Going camping and need ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I need your help.
In a few weeks we are going up to Maine to go camping for my b-day. We probably will not be taking any cooking stuff with us. Some nights we might build a bonfire and some nights we won't, I am going to need to have some stuff on hand to eat for a full meal. Does anyone have any recipe ideas, or helpful hints? Oh, I'm not crazy about dried fruit.

This is the only thing I thought of so far:
energy bars
some stuff for smores
potatoes (for bonfire)

Cold fried chicken,ribs already done heat over fire,good cold cuts and cheese and great rolls,potato salad already done, coleslaw,pasta salads,maybe kabobs cooked over fire,chile and beans ,cornbread all already made if you can take a small cook stove with those small propane containers you can heat all kinds of stews etc.And of course lots of snacky things.DONT forget some desserts.Fresh fruit etc.
Im guessing your car camping if not then this is not what you want.

Last edited:
make up some bbq, you can cook it on the fire with a metal pan
chips, little debbies snack cakes...

Burritos are ALWAYS good for Camp!:chef:

You can fill them with whatever you like, and they are individually wrapped and ready to munch whenever!
(foil wrap will allow you to throw them on the fire to "warm-up")

I usually always make "Eggs/Chorizo/Cheese"
Burritos for Camp... :punk:

I am going to be camping with a tent away from the car. We will probably be gone for about 5 days, 2 days we will be out on an island. I didn't think that meat would be good if I wasn't able to keep it cool? I thought maybe some type of bean dish might work.

Nuts are a great thing to take camping.

Maybe something like a couscous dish without meat (don't use chicken stock to cook it).

Beef jerkey
bags of mix with nuts,raisin, etc... {they have them with m&m's and fruit}
lots of water
gatorade

How about those premade dehydrated camping meals. There is a lot more variety and they taste decent these days. Also if you have access to an Army surplus store maybe they have some MRE's (Meals Ready To Eat). They are easy to pack, do not take a lot of room, and some even come with their own heat source. Actually I think you can even get those online.

Are you going to possibly be near a stream or other body of water where you might be able to catch some fish? Nothing is better than fresh caught fish on a camping trip. Of course you can't count on that as your only source of food, but if you get lucky you might get a nice fish or two to have as a treat.

You need to take me too, I can fish and cook:LOL:

Maine is the one place I want to see before I die!
Love the shorelines with the lighthouses and old homes.
I really envy you!!:cool:

GB, that is acutally the first thing I thought of, but then my bf told me that he checked up on it and found out that he has to get a license. He is going to try, but is really busy right now. We should be by some streams and by the ocean. Thanks for the advise. Please keep them coming you have given me some ideas to start with.

When we go back packing I always pack, pre cooked chicken for the first night.
cookies, candy, nuts, eggs and precooked bacon for the first morning,peanut butter and jelly and bread, those little packages of flavored oatmeal,
dyhydrated meals, bananas, sliced celery and baby carrots.
Hot chocolate, tea, sugar and coffee and powdered coffee cream.

If we are car camping I bring a huge cooler and bring the whole dang refridgerator!

We have a small backpackers campstove though so we have a few more options.

My grandfather use to make something he called pothole beans. He would dig a hole put logs in it and let it burn down. Then he would put into a pot Great Northern Beans, onions and some pork and most important water (if you don't want to carry meat, maybe some salt pork added). The pot had a lid but after putting the top on the pot, he would cover it in alunimum foil. Then he would put the pot in the ground, cover it with the the hot sand and hot coals and add more wood on top and let it burn. The next day we had one of the best great northern beans that I have ever had. I don't know how it was so different than normal, but they were delicious. There was very little evaporation but make sure you have enough water in the pot where you don't have to add more water in the middle of cooking.

Last edited:
First I want to say that if these ideas don't make sense, it's because I haven't camped since third grade "teepee town". With that said....

-Bring Parmalat for your coffee (it doesn't need refrigeration, and comes in little juice-box sizes).
-Hershey's chocolate milk comes in juice-boxes and needs no refrigeration.
-Perhaps canned chicken broth may help with the couscous idea?
-My neighbors camp all the time at the beach, and they make jerky to bring on each venture.
-There's also a beef stroganoff recipe that she and I cook and freeze. She brings one family sized portion (frozen in a freezer bag) and then it's defrosted by dinner time, and they just heat it up.

I thought I would let you know how the camping meals turned out.

The first night I had taken some frozen chicken out of the freezer earlier that morning that had been marinating in italian dressing and by the time we got there it was ready to go on the fire. We also had homemade beef jerkey.

The dehydrated food came out pretty well. The lasagna was a little runny, but good and the stroganoff was very good.

The 3rd night we had lobster which I put a picture of it in the members photos.

chicken4resize5rk.jpg

jerkey1resize1xb.jpg

dinner2ndnight2resize6xu.jpg

dinner2ndnight4resize5fj.jpg

dinner2ndnight6resize2ik.jpg

dinner2ndnight8resize1qb.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom