Pull Apart Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
Last night was Dutch Oven Monday night. We had some friends come over, and we decided to serve a pot roast with mashed potatoes, carrots and a mixed berry crisp for dessert. We call this kind of roast "Pull Apart" roast because our son called it that when he was little. If the meat is a good quality roast, then when finished cooking, it does pull apart with just a fork.

Unfortunately, the roast we had wasn't quite that good. It tasted good, and it was not tough, but it didn't pull apart like we would have liked. I just think that it was the quality of the meat and not the way it was cooked. This was the first time that we cooked this in the dutch, and it took the same amount of time as it does when cooked in a conventional oven.

It's just a good, basic roast recipe that provides a nice, comfort meal.

Pull Apart Roast

12” dutch oven

Ingredients

Pot roast ( 3 1/2 – 4 lbs.)
2 pkgs. beefy onion soup mix
1 can beefy mushroom soup
1 bag baby carrots
1 medium onion
6 cups hot water

Place roast on trivet in the 12” dutch oven. Combine hot water, onion soup mix, and mushroom soup. Mix well and pour over roast. Add carrots. Peel and slice onion and add to dutch. Cover and cook at 350 – 375 for 3 hours.

Remove roast when cooked and keep warm. For gravy, strain cooking juices and skim fat. Pour juices into a saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth, gradually stirring into the juices. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes

Serves 8 - 10

Attachments

• Pull Apart1.JPG
    Pull Apart1.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 220
  • Pull apart3.JPG
    Pull apart3.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Pull Apart6.JPG
    Pull Apart6.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 219
  • Pull Apart7.JPG
    Pull Apart7.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 233
Thanks for sharing, sounds yummy. Looks like maybe you used a rump roast,- myself I use chuck rst. all the time. Pure comfort food !

Actually, it was a chuck tender. We hadn't tried one of those before. And since the store didn't have any good old pot roast, we tried it. :glare:

Ol-blue said:
I make something similar but use less water. The chuck tenders do seem to have a rump roast like texture. I prefer a pot roast any time.

Yup, I agree. ;)

Unless, of course, you're talking about the fish and chips at the Airport Diner at he Bremerton Airport! Ooooooo, that's good. :-p

Ol-blue said:
So are you from the Bremerton area?

Actually no. We spent 3 months at Belfair State Park as camp hosts last year. We just fell in love with the area, especially all of the good eateries. :) We'd love to come back again. Although I have to be honest and admit that we didn't have a lot of rain during our stay, so maybe that would change our minds. :rolleyes:

Golfgar4 said:
Actually no. We spent 3 months at Belfair State Park as camp hosts last year. We just fell in love with the area, especially all of the good eateries. :) We'd love to come back again. Although I have to be honest and admit that we didn't have a lot of rain during our stay, so maybe that would change our minds. :rolleyes:

Belfair State park is a nice park. I bet you enjoyed it. You should come back. We have been having rain for the last few days. It's a nice relief from the couple 99 degree days we just had.

We loved it at Belfair. We've hosted all over the country, and Belfair is absolutely our favorite so far. We'd come back in a minute, but there's so much more to see that we haven't seen yet.

Garry, that looks delicious! I'd guess they would have fallen apart if you cooked the a little longer. They are hefty chunks of meat and would take some time to reach the right internal temp to fall apart.

If you have an instant read thermometer, cook until you reach an internal temperature of over 200 F in the meat. I usually shoot ofr 205 - 210 F. Guaranteed to fall apart.

When does it go dry?

Andy,

When will a roast start drying out? Or does it just keep getting tender?

Thanks,
T

Pot roasts start out as tough meat. That's why you make them into pot roasts, to tenderize them.

You cook the roast to an internal temperature of over 200 F to break down the connective tissues that make it tough. The first step is that the meat is sliceable and tender as Garry's was in the above posts. Cook it a little longer and the connective tissues break down further and you have a Fall Apart Roast. In BBQ, this is how you get pulled pork.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom