbin said:
I'm seeking suggestions for pub-style food that I can serve around the campfire to 15-20 guys. I have a wonderful old chuckwagon type frying pan that is big and deep enough to fry anything imaginable. Last time I tried to do dry ribs (braised in a dutch oven first) with ok results. The time before that I tried chicken wings - not recommended due to an interesting experience with flaming chicken fat.

I need bar food - not the usual campfire fare - that can be cooked over an open flame in my amazing frying pan. Thanks for your suggestions.

Are these guys campers? Some reason for taking the wedding party out to get consumed with mosquito bites, sunburn, etc.?

Why are you not taking them to a nice clean Pub where you can delight them with all kinds of good food?

Are you the groom? :huh:

Nope this event is not from a year ago. 07-07-07 is the day. Yes i am the groom. And the reason we went for a backpackers wedding is because that is who we are, we didnt want a generic traditional wedding that would really just be a drag for us. We wanted to make it fun and personal. Taking shots of Tequila for the toast, with shot glasses we bought for the occasion saying, "I survived the (NAME) wedding 07-07-07. I thought it was an original idea that would leave a lasting memory. Oooops, wrong thread lol, not my bachelor party, Zorbins lol sry had a couple of shots on an empty stomach while cooking.

Last edited:
NO Wait! Bogatee.

So Much Fun!!!!
How I wish we could have had a "backpack wedding".
And I live in michigan????? how much fun would that be? WOW
Plus I'm a Camp Cook(for YMCA). You are the luckyist darn person I've ever not met just to know the good stuff that we as all good cooks or Chefs really know!
First of all..
Pack Light.
Tee shirts
shorts
sweets(we mean sweats ha ha).
make sure you've got a sleeping bag that will go to at least 20Deg or below. ( believe it or not Mich can get freezing at night!).
Snacks & goodies ( such as chex mix, cookies, beef jerky,raisons,fruit,water,power bars,crackers,dried fish (such as chubs, or Salmon)
dried cherrys(very pop in mich).sunscreen
and of course our mich know how!
have a cooler,with lots of ice.
A couple gals of Bottlied water.(yep you'll need it believe me!)Unless you know the waters your drinking? And such Good luck to Hon hope It's like mine was for us!! Live,Love & Eat..Plus Lots of hugs from Us.To you.....

I paella is a way to feed alot of people. It is doable over a campfire.

Also gobs (southern term meaning a lot of) shrimp. EVOO and old bat and garlic sautee until done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom