Hobo dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NAchef

Sous Chef
I did a search and was surprised not to come up with anything.

Anyway, I am going camping this w/e and was wondering what different recipes everyone had for hobo dinners.

hobos earlobe marinated in merlot, olive oil and bay leaf is quite delicious!! be sure not to poke him with a stick b4 u cut it off though...they can get quite "antsy".

however...if that does become a problem for you, a bottle of nighttrain usualy will calm and distract them enough for you to slice off the most juicy and tender parts of the hobo! :-p

haha

I will remember that next time I eat a hobo! haha

Thanks for the links Constance. Have you tried any of those that you like?

Not really. I used to camp a lot, but we usually grilled burgers, steaks, pork steaks, brats, hot dogs, corn on the cob...things like that. I also brought a lot of food from home...potato salad, slaw, tomatoes for slicing, etc.
Seems like we made hobo dinners at Girl Scout camp, but that's been eons ago, and the S'mores were the only thing I really remember.

Hobo dinners

I remember them from Boyscouts.

Hamburger
Carrots
Celery
Onions
Potatoes
Salt & pepper
All cut up and sealed in aluminum foil and set in the coals of a campfire.

Usually burned on one end and raw on the other! (Maybe we should have turned them, from time to time):LOL:

The one meal I remember from my Girl Scout camp days was called "Glop", & it was actually quite good - good enough for me to actually make it once I returned home. It wasn't made in a packet, but rather in a large dutch-oven-type pot over the campfire. Consisted of (if I recall correctly) rice, ground beef, canned stewed tomatoes, & cheese (American, I believe).

I have to admit that my "camp cuisine" has improved greatly from those days. As an adult camper, I bring along a little 2-burner propane stove, a large skillet, a saucepan with cover, & a cooler full of provisions that enable me to make omelettes or other breakfasts involving eggs & breakfast meats, grilled sandwiches for lunch, & the likes of turkey piccata, stirfries, or other such stuff for dinner. And I've learned to always bring extra, as 9 times out of 10 the people we go canoeing/camping with provision themselves with things like doughnuts for breakfast & hot dogs for dinner (which is fine unless that's all you're having 3 days in a row. . . ), & I end up feeling badly - lol!!

Constance, there are some brats in this neighborhood you could grill. I'd even provide the sauce!

There are many ways to make Hobo Dinners. Typically they have some type of meat, some vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes), other desired ingredients (rice, soups, garlic cloves), and seasonings (salt and pepper, onion powder, any seasoning that you have and like). The possibilities are only limited by your imagination. See How to Make and Cook Foil Dinners for other ideas.

Back in the 1980's I was a Girl Scout Day Camp Director. From past experience with Hobo Dinners, we found if you added an ice cube along with all the ingredients it helped to steam the food and slow the burning process!!

Cathysue said:
Back in the 1980's I was a Girl Scout Day Camp Director. From past experience with Hobo Dinners, we found if you added an ice cube along with all the ingredients it helped to steam the food and slow the burning process!!

Great tip, CathySue! I do remember someone suggesting that, but I have never tried it. I often put rice in mine, and just before I seal it all up, add a little water to help steam the rice (and the rest of the food).

I have seen some who put newspaper in between two layers of foil and then wrap the dinner in that. They say that it helps keep the food from burning.

And then there are those that partially microwave the food before wrapping in foil, so all they have to do is warm it up at the campfire, but that is cheating to me! ;)

To me, this is what a hobo dinner is...

Large dutch oven or have even seen new galvenized steel garbage cans used, placed over a fire.

Meaty ham bones and lots of smoked sausage, cut into bite-sized chunks
several cabbages, cut in 1/8
lots of carrots, cut in big bite sized chunks
lots of onions, quartered
several heads of garlic, with skins off and separated into cloves
at least a couple of pounds of fresh tomatoes, quartered
several pounds of potatoes, cut in quarters
Any other fresh veggies--green beans, zucchini, peppers, etc. cut into bite sized chunks
Fresh ears of corn, broken into 1/2s or 1/3rds
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil this mixture until veggies are tender. Yummiest.

Walt Bulander said:
I remember them from Boyscouts.

Hamburger
Carrots
Celery
Onions
Potatoes
Salt & pepper
All cut up and sealed in aluminum foil and set in the coals of a campfire.

Usually burned on one end and raw on the other! (Maybe we should have turned them, from time to time):LOL:
Hey, mine never burned! Darn they were good, weren't they?!!!:clap:

Growing up mom would make what she called Hobo Hash.....in fact I fixed it for brunch Sunday. Its where you fry potatoes in veg oil, crumble in fried bacon and then scramble some eggs and add the egg mixture to the potatoes and bacon....season with s & p.

Not sure if this is considered Hobo food or even if the above is but something I make when camping is fried potatoes in aluminum foil. I slice the potatoes not super thin but not real thick, slice or dice some onion, add s & p and dollop with butter and wrap with heavy duty aluminum foil and put it on the fire and turn every so often.
For a dessert slice a banana (still in the skin) long ways but not all the way through and pry the banana open some and add pieces of chocolate and mini marshmellows and then wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil and put on the fire......doesn't take long to cook. Its ooie and gooie and soooooo good.

Back
Top Bottom