My first time with a DO.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jammero

Assistant Cook
I have been checking out the recipes and picking brains on this forum to see what would be the best thing for me to try as my first attemt with my DO...... I decided it would be a sweet bread.
I saw a recipe for "chili bread" that I substituted cinnamon, sugar and brown sugar for the chili powder, using two cans of Pillsbury golden layered honey butter biscuits in a bundt pan, (clean up was a breeze).
Between my DW and myself, I don't know who was more suprised at how good they turned out. I had to slap my own wrist to get myself out of them. Even my mother-in-law liked them.
Thank's to everyone that has answered my questions and have been so helpful with suggestions.
Now I have one more request (for now at least). Does anyone have a recipe for a crispy baked chicken in a DO? I have an idea of what might work good but any tried and true recipe would give me an advantage.
Oh yeah, my DW is all for me helping her with the camp cooking now. LOL

The nature of the DO is to lock in steam and moisture, so it’s going to be hard to make a crispy crust like oven fried chicken in the small space of a DO because of the moisture. Even without adding extra moisture, you have drippings that will contribute to the humidity in the DO and make a soggy crust.

The best bet, and it’s one I’ve been thinking of trying soon, is to use boneless skinless chicken breast. Boned chicken isn’t ideal for crispy coatings unless you mean a browned and crispy skin? Bone chicken takes longer to cook and has far more drippings which add tot eh moisture in the DO.

Boneless and skinless breasts have very little fat and will not cause much dripping and therefore not much moisture. With breasts, use a classic oven fried chicken recipe. You can use flour, bread crumbs, crushed corn flakes, corn chips, or even a shake-and-bake mixture.

Coat the breast (about 4), and put them on a trivet to raise them off the floor of the DO. Split your coals for 1/3 of the coals under the DO and 2/3 on top. You want mostly top heat here for good top browning which is the side that you’ll serve up. As for cooking time, they should be done in about 30 minutes, so it’s a fast dish. To make cleanup even easier, line the bottom of the DO with aluminum foil.

Personally, I think I’d go with bread crumbs or finely crushed (through a food processor) corn chips or even Doritos. If you use corn chips or Doritos, it adds a Mexican flare that allows you to top the chicken breasts with salsa while serving.

I’ve actually coated chicken breast in crushed Doritos and baked them in the oven, then top with cheese during the last 3 minutes of cooking to melt and then serve with salsa spooned over the top of each breast, and it is amazing. Great corn tortilla type flavor, tender breast, cheese and SALSA! It can also be done easily in the DO as described above. Fire roasted peppers, jalapeños, refried beans, sour cream, etc, etc…..all great along with this.

Thank's keltin, other than the doritos, those are the types of crust I had been thinking of and I had been wondering if the oven would hold in too much moisture or if adding enough coals to the top would offset that.

Thank's keltin, other than the doritos, those are the types of crust I had been thinking of and I had been wondering if the oven would hold in too much moisture or if adding enough coals to the top would offset that.

It may for bone-in pieces, but for skinless and bonelss breasts, you're good.

Back
Top Bottom