"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Usa
Posts: 191
Making Chili "The Old fashioned Way"

Hola everyone.

I have a Griswold Dutch Oven A full bag of coal left over from my comp.

I like to dig a big enough hole to drop about a chimney and a half full of Lump coal in to the hole, And lower my dutch oven in there for making Chili?


Any tips?

The OutDoor Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Good luck.
I have never been able to cook any kind of bean dish that way. Not one that used dry beans anyway. I could never keep the coals from snuffing themselves out long before the beans tuned soft. I finally resorted to setting the DO by the campfire. I imagine I was doing something wrong, but I played with it four times before giving up.
I'm interested in your results.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Usa
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Good luck.
I have never been able to cook any kind of bean dish that way. Not one that used dry beans anyway. I could never keep the coals from snuffing themselves out long before the beans tuned soft. I finally resorted to setting the DO by the campfire. I imagine I was doing something wrong, but I played with it four times before giving up.
I'm interested in your results.
Did you Bury the char coal and the dutch oven?

They seemed they didn't get enough oxygen?

Mine will be a shallow hole. And I will show some results.
The OutDoor Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Yes, the recipe I was using called for coals in the hole, then set the DO in the hole, then coals on the lid, covered with a thin layer of dirt. Everytime I took the DO out of the hole the coals were only 3/4 burned, the DO was warm, but the beans were always hard still. I will say it retained heat 12 hours later... but never cooked enough, obviously due to the charcoal going out. I played around with the hole size and depth some, but could never get the charcoal to stay lit and still bury the DO like I was supposed to.

ETA: without soaked navy beans that were still basically hard, it may have worked. Or if I precooked them first. That would not have stopped the coals from going out though.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Usa
Posts: 191
Pecanis,

I am cheating I am going to use canned beans.

I may just use my weber grill to do them properly.
The OutDoor Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OutDoor Chef View Post
Pecanis,

I am cheating I am going to use canned beans...

Wouldn't that make it semi old fashioned? Sandra Lee might be interested.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Usa
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Wouldn't that make it semi old fashioned? Sandra Lee might be interested.
Ok you got me Andy. You are right. That would be semi old fashioned.
The OutDoor Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OutDoor Chef View Post
Ok you got me Andy. You are right. That would be semi old fashioned.


...but still good. Nothing wrong with canned beans.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Semi old fashioned would be good, just so it doesn't come out semi cooked ;^)
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Usa
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Semi old fashioned would be good, just so it doesn't come out semi cooked ;^)
I hear you Pacanis.

:)
The OutDoor Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Glad to hear a favorable discussion about chili with frijoles but I think the use of charcoal for grilling meat or baking pizza is more rewarding. I can make good chili on a stove but can't say the same about grilled meats or pizza.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Glad to hear a favorable discussion about chili with frijoles but I think the use of charcoal for grilling meat or baking pizza is more rewarding. I can make good chili on a stove but can't say the same about grilled meats or pizza.

Didn't someone recently post an article discussing the authenticity of beans in chili?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Didn't someone recently post an article discussing the authenticity of beans in chili?
Either I missed that article or the article was consistent with what appears to me to be the generally negative tone on this forum regarding the use of beans in 'real' chili.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,642
Every-time I make chili it starts with, "Soak one pound of beans..."
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Well, to be honest, I can't remember the last time I made chili with beans
I'm in a "chili has beans" area, and I like beans in chili, I just don't add them anymore. Probably because I don't set out to make chili and then buy the ingredients. Chili is always a by product of smoked pork or brisket, so I use what I have on hand... and I don't got no beans in the pantry
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well, to be honest, I can't remember the last time I made chili with beans
I'm in a "chili has beans" area, and I like beans in chili, I just don't add them anymore. Probably because I don't set out to make chili and then buy the ingredients. Chili is always a by product of smoked pork or brisket, so I use what I have on hand... and I don't got no beans in the pantry
No beans??? How do you have fun after the meal??? Yes, life in an Ogre fambly!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No beans??? How do you have fun after the meal??? Yes, life in an Ogre fambly!
I have progressed beyond the need for outside stimuli


__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I have progressed beyond the need for outside stimuli


__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Either I missed that article or the article was consistent with what appears to me to be the generally negative tone on this forum regarding the use of beans in 'real' chili.

On the contrary. The article was arguing that beans in chili were authentic. The argument sounded valid to me. It stated cooks on the trail would use beans as a filler to stretch meat meals. Dried beans would have traveled well and provided needed nutrients.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
I'm a big fan of beans. They were a mainstay in my paternal grandfather's diet and he lived to be 96.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chili

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.