Pineapple Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's my next task. I googled my local area meat markets, and some are asian. I have about 5 places to call tomorrow.

I called Trader Joes and Whole Foods. No luck. I'm gonna have to try the local butcher market places.

Also, some say the organic sellers grow smaller chickens, but that they are expensive. They are, yikes...$6.99 a lb.

I wouldn't mind paying that I suppose, but so far all the organic chicken parts are large split chicken breasts , just like everyone else's packages.

Last edited:
I buy organic chicken. It's free range too, so it has a lot of flavour. It's $11.99/kg ($5.44/lb). I separate the breasts from the chicken and they are not huge. I refuse to pay a huge premium just so I won't get the bones for stock and the limbs for me. (DH doesn't like dark meat.) I think the boneless, skinless breasts are twice as much per kg.

absolutely! you can save a pretty penny if you learn how to break down a chicken, then how to remove tbe bones.

does anyone spatchcock anymore?

Now that I know I want the sauce thicker so it doesn't drain thru the rice on the plate and how to make it that way, and adding a lot more peppers, red, yellow and green...I'm sort of eager to try making this recipe again. I'll use thighs if I can't get smaller sized chicken breasts. I just really like a bit of skin fat and how it absorbs flavors. I also like how bone-in chicken adds something to the taste.

absolutely! you can save a pretty penny if you learn how to break down a chicken, then how to remove tbe bones.

does anyone spatchcock anymore?
Still learning how to get the breast off the bones so it looks nice. I don't bother taking the bones out of the thighs. I like the extra flavour from cooking the meat on the bone, and DH isn't going to be eating the thighs.

I haven't spatchcocked a bird yet. I keep meaning to.

thighs are tricky, but you have to think there's gonna be an ugly side and a smoothe side. sorta the same thing with breasts. the tenderloin is all fingers.

my wife actually asked me once if i could skin and debone a wing for healthy buffalo wings. lol.

i'm gonna try going to a small asian butcher shop or wherever where they may possibly start out with smaller chickens to begin with, before cutting them up. Most whole chickens I see at my 3 supermarkets are still kinda large.

I'm just not that crazy about boneless skinless chicken, tho I'm sure they make for good dinners. Crispy chicken tenders, popcorn chicken, Mcnuggets...lol.

I just don't like boneless skinless big chicken breast recipe meals where they are cooked up full sized. I tend to cut them up into smaller pieces on the plate and they didn't much absorb what flavors I added.

I suppose I could have cut those large boneless skinless pieces into chunks. I think that's maybe what I should have done since I didn't have bone in skin on breasts. That way when serving on the plate, it wouldn't be this huge hunk of chicken with no flavoring inside.

Last edited:
I deboned thighs once. Not worth the effort to me.

I was a member of a computer club that had potluck Xmas parties. One of the members, a chef, brought a deboned turkey. He hadn't cut it into pieces! It was still one piece. I'm boggled.

As little as a few years ago bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts were available everywhere.

Thanks a lot, all you who made boneless skinless chicken breasts the norm.

Thanks a lot blubber lovers !

I blames you.

Boneless skinless, boneless skinless, boneless skinless, boneless skinless...

Last edited:

I was a member of a computer club that had potluck Xmas parties. One of the members, a chef, brought a deboned turkey. He hadn't cut it into pieces! It was still one piece. I'm boggled.
It's not really all that difficult to bone out a whole turkey. You just need a sharp boning knife and a lot of determination. Boning a chicken and leaving it whole is more difficult and a duck is a nightmare.

I've boned out turkeys and stuffed them with a pork based stuffing which included all the odd bits of turkey that came away with the bones. Great for big parties as it makes the carving easy and the bird goes farther. I've never done the 3 or 4 bird roast though, as it seems a bit too far to go.

It's not really all that difficult to bone out a whole turkey. You just need a sharp boning knife and a lot of determination. Boning a chicken and leaving it whole is more difficult and a duck is a nightmare.

I've boned out turkeys and stuffed them with a pork based stuffing which included all the odd bits of turkey that came away with the bones. Great for big parties as it makes the carving easy and the bird goes farther. I've never done the 3 or 4 bird roast though, as it seems a bit too far to go.

My Daddy would do boneless turkeys for his meat market during the holidays, and Mama would make the sausage stuffing. He could make a big profit on all the special orders that would come in from all over town.

I have to hand it to you MC, as it takes a great deal of skill to do it right. He left the legs intact.

Last edited:
What is chicken or turkey without the the bones? Lump meat.

I bought one of those big turkey boneless thingys one Thanksgiving.

I never will again. Parts are parts, this thing cooked up weird.

Give me bones for flavor and skin for flavor...what do I care if I die a year earlier because of the fat.

Last edited:
Caslon, just cut those big bone in breasts in half..it's no big deal with a good knife.

I hardly ever use breasts when thighs are so much more flavorful, less expensive and can take longer cooking time, as this recipe requires.

I suppose so...lol

Would that be like small bone in chicken breasts you get at KFC and El Pollo Loco and Church's fried chicken?

Doesn't the size of the chicken from the get go factor in?

Last edited:
I suppose so...lol

Would that be like small bone in chicken breasts you get at KFC and El Pollo Loco and Church's fried chicken?

Doesn't the size of the chicken from the get go factor in?

I don't quite understand these questions. A large bone-in chicken breast cut in half is not like a small bone-in chicken breast; it's just a large one cut in half.

Factor in to what?

When chicken thighs are on sale, I will stock up on them. Half will go into the freezer as is and the other half deboned for frying. I have done it several times just this past year. Thighs are my favorite part of the leg. :angel:

My wife would not eat dark meat or skin if you pay her. So I try to buy whole chicken and take the breast out for her. Takes couple of minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Back
Top Bottom