ISO DO help for Thanksgiving meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jammero

Assistant Cook
I know it's a bit early but I need suggestions for a DO Chicken or Pork main dish for Thanksgiving so I can do a bit of practicing ahead of time. DW and M-I-L will be doing the turkey. I'd like to do a ham if I could (that's my DW's favorite for Thanksgiving but any suggestions or recipes will be appreciated). I'll be using my deep 12".
One thing I forgot to mention. This will be for my in-laws so I have to do good. My mother-in-law was impressed with the sweet bread I fixed (my first attempt with the DO) but for a main dish, the family is not so sure. Conventional oven or grill/smoker are more what they consider the norm.
Any and all recipes, suggestions and opinions will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Jammero....

If the women folk are doing a turkey inside, then a DO ham would be good!

Almost any "baked" ham recipe will work, but I would suggest you use a pre-cooked butt portion ham to begin with. You can tooth pick pineapple rings and maraschino cherries to the ham for a festive look. A tasty glaze can be made from Orange Marmalade and/or pepper jelly. Or one of your own choosing. For your Deep 12 you will need about 30 briquettes. 20 on top, and 10 on bottom. This will put you in the 350* range inside the oven. Place the ham on a trivet (which can be a tuna can with top and bottom removed) and preheat the oven with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup liquid inside.(Water, pineapple juice, cherry juice mixture would work) Place the ham in the oven on the trivet and cook for about an hour and 15 minutes. About every 15 minutes rotate the oven 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, then rotate the lid 1/4 turn clock wise. This will help maintain even temperature and prevent hot spots from building up. Add the optional glaze during the last 15 minutes. Allow it to cool before slicing.

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Edit to Add. When you rotate the lid, don't lift it letting out heat.Just slide it around.

Last edited:
DO like in Dutch Oven... I have used apricot and pineapple jam as a glaze for my ham
just heat it up in the microwave and pour it over your ham. I even make a apricot/
pineapple jam that I put marascino cherries in it, that would be purfect for your ham.

Thank's for the referal Katie E, that was mighty neighborly of you. And thank's for the ham recipe Uncle Bob. Not only does it sound great, it tells me the two things I needed to know the most. How many coals and not to raise the lid when I rotate it.
auntdot, the dutch oven I have is a deep 12" cast iron pot with three short legs on it so you have room to place coals or wood for bottom heat and a lid with a ring in the middle to pick it up and a tall lip around the edge to help hold coals for top heat so it will cook like a kitchen oven. Uncle Bob, if I explained any of that wrong would you please straighten it out for me.
bigjimbray, that apricot and pineapple jam sounds interesting. I think I might have to give it a try. Thank's for the tip.

Jammero your description was excellent!! Good luck with the ham. The 30 briguettes will get you going. Depending on wind, outside temps etc you may have to add a few more later in the process. Just keep roughly 2/3 of the total on top and 1/3 underneath. Keep the ash build up off of the lid as it tends to cool things down somewhat. A small whisk broom works well.

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

Sounds like a great idea, Jammero. One year we did our entire Thanksgiving dinner in Dutch ovens, and it was so much fun.

Does your wife have a favorite ham recipe she uses? If so, you might consider just using it. The nice thing about using a recipe you're familiar with is you know what to expect. That's a big help when you're learning a new technique. You already know what the food is supposed to do and what it'll look like when it's done, etc. It saves a lot of wondering if it's cooking as it should, because you already know how things should progress. That way all you'll need to concentrate on is getting the heat right, which generally isn't that hard.

I've only cooked a ham once in the DO and used pretty much the same method as Uncle Bob described. Although instead of using a regular trivet, I placed my ham on a bed of pineapple rings. Anyway, here are a couple of recipes I have in my files. Maybe they'll give you some ideas.

Pineapple Glazed Ham

12-inch Dutch oven
1 (6 to 8 pound) bone-in ham
Whole cloves
Glaze:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (14-ounce) can crushed pineapple
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Take meat out of package and prepare by poking a series of small holes in it using a special meat tenderizer or fork. Place in your Dutch oven, fat side up. You may have to trim a little to fit it into pot. Cover surface of meat with whole cloves, about 1 every inch. Arrange 16 coals on the lid in checkerboard pattern and 9 coals on the bottom in a ring close to the outside edge of oven. Roast until inside temperature is 170°F, changing your coals during the process when they are spent — about 1 hour later. You may want to inject the ham with pineapple juice during cooking process. Prepare glaze by mixing all ingredients together in an 8-inch Dutch oven or saucepan. Stir thoroughly. Place on low heat, stirring occasionally until thickened. About 30 to 40 minutes before serving, remove all drippings and moisture from around meat inside the pot. Pour glaze all over meat and replace lid. Make sure you have hot coals around the outside edge of the lid. The glaze will solidify and sweeten the ham. Cut meat into chunks and serve with your favorite vegetable. Takes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Tangy Glazed Ham

1 (5 to 7 pound) precooked ham
1 (15-ounce) can pineapple rings
1 (2-ounce) bottle maraschino cherries, optional
1 cup water
Glaze:
1 (8-ounce) jar orange marmalade
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
6 ounces amaretto or almond/cherry liqueur

Mix the glaze ingredients together and let sit while you're getting the charcoal ready. Place the ham on a rack in a deep 14-inch Dutch oven along with juices from the cherries and pineapple and the water. Brush the ham with the glaze and any other seasoning you wish to add. Place pineapple rings on the ham with a maraschino cherry in the center of each ring, if desired. Use toothpicks to secure pineapple rings and cherries to ham, if needed. Set the Dutch oven in a firepan with 8 to 10 briquets underneath and 12 to 14 around the outside of the lid and cook for an hour. Brush ham with the remaining glaze 2 to 3 times during cooking.

Recipe adapted from Cee Dub's Dutch Oven and Other Camp Cookin', Page 111

Hallelujah! Someone who knows what a Dutch Oven really is!

If wind and/or low ambient temperature is a problem, Jammero - dig a hole in the back yard about 2-4 inches wider and deeper than your DO - and build your fire in that ... then proceed like Uncle Bob said.

Building your fire in the hole will warm the earth around it ... and it will serve as a wind barrier and thermal insulation to help keep your DO more evenly heated. That's a trick I learned from a couple of my uncles.

And, hey ... GOOD LUCK!

Great advice, Michael. Another option, if you don't want to dig a hole, is to use a piece of aluminum roof flashing for a wind break. It's simple, inexpensive, and easy to use and store. Here's a picture of ours in use.

2i8xkso.jpg

Hey Dutchess, good to hear from you. How was the DOG? Hope you and your SO had a great time.
My DW uses consentrated orange juice and brown sugar for her glaze. The glazes you provided along with the others I have been sent make it hard for me to decide which I want to try first. I may just take a few ingredients from each and see what I can come up with on my own. They all sound so good.
The suggestions for keeping the wind out are appreciated also (thank's Michael). For now I have a tire ring from an 18 wheeler I can set the DO in. I use it for fires when we have a get together down here.
For one a bit more portable, I am going to use a suggestion I saw in a post where someone was using an old electric skillet. With the legs on it, I don't have to worry about the surface it is sitting on and with the handles on each side, it will be easy to carry even if the coals are still hot when I finish cooking.

Last edited:
That sounds like one real nice roast recipe you have there Garry. Thank's alot. I just finished copying it down and putting it with the other recipes I have recieved from this thread and I'm looking forward to putting it to good use soon. My DW and I do a lot of camping and it seems like fixing that one would be a real good way of spending a cool afternoon in camp.
As far as the 'other white meat' goes, my DW roasted a lot of Deer hams when we were hunting and had our own smokehouse (and once got real lucky when we were given a good sized Elk roast by a good buddy we used to Bow hunt with) but for Thanksgiving she wants a simple Pork butt or shoulder.
If anyone else has a recipe that would be good for Thank'sgiving feel free to post them for me. I already have some great ham recipes, now I could use something for a veggie plate and a dessert.

When you say deep about your DO, you really mean it. To get a large ham in there, it must be a deep one. I did a small pork shoulder not to long ago in my 10” DO, and with the meat on a trivet, the top skin ended up just touching the lid.....got nice and crispy too.

How did you want to cook your vegetables? Are you thinking of doing them I a DO as well, outdoors via another method (grill?), or indoors? A Green Bean Casserole is pretty much standard fare that we have every year at Thanksgiving. I actually made a GBC a couple of weeks ago in my DO, and it turned out great. Just use 2/3 top heat to 1/3 bottom heat (350 degrees) for about 35 minutes and your good to go.

Also, I like making a medley of veggies that include cabbage, potatoes, baby carrots, onion, corn on the cob, and 1/3 cup good chicken broth. Cook that for about 35 minutes (or until the potatoes are tender) and you’re set. You can even make mashed potatoes in the DO if you like.

All I'm doing this time is a ham. I figured with what everyone else will bring, that should be enough altho I may do the ham in the morning early enough to let the DO cool enough to clean just before everyone get's ready to eat and put on a sweet bread to cook while we are eating so it will be finished about the time everyone is ready for dessert. It would be nice and hot and ready to go.

Jammero, we had a great time at the National DOG. It was a weekend full of great food, fellowship, and fun. The weather was perfect, and the state park was beautiful. It just doesn't get much better than that.

It sounds like you've got a great action plan for Thanksgiving. I'm sure your wife and MIL are going to love and appreciate your efforts!

depending on the type of ham, other incredible glazes include:

For a smokey, spiral sliced ham - honey mustard glaze using equal parts buckwheat honey and spicy-brown mustard

For a whole, boneless ham - Score the skin in a criss-cross pattern and insert whole cloves like you would lardoons. Sprinkle with nutmeg and brush with butter and brown sugar.

Another truly great (and my personal favorite), glaze for a spiral sliced ham is butter and pure, grade-B maple syrup (hey, I'm from Michigan) with a light sprinkling of garlic. Also, when making the glaze, add a few drops of mesquite flavored liquid smoke. Yum. This ham will impress everyone as Maple is usually an unexpected and uncommon treat for most folks.

And Uncle Bob, I'm impressed with your knowledge of DO temperature control. Good job.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, I was just looking earlier today at the most recent issue of Cook's Illustrated, which has an article on ham. One of the glazes they recommend for their Glazed Spiral-Sliced Ham recipe is a maple glaze. It sounded really good. Now with your recommendation about using maple, I may just have to give it a try. I have an unopened bottle of grade-B maple syrup just begging to be used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom