Mountain Man Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
MOUNTAIN MAN BREAKFAST
Ingredients:

12" Lodge Camp Dutch Oven
24 charcoal briquettes
2 pounds sausage
2 pounds frozen hash brown potatoes
8 eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup water
2 cups grated cheese

Directions:

Fry and crumble the sausage in the Dutch oven over 24 coals. Remove cooked sausage and drain on paper towels. Using the sausage drippings in the pan, brown potatoes and spread them evenly in bottom of Dutch oven. Place cooked sausage over potatoes. Pour eggs over sausage layer. Sprinkle top with cheese. Cook with 8 coals underneath Dutch oven and 16 on top for 20-25 minutes, until eggs are cooked.

Serves 8

I have this dish in the oven as we speak. I used:

1 pound sausage
1 pound hash browns
1 diced onion
1 diced red bell pepper
12 eggs
2 cups cheese
salt and pepper to taste

I cooked the sausage, onion, bell pepper together in a pan and then threw everything into a cassarole. Then I tossed some green onions and black olives on top for good measure.

I just ate, and this thread is making me hungry again! I love breakfast food!

I don't have either cooking implement (dutch oven or cast iron), which stinks. I do make a hearty scramble that is very simple, yet delicious. There are a couple renditions.

1 potato, washed and diced (skin on/off your call, but I leave it on)
4 XL eggs
My rendition of Emeril's Southwest Essence (Big Dog Bam?)
2 - 3 tbsps. unsalted butter
Copious amounts of shredded cheese(s), your favorites (cheddar for me)

Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the potatoes and sprinkle rather liberally with the essence. Cook until potatoes are done and nicely brown. Crack the eggs over the skillet and "scramble" in the skillet. Once the eggs are about 1/2 cooked, sprinkle with the cheese(s), so it melts and binds together with everything else. Add a couple slices of toasted, buttered Texas Toast as a side, and you got a serious Mountain Man breakfast. The above recipe provides 2 healthy size servings, or one serious Mountain Man serving.

A second rendition is to use toast instead of the potatoes. This expedites everything as you don't have to cook the toast since it is toasted. You need a tbsp or two more butter due to the absorption by the bread, but otherwise follow the same steps.

Also, the amount of essence is easily varied, so adjust to your taste. I tend to go a bit strong, but I just love the essence. When I say it is my rendition, I've just taken the recipe from Emeril and make it at home, with measurements being done more in the style of Rachael Ray then the precision Emeril details. I don't really know what to call it legally since it is the same ingredients as E's essence, but not necessarily the exact measurements of each spice. I guess I just won't worry about it, since I am not posting the recipe! :LOL:

Why do I always find these wonderful recipes when we have a ton of food in the fridge and the stores are closed?

Would add a splash, OK, OK, two splashes at least, of hot sauce. And maybe a small sploosh (no, it is not a word but I would add more than a dash and a bit less than a whole splash) of Worcestershire sauce.

And I love the idea of the olives and the green onions. Would probably add some sliced green olives to it though, I do love them so.

Sorry Raine to be morphing this recipe. But at the moment I am getting into a Mediterrainean type of food mood, or mode.

An urge I will have to stifle for at least the next two days cause our fridge is full of seafood for Christmas.

LOL, and best wishes to you all.

This dish has always been a great hit with Scouts when we have gone camping in cold weather. It provides a great breakfast to get everyone going on cold mornings.

Pook said:
Wow! I need to try this. Hmmm, I'll need to get a Dutch oven and season it first. Oh boy! More new stuff! Thanks!
Hugs,
Pook

I'd bet you can do this on the stove top with your existing cookware, but I won't tell.

The first part of the recipe on top of the stove...the last part in a covered casserole/dutch oven/etc in the oven will produce the product....It want taste as good...mainly because of the atmosphere...something about...the cool morning...the open fire...the smell of wood smoke...the outdoors...makes it mo-better!!!:LOL:

This was the very first recipe I made after getting my DO. It was fantastic!

I'm making it again for the manager's of the RV park we're currently staying at. They've never eaten DO cooking before. So far while we've been here, I've made a Black Forest Torte with Cherry Brandy for a chocolate lover's meal, a pineapple upside down cake for a pot luck, a chicken pot pie, an Apple Crisp for a rib barbecue we had, a pineapple cherry dump cake for another pot luck, and Best Buttermilk Biscuits. The biscuits were my very first attempt at making biscuits, and I didn't burn them. :cool:

Sounds great--I think once you start Dutch oven cooking, you kind of get hooked. I did a delicious chili cornbread dish the other day with a peach cobbler for dessert. It doesn't get much better!

Back
Top Bottom