Pineapple Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TIM524

Assistant Cook
Put a layer of onion and potatoes in the bottom of my 12'' d/o, then added 4 thighs and 4 drumsticks, dumped a can of pineapple juice in and seasoned the meat.

Added a can of stewed tomatoes, some onion and bell pepper, then topped it with the pineapple rings.

Put some heat to it and let it cook for about an hour.

The last 15 minutes I added my favorite BBQ sauce and let it finish:chef:

It was AWESOME:)

About ten years ago my daughter asked me if I could come up with a dinner dish that had pineapple. Not a dessert. Hmmm....

I bought a roaster, loosened the breast skin, put a pineapple ring under the skin on each breast, put the chicken on a rack and poured the pineapple juice into the bottom on the pan. S&P on the skin, and stuck it in the oven. When it was nice and brown, you could see the outline of the rings. Looked so pretty. I then took the juices, pineapple and chicken drippings and made a reduced sauce and melted a pat of butter in it for thickening. Her family raved about it all week. She made her own mashed potatoes. This was a recipe that I just winged on the fly. I wouldn't touch it. I hate pineapple. And a pineapple sauce on mashed potatoes did nothing for my appetite. I ate at home that day. :angel:

Wow that looks fantastic. I have Dutch oven, I should try your recipe. Thanks for sharing your recipe Tim.

looks and sounds great, tim. i have a pineapple looking for a purpose in life. hmmm...

my wife would appreciate that you removed the chicken skin.

Is it coal on the top of the chicken?

Yeh ''Charlie. A tradition from the days of being out on the range with the herd. Cookie (the cook) would put the food in the spider (what the pan was called if they had legs on them) and set it over hot coals and place more coals on the lid. Notice the lip around the edge of the cover. This was to keep the hot coals from falling off and burning the foot of Cookie when he removed it to check on the food. The whole thing is cast iron. The food cooks faster with this practice. Cowboys didn't want to wait for their grub. CI pots were the choice of all the Cookies out there on the range. It cooked the food fast and even over a campfire. :angel:

That looks tasty good. I don't have a dutch oven like you so I've been Googling how to make it using a large cast iron skillet instead. I found some recipes that I'll be trying soon. I wonder how I can add some sourness to make it sweet and sour chicken using the pineapple? Maybe I should look up that recipe separately.

Last edited:
If you don't have the time or the dutch oven - this is a great one.

Hawaiian Chicken
4 chicken breast or pieces equalivent
Mix together & coat chicken pieces
1/2 cup flour
salt & pepper
Brown chicken in 1/3 cup of oil and set aside
Sauce;
1 13- 15 oz. can chunk pinneapple - drained saving juice - set pinneapple aside.
drain juice into a 2 cup measuring cup, then add enough water to make it 1 1/4 cups
Place juice into a sauce pan and add:
2 tbl cornstarch
3/4 cup cider vingear
1 tbl soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp chicken bouillon cube ( or add chicken broth to the pinneapple juice)
whisking constantley till comes to a boil
Place chicken into a baking dish
pour sauce over chicken
Top with pineapple and 1 green pepper sliced (I do for color a mixture of red and green)
Cover tightly and bake 350 degrees for 45 min and uncovered for 15 min or until chicken is done
Great served with rice.

The pineapple chicken recipe sounds good, so does yours [letscook]. I might try yours because I'd like that little bit of sourness. I just need to get the chicken, bouillon cube , pineapple chunks and green pepper. I have arrowroot instead of cornstarch.

Also, I want to halve your recipe as 4 chicken pieces are too much. I guess I can just halve the ingredients.

Last edited:
The pineapple chicken recipe sounds good, so does yours [letscook]. I might try yours because I'd like that little bit of sourness. I just need to get the chicken, bouillon cube , pineapple chunks and green pepper. I have arrowroot instead of cornstarch.

Also, I want to halve your recipe as 4 chicken pieces are too much. I guess I can just halve the ingredients.
I've used a bit of apple cider vinegar for sourness. If you do add something sour, then arrowroot should theoretically work better than cornstarch.

I've used a bit of apple cider vinegar for sourness. If you do add something sour, then arrowroot should theoretically work better than cornstarch.

From a web source. "It’s an excellent substitute for cornstarch and flour as a thickening agent in sauces, gravies, pie fillings, and puddings. Arrowroot starch is neutral tasting and tolerates acidic ingredients, such as citrus".

For a second there, I was a bit confused with your reply, then I thought it over.
Arrowroot will go well with the other ingredients in this dish that sour it and are acidic, such as the vinegar. Noted.

Last edited:
From a web source. "It’s an excellent substitute for cornstarch and flour as a thickening agent in sauces, gravies, pie fillings, and puddings. Arrowroot starch is neutral tasting and tolerates acidic ingredients, such as citrus".

For a second there, I was a bit confused with your reply, then I thought it over.
Arrowroot will go well with the other ingredients in this dish that sour it and are acidic, such as the vinegar. Noted.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I did a lot of Googling when I was looking for a substitute for potato starch. I can't really say from personal experience whether or not arrowroot is better with acidic stuff than cornstarch, but my research tells me arrowroot should be better for acidic stuff.

If you don't have the time or the dutch oven - this is a great one.

Hawaiian Chicken
4 chicken breast or pieces equalivent
Mix together & coat chicken pieces
1/2 cup flour
salt & pepper
Brown chicken in 1/3 cup of oil and set aside
Sauce;
1 13- 15 oz. can chunk pinneapple - drained saving juice - set pinneapple aside.
drain juice into a 2 cup measuring cup, then add enough water to make it 1 1/4 cups
Place juice into a sauce pan and add:
2 tbl cornstarch
3/4 cup cider vingear
1 tbl soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp chicken bouillon cube ( or add chicken broth to the pinneapple juice)
whisking constantly till comes to a boil
Place chicken into a baking dish
pour sauce over chicken
Top with pineapple and 1 green pepper sliced (I do for color a mixture of red and green)
Cover tightly and bake 350 degrees for 45 min and uncovered for 15 min or until chicken is done
Great served with rice.

Question. I bought 2 large boneless chicken breast halves weighing a total of 2 lbs. Would that be the equivalent of 4 chicken breasts bone in? They're rather large sized. Ok to cut them in half? I think I'll not halve the recipe since 2 lbs looks like quite a lot in boneless breasts.

Question. I bought 2 large boneless chicken breast halves weighing a total of 2 lbs. Would that be the equivalent of 4 chicken breasts bone in? They're rather large sized. Ok to cut them in half? I think I'll not halve the recipe since 2 lbs looks like quite a lot in boneless breasts.

Yes you can cut them. If they are really thick, you may want to pound them so that they are the same thickness all over the breast. They will cook more evenly if they are the same thickness all over. Only use what you need, freeze the rest. :angel:

i'm not sure how well boneless skinless breasts would work with either of the recipes. i mean, they'd still be ok but i'd think they'd dry out.

i guess the sauce would make up for that to some degree.

Thanks for the tip about making them equal size. They do taper off at the ends.

I wanted bone in chicken breasts for this recipe. The thing is, my nearest supermarket (Albertsons) only has these huge bone in split chicken breasts, 2 per pack. Whatever happened to modestly sized bone in chicken breasts? I mean, when I visit KFC or El Pollo Loco, their bone in chicken breasts are modestly sized, not gargantuate like the ones for sale at Albertson's. I'm going to Ralphs and then Vons (Safeway) supermarkets to see if I can buy modestly sized bone in chicken breasts. Boneless skinless are mostly what I see now in chicken breasts. And the bone in breasts are split chicken and are HUGE.

Last edited:
yes, huge breasts are over rated. :cool:

ya still gotta love meaty thighs, though. :rolleyes:

how do you feel about roasts? i'm a rump man, myself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom